• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Watching that video, it’s interesting that the original Bubble Works had about 50 animations. A lot more than it does now. With modern technology there should be the opportunity to do something at least as good, but I agree, I wouldn’t be entirely optimistic. If they did re-theme it I suspect they’d either:

-See it as an opportunity to get a major new ride without spending much money, and do it on the cheap.
-Use an IP. In fairness there are some really good IP based rides, so this wouldn’t necessarily spoil it (Scooby Doo has been suggested)
-A lot of dark rides now use TV screens and projection. Again, there are some really good projection based rides, but on something like Bubble Works I think it’d take away the charm and the screens wouldn’t really fit in.

Maybe they should get some VR headsets, sit people in a room, and let them visit the Chessington from the 90s. That could make a nice day out.

Maybe they should get some VR headsets, sit people in a room, and let them visit the Chessington from the 90s. That could make a nice day out.

Never thought I'd see the day where nostalgia filter goggles would literally exist :p

A BubbleWorks restoration would only be forced and fanservicey if they did it unfaithfully. Which is what is most likely to happen since the original really was a product of a time & culture so different to now. Undoubtedly if they did attempt to recreate the original, it would turn out to be overly sentimental and all about Professor Burp; missing the point of the original entirely.

However a restored theatrical ride that fulfilled exactly what the original BubbleWorks did to entertain, and that captured exactly that spirit, would go down well for everyone. In fact if the ride was still around today exactly like it was in 1990, I am sure it would be a big success for the park, as its appeal was more or less universal.

If they got a passionate project manager who was in touch with show & theatre, and used real designers who understand the heritage of the industry (in fact the original designers mostly still work and are still some of the most talented people in the UK creative industry) then you easily could match the original BubbleWorks on fun. Plus, these days you could have a far big budget than they were given at the time

I would also like to point out that, whilst enthusiasts enjoy nostalgia, Chessington's younger target market would gain little from bringing back the original Bubbleworks. Commercially it would be far less of a marketing pull than a whole new dark ride experience, despite the fact that we all know that the original ride is far better than any second rate IP based dark ride.

Does it have to be identical to the original though? From a nostalgia point of view - yes, as a ride - no. The original theme, but different story would work better imo. It could be marketed as new, but would have the appeal to us to. The ip never really worked. "take a trip to a magic soap factory which is clearly an advert for imperial leather and has the logo plastered everywhere" doesn't appeal to anyone the same as professor burp's bubbleworks did.

They should never go back to the old Prof Burp version, because it would never be the same... It would feel forced and an attempt to get people in purely on nostalgia and not moving forward...

Best option is to gut the building and keep the ride system for a complete retheme... As it's unlikely they would remove the ride system as well...
I agree it wouldn't be quite the same, but I still think it could get pretty close if some of the original team are involved, and as a lot of the set is actually still in place.

I don't think it would feel "forced" though. Every change is an attempt to get people in, and an attempt to get people in based on nostalgia seems pretty great to me personally, based on some of the alternatives. I'm not sure why nostalgia is a negative. I just really don't feel like anything superior can be built in that show building, or I would agree it would be better for a new ride. Given the ride has the same name still, and it wouldn't be expensive to change it back, I see no reason for them not to change it back if the sponsorship deal comes to an end.

I'm just being realistic based on what we can expect Merlin to do with the building. For me, it seems like the cheapest, most likely, and best option for the future of the ride. The only other likelihoods are that it gets closed and not replaced, or just left how it is. The chance of them building a revolutionary new boat ride which brings back the original fun of the Bubbleworks, but for 2016, seems unlikely.

Last edited:
When I was a young child the ride was already old, broken and dirty, but it didn't seem at all designed for the 90s. It may as well have been there since forever, or newly built. It has only become sentimental and nostalgic in people's mind since years after it closed

I think it should do people's memories and new generations service by becoming a ballsy, effortlessly fun and eccentrically daft show again. There are many ways to do this, none of which Merlin's current creative process really allows to happen.

I just don't think it's a good idea to go backwards and try to imitate something which closed over ten years ago. Would kind of look desperate.

It's like when Oakwood closed Ber Rabbit in 2013, a lot of people said that they should bring back the old Nutty Jakes Gold Mine ride and I really never saw the point.

People would just compare it to the old one and straight away the "it's not as good as the original" attitude would kick in.

You clearly never went on the original BubbleWorks or have any insight into to what familes respond to & are entertained by, if you are comparing this case of possibly restoring a famous and highly influential dark ride to 'Nutty Jakes Gold Mine' .

And every day on park you would hear parents, who were children on the ride years back, talking to their kids about going on "Professor's BubbleWorks" only to be disappointed that it had become almost unrecognisable. It's part of the heritage of the area (I don't think it's a nostalgic thing at all, the original ride was deliberately non-sentimental in its approach to fun), restoring it faithfully with real designers (with or without the "Burp" or fizzy drinks themes) would at least bring some personality into the ride and move it on from the warehouse-with-lights confusing experience it became.

Last edited:
Never say never to the original Bubbleworks coming back.

I'm sure if Robot Wars can make a comeback, surely Professor Burp can too.

Also from Chessington Buzz:

"Alongside the new show the park will also be introducing another new attraction, subject to planning, on new land purchased to the top of the parks Explorer Car Parks, with a view to open alongside Explorer Glamping in May. It’s looking set to be a solid addition to the Resort, with some pretty unique features which will be revealed in a future article when planning permission is confirmed in early February."

Could just be a tree top rope course, of course.

Also from Chessington Buzz:

"Alongside the new show the park will also be introducing another new attraction, subject to planning, on new land purchased to the top of the parks Explorer Car Parks, with a view to open alongside Explorer Glamping in May. It’s looking set to be a solid addition to the Resort, with some pretty unique features which will be revealed in a future article when planning permission is confirmed in early February."
I'm sure that was Cancelled a few weeks ago, may be wrong though.

Let me guess... they will be adding VR headsets to Tomb Blaster? Because why have only one theme-ruining gimmick when you can have two?

Reactions: Ted
The other new attraction is the previously announced high ropes course, only it is having some brand changes to the plan.

Tomb Blaster was been cleaned out, basically doing all the maintenance that should have been done in previous years all in one big job. So it should be much improved and a little more colourful/fun as a laser shooter.

Reactions: Tim