• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand, that ride looks awful and would be a terrible investment, but on the other hand, chessington haven't got a new ride since zufari.

I'd rather a park really thought through a new attraction rather than adding a ride just so they can claim they have something new...

Thorpe is a perfect example of why that way of thinking is a bad idea...

Not all a bad thing they're not getting anything new if being honest.

This can hopefully they can start tidying and fixing the park as minus Wild Asia, Scorpion Express & most of the zoo, much of the park and it's rides are in a poor state right now.

Bumping this for more Merlin cuts! Tucked away on the FAQ page of Chessington's website are the following gems of hilarity/depression (depending on how much you actually care about Chessie):

Safari Skyway

Safari Skyway has been a firm favourite for many years and in fact was one of the original rides at Chessington World of Adventures Resort as it opened as a Theme Park back in 1987. As a result of ongoing maintenance issues, the decision has been made to retire Safari Skyway from the Chessington ride offering. This was a difficult decision to make as we know the ride has been a firm favourite amongst our Adventurers over the years however with exciting new shows and attractions planned for the 2016 season and beyond, we’re committed to ensuring the continued development of the Resort.

Rameses Revenge

Rameses Revenge is a fantastic ride at Chessington World of Adventures Resort and, during peak season, provides Adventurers with the ultimate theme park thrill. Due to the very nature of the ride, Rameses Revenge tends to be favoured by guests visiting us during the peak season and as such the decision was made to only open this ride during peak dates during the 2016 season. With over 39 other rides and attractions, a Zoo and SEA LIFE centre plus new shows and events for 2016, including a UK first with our new interactive live show – Pandamonium - there is too much to do in one day at Chessington!

I'm somewhat interested to know how they're defining 'peak' for the purposes of actually running RR, but for much of next season Chessie will be without an inverting ride.

I think it's safe to say Paultons is now better than Chessington.

Whilst they excel in new additions with much love and character, Chessie's downward spiral is continuing. The park needs serious investment, paint, new shows and Glamping cannot help a slipping park.

After the widespread theming removal and Zufari I completely gave up with this place.

It became plainly obvious that the 2010 season and Wild Asia was just a one-off rather than a template for future development moving forward like it should have been.

Like Alton Towers it needs to fail and fail hard before it ever stands a chance of getting better.

Also Ramese Revenge will only open on peak days.

Rameses Revenge
Rameses Revenge is a fantastic ride at Chessington World of Adventures Resort and, during peak season, provides Adventurers with the ultimate theme park thrill. Due to the very nature of the ride, Rameses Revenge tends to be favoured by guests visiting us during the peak season and as such the decision was made to only open this ride during peak dates during the 2016 season. With over 39 other rides and attractions, a Zoo and SEA LIFE centre plus new shows and events for 2016, including a UK first with our new interactive live show – Pandamonium - there is too much to do in one day at Chessington!

Got any links to where it says about SS?

Definitely wasn't my favourite ride, but some good memories. RR was one of my favourite rides at the park, but what does peak mean? Weekends? School holidays? Just events?

Both pieces of news are hidden in the FAQs, not exactly the first stop for guests seeking information...

Peak is weekends and holidays... Mostly as Rameses needs a min of 14 people to run, but the excuses given in the official line is Merlin gold...

Embarrassing is too light a description...

And yet people still blindly throw their money at Merlin....
And some even spend their time complaining about it on the internet, too!

I don't ride either of these when I visit, so I'm not losing too much sleep over them. Skyway has looked in need of some love for a long time, in some ways I am surprised they are running RR at all.

Is Dragon Falls operating?

RR never used to need a minimum of 14 people. Is this a new thing?
I think since that incident in 2013 it has been. Sadly the ride like most the park is on its last legs and I wouldn't be surprised if only has a few seasons left. Would like to see it replaced, but then we have Merlin.

Despite being more of coaster/dark rid person, Rammy is still one of my favourites in the park rated 4/5th of all rides. Decisions like the above are not helping anything and I'm already considering not renewing my pass in November.

Well they have spare parts for it sitting in the car park and engineering stores at alton :D

Last edited:
RR never used to need a minimum of 14 people. Is this a new thing?

Last time we went there was a long wait to get a minimum number of riders together, so this sounds correct. and given it took 20 minutes to get that minimum on a weekday, keeping it closed on weekdays isn't a big problem. If it breaks it won't get replaced with a thrill ride, but I really hope it does get some kind of family-thrill replacement.

BUT Chessington really need to build a new ride, all the focus on new animal habitats is all well and good, but their dark rides are ancient and it just doesn't feel like they are in a rush to add anything major.

Oh for goodness sake... it's a funfair ride! I don't see the appeal of it myself - but I gave up on flat rides a few years ago when I nearly threw up after doing one at Carters!

Oh for goodness sake... it's a funfair ride! I don't see the appeal of it myself - but I gave up on flat rides a few years ago when I nearly threw up after doing one at Carters!
It's a well themed park model flat ride. Not a funfair ride.

It's also something that caters for those after a thrill - something that is in short supply at Chessie.

Not to mention the fact its crowd pleasing for those who want to watch.