• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

I think it's more having some areas with some really basic fencing, such as Heide Park using a single chain link to 'stop' people entering the Rapids storage area...

However even in Germany gates that open into actual physical ride areas tend to be locked... The Spanish rides and the Taxis come to mind at Europa... It's common as muck...

Thankyou Benzin. A totally fair point. Locked gates on theme park rides preventing injury is common and it also makes perfect sense. I really don't see what the problem is. It's a padlock, what's the problem? Why is it even an issue? It's not like having that padlock affects throughputs or guest experience.

I've got a bit lost with this thread, but are 'we' arguing over a padlock on a gate in to a ride area? What exactly is the issue here?!

I just felt it a bit over the top thats all, I hadn't seen it on Rameses before but if it makes people feel safer from entering that area or watching someone else enter that area and get splattered then it is serving some kind of point, I personally just find it to be completely unnecessary as I didn't need to be locked out of somewhere I would have to be absurdly stupid or have a death wish to enter. I feel that if someone was wanting to get in that section whilst the ride was going, they would regardless of a little padlock, but as you guys said it is only a padlock, its stealing the limelight of the entire park atm, so I will add that from our trip Market Square looked the cleanest I can remember it being in several years :)

I've seen first hand how people will completely forget safety and walk into restricted areas to try and communicate with staff, "look after" their kids or just generally enter either because they feel like they're doing the right thing or they're just impatient, and it not even occur to them that they're putting themselves in danger. This is why you not only see padlocks on gates, you also see electric sensors, double locks or locks out of guests' reach on ride area gates. It prevents the potential problem and it's the case on a lot of ride area gates at parks. It really isn't over kill and I'm very surprised that you've made an issue of it. It's not all about guests with a death wish at all, you'd be surprised at how little regard for common sense a lot of people have.

Reactions: Tim
People let their kids climb rocks and fences on queuelines then get confused as to why they get told off or get hurt...

Amount of times on Buccaneer when no one realises how close your head can come to the bottom of the boat...

Likewise I've seen many occasions when guests have thought its reasonable to let themselves through gates.

Having a guest attempt to leave a ride doesn't happen anywhere near as frequently. Sometimes it does happen but if the ride is in motion the operators attention is always on the guests so they can attempt to stop them. But you can't expect the operator to focus on the ride and the entrance points.

Since the park tends to be liable for any injury suffered by guests regardless of reasonings behind it, that's not an option... Which is why we end up with metal fences because they don't rot and become dangerous...

Maybe I give too much faith in peoples common sense, but treating people like idiots isn't going to help them stop being idiots. I understand prevention is better than cure, but I think in some of these examples people should have to take some responsability for their own actions. I would prefer to goto a park that didn't have to have danger of death signs everywhere and could trust your guests enough to not enter a section where a ride is operating that could potentially kill them without having to physically lock them out from it but it sounds like it would be far too much of a dangerous place, I would call it "Natural Selection Park" enter at your own risk ;)

Until we live in a world where people don't scale 6ft tall fences to retrieve their hat, then that will never happen...

All this stuff comes from the risk assessments anyway, and given that even the German parks lock gates that go directly into ride areas, I don't see any problem in it...

Guests cannot be trusted to look after themselves in the UK, I've also seen people open locked gates and put children over fences into ride areas... Until people learn to behave, parks must take precautions, otherwise as mentioned before, the park is liable...

At Wallygator, the only thing seperating the path from Monster's ride area ... and I remind you that Monster is a 131 foot tall, 56mph B&M invert with a ground hugging helix ... is a row of small shrubs less than 1 foot tall.

No one has been killed yet.

No one has been killed yet.
It's worth noting that they only have that ride because its former owners took such a poor (non existent) approach to health and safety that resulted in the tragic death of a young woman.

I understand some frustrations with H&S but not this particular angle. We are raising a generation of ragamuffins who believe everything to be safe because we do have such a focus on it. I genuinely don't think people people believe that certain things can be dangerous, they think it's all taken care of.

Look at the sea deaths recently - I think people assume all is well all the time, there isn't even a thought that something like going for a swim could end your life.

If you ask me, anyone who sets foot in the sea is asking for a grisly death. Even if you don't get eaten by some unseen kraken lurking under the waves, have you seen the stuff we dump in the sea? I'd feel safer swimming in my toilet the morning after a heavy night of beer and curry.

It's worth noting that they only have that ride because its former owners took such a poor (non existent) approach to health and safety that resulted in the tragic death of a young woman.

I understand some frustrations with H&S but not this particular angle. We are raising a generation of ragamuffins who believe everything to be safe because we do have such a focus on it. I genuinely don't think people people believe that certain things can be dangerous, they think it's all taken care of.

Look at the sea deaths recently - I think people assume all is well all the time, there isn't even a thought that something like going for a swim could end your life.

I agree, live near camber and its infuriating how townies have little respect for nature and safety. one of the deceased family called for the beach to be closed! - like it's chessington! I'm sorry but you can't protect those who can't read signs (of which there are from all car parks) or know the basics of safety at the seaside.

I went to CWOA today. It was terrible. More on this later! Essentially their operations and managing queue systems needs work compared to other parks in the U.K...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk