• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

To be fair, it's not just Merlin or theme park operators who are doing it. I was surprised to find out when I visited last month that Wookey Hole caves has its own resort hotel!!!

Oh no, it's certainly not just Merlin. Gullivers have also been adding accommodation, as have Crealy. The new Gullivers Resort they're building will feature a significant holiday village. And now John Broome's bought the Cornwall Crealy, they're also looking to add a significant holiday village. Wasn't Longleat talking about accommodation, and they're competing for a similar market to theme parks?

Some parks have done very well by adding accommodation. Walt Disney World was one of the first theme park resorts, and almost certainly wouldn't be nearly as big without all the accommodation. Europa Park's the biggest park in Europe after Disney. One of the factors behind their success was getting in on the accommodation market relatively early. A lot of enthusiasts seem to feel that Flamingo Land gets more visitors than it 'deserves', and the success of their Holiday Village may well have something to do with that.

Alton Towers is certainly the most rounded resort in the UK with a water park, spa, mini golf and high ropes course. If any UK justifies lots of accommodation then it has to be Alton Towers. But it's hard to see how the British parks can keep on growing their overnight offerings when the actual number of people visiting the parks is falling, and many of these parks seem to have falling standards. Given that Legoland is now the UK's most visited theme park, their new hotel probably will do well. A new Lego film coming out soon will also help their profile. But I can't see the bubble lasting much longer.

It's generally accepted that one of the main reasons that Disneyland Paris lost so much money, is because they severely overestimated how much accommodation they needed.

Er, Lightwater valley has been starting to build their lodges in the spring...
Yup, spring 2014,
spring 2015,
spring 2016...
They shut the wonderful "Pub in the Wood" three years ago to do this.
I think there is more chance of them getting T'Ultimate to run smoothly.

Er, Lightwater valley has been starting to build their lodges in the spring...
Yup, spring 2014,
spring 2015,
spring 2016...
They shut the wonderful "Pub in the Wood" three years ago to do this.
I think there is more chance of them getting T'Ultimate to run smoothly.

Hence why I said looking into, I know it's been planned for years

For anyone on Twitter you might like to have a look at @loneyeiskeeling account. This is the guy who Merlin commissioned to undertake a report on the state of the park in 2012 after the incident when a girl fell from the Tomb Blaster queue line due to rotten fencing.

The relationship between this guy and Merlin appears to be interesting in itself with all sorts of legal issues arising since he undertook this work. However putting that aside, the Twitter account posts lots of pictures that were taken as part of the report and shows just how bad the state of the theming across the park got. Apparently Merlin spent £4.6million on 'improvements' following this report so I assume things aren't like that now. However it's worth a look.

I knew theming on rides like the Runaway Train and Dragon's Falls looked to be in a bad way but I didn't appreciate quite how unsafe it also appeared to be. This guy is saying that he literally fell through the ride evacuation platform in the RMT mountain as it was so badly rotting. Other stories like the key to the access door of the giant Buddha being lost so that they didn't realise over a ton of rainwater was storing up in its head area making it unsafe are also pretty shocking.

Anyway have a look and see what you think.

These pictures are shocking, it looks like a park that has been abandoned for years. *Insert usual stuff about Merlin being 'second to Disney', happy with how the parks are going etc*

I can't say I'm too surprised. After all, if Merlin aren't prepared to spend any money on at least making things look well maintained and presentable, what are the chances of them actually spending money on preventative maintenance? Hopefully the Smiler incident has made them re-evaluate their rather lax stance in this area.

With that being said, there's something a bit off about the way this individual has chosen to share this information. He may have grievances with Merlin but at the end of the day, they paid him to carry out an H&S audit. This usually comes with at least an assumption of confidentiality, if not a signing of an NDA or similar. Mounting a Twitter campaign against the company showing the world their H&S transgressions accompanied by snide comments doesn't come across as overly professional.

As bad as some of those photos are, I get the impression this isn't just about whistle-blowing. A lot of those posts are more than a bit melodramatic. If I were a company looking to employ someone for an H&S evaluation, I would think twice before using this person.

Last edited:
That's amazing, he's on a one man quest and it's just utterly ridiculous...

Claiming over 1000 injuries taking place at 4 separate parks over a 10 year period is something to be truly concerned over? Not unless every single incident was akin to the Smiler, since RIDDOR would note down every type of incident, be it serious or a graze...

Bet most of Chessie's stuff involve child injuries off Playhouse...

I think he is rather odd.
A lot of is interesting but I have to question some of his posts.
Had to laugh at his video on Twitter about objects falling from coasters. The example was teenagers mostly ride looping coasters, teenagers may also carry knives, if a knife falls from the coaster it may just land on the ground no harm done or it could hit a child.....

Bit dark.
Is he suggesting they search people/use metal dectors before getting on rides? Is he suggesting nets around coasters?
What is the point of that video?

Have Merlin had problems in the past with flying knives hitting children?

The man is ridiculous. If this is even real (I have my doubts), this is extremely unprofessional of him. Showing pics of bad practice is fine, but this seems more like a childish emotional vendetta. Even his little videos look like a kid made them. I strongly suspect this is a fake account.

He does seem a very strange individual, not seen the videos but the way he tweets and the frequency, as well as what he's saying, he seems a bit odd.

Doesn't take away from how bad a lot of what he's revealing is though.

If Buddha's head had fallen off and hit someone then obviously it would have been tragic. At the same time 'man hit in a theme park by falling Buddha head' does sound like the sort of thing that would happen in the Simpsons.

You can imagine the start of the news story, 'We've got break news in from Surrey. A man at the Chessington World of Adventures theme park was walking towards the log flume, when a great big Buddha's head suddenly fell from the sky. Experts don't expect any more heads to fall from the sky, but they are advising guests to spend the day looking up as a precaution.

You can also imagine the jokes people would be making, 'heads are going to roll', etc

Last edited:
He seems a bit hysterical, although some of what he posts I can believe, his stuff about the Smiler goes against the H&S investigation and his London eye beef doesn't add up.

Sounds like there is a grudge here, wonder if he is the same guy who stands outside the parks with the "Merlin operate unsafe theme parks" signs.

No matter how bonkers he is Merlin hardly help their cause with the state of their theme parks.

I believe this is a feud that has been running for several years. I may be wrong, but I suspect he was bought in as a consultant soon after the Tomb Blaster accident in January 2014. These photos clearly aren't new given that they pre-date Scorpion Express. If this feud has gradually been escalating over several years, then I don't suppose we'll ever hear the full sequence of events or anything close.

From what I can make out a 4 year old child fell through an elevated queue line probably due to rotted wood. This Peter Cave was bought in to try to help resolve these issues. Somehow we've gone from that to this Twitter feed. He clearly resents Merlin very strongly, and without a lot more information it's impossible to judge how justified his resentment is. But I do agree that it's very unprofessional. You'd have thought that such a breach of confidentiality would make it difficult for him to continue his trade. But if he's got a doctorate and he's an expert safety inspector he presumably isn't stupid, so he may well have thought of that.

Like some of his stuff DOES make sense, but things like his tweet about bushes with poisonous berries, how the parks expect adults to keep an eye on their kids and how there's a hotel close to Chessie where Binturongs can escape just show that clearly there has been a mass falling out and reduces his legitimacy...

I'd also like to see a breakdown of the RIDDOR reports and see how many are actually major... I know when I worked there a piece of masonry fell off the Vampire archway on someone's head (like, a tiny piece you could fit in your hand here, nothing massive), and that would probably have been reported and the bloke certainly wasn't injured... Angry, but not injured...

I was more surprised that Legoland only had around 100 such incidents in 10 years, that's amazing for a kids park!

I wanna see a pic of the crazy man who placards Merlin parks now...