• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Runaway Train - theming removed
I dislike Chessington as much as the next person, but how has the theming been removed on Scorpion Express? I visited for the first (and last) time in June but genuinely thought that the Scorpion Express theming was the best in the park. That's not difficult, I know, but it actually looked good. Nothing more, nothing less.

:)

My opinions on Chessington these days are summed up by a certain South Park episode that revolves around George Lucas and Indiana Jones. To say any more outside the Tavern would be a breach of this forum's T&Cs.

I dislike Chessington as much as the next person, but how has the theming been removed on Scorpion Express? I visited for the first (and last) time in June but genuinely thought that the Scorpion Express theming was the best in the park. That's not difficult, I know, but it actually looked good. Nothing more, nothing less.

:)

They failed to replace the mountain thus highlighting the fact the ride is nothing more than a cheap figure-8 powered coaster.

Some 2D back drops and and a few fire effects do not make up for the loss of any proper immersion or the illusion there was more to the ride than there actually is.

I understand the park has strict planning restrictions that prevent any remotely large developments. So, therefore there is no excuse why the money has not been spent making the existing park and attractions first rate in theming standards.

'Scorpion Express' is anything but first rate and wouldn't even be considered impressive at a regional park like Paultons or Lightwater Valley. Yet the rest of the park (Wild Asia aside) is such a dive now this is seen as the best of the park's offerings. Truly depressing.

Getting Merlin Annual Passes for this season but don't even think it's worth it, especially with no major thrill rides!

Because Alton Towers is my home park and despite having its issues I still love it. Also it's an great excuse for Legoland and Thorpe! :)

Edit: sorry if I caused confusion, my previous comment was just about chessington!

Except for Thorpe, where is their glory?

It would be great if Merlin stepped aside from the non branded theme parks and sold them to someone who gives a damn.

The annoying thing is chessington has so much potential!
It has a lot of expensive liabilities that they're slowly working through. In addition, it has chronic planning problems. It also doesn't have great capacity across the park, so while it's important to maintain the attendance - I'm not sure how much you would wish to grow it. They seem to have little problem attracting people the last couple of times I've been there, they must be doing something right.

Blackpool and Paultons are perhaps more deserving of custom right now.
This is something that I think enthusiasts forget sometimes. We're all consumers - irrespective of our interest level in the parks. If the parks really aren't working for you, vote with your feet - that's the key way that you can make your thoughts and feelings heard. Keep spending your hard earned cash at the parks and hating every second of it must be the least satisfying of all your hobbies.

Go to Blackpool at watch them spend 20 minutes loading the National and convince yourself it's quicker than Galactica. Go to Paultons and pretend that Cobra is just as good as Nemesis.

The above doesn't work for me, but if it works for you - crack on, son.

I think, well in fact I know, that the park having severe planning problems is a little exagerated. What projects which went to planning have they actually had refused by the council? The 10 year master plan years ago was approved which included attractions on the fields behind Fury and Beanoland as well as others all over the place. Heck they even had planning permission for a woodie granted before the 10 year plan, but But only some of these were carried out. They have built two hotels and even the ropes course got planning permission despite local objections.

As much as Rick isn't going to like it, the Merlin parks do the bare minimum needed to increase profits for the shareholders. If Merlin chose too, they could spend millions getting Chessington and the others back up to scratch, but they don't / wont as there is no return of investment.

Chessington is a park which attracts lots of families and a lot of them are pass holders. They go to Chessington as where else are they going to go with kids for a cheap day out with their passes that are too old for Legoland and too young for Thorpe? The only thing that Chessington have done right is that they have attractions for the whole family.

In my opinion, Paultons is a better day out than any UK Merlin park at the moment. Pleasure Beach is also a great day out too and as much as I hate to say it, is the park that has got my money for the past two years.

I have voted with my feet. I haven't been to any Merlin park or attraction since June 2015 and neither do I intend too in the future. I have a deep love for Alton Towers and will not visit until the corporate pleasing the shareholders before the customers is ever in place.

Even my none enthusiast friends and colleagues have mentioned to me how bad the parks are and may have commented about not returning.

If the company was making a loss, I could cut them some slack. Even if the theme park division wasn't making money, I could understand. But when all parts of the business are making money, and lots of it I hasten to add, there is no excuse for how Chessington is and how the other parks are.

So apologies for the long post, but for me, the Merlin theme park division is looking a little shakey and if they carry on how they are, a little unsecure.

Chessie needs a California Adventure style redo, if only to make a suitable level of actual infrastructure (toilets, GS, backstage, etc) to suit a well attended park...

Oh also not having the budget of it's biggest ride in years nicked would've helped...

Whilst I admire the direction the park is taking, I feel that Paultons is still a large dark or water ride behind Chessington, but the way the two parks are trending suggests Paultons could overtake. The fact that many of us paid to get into Paultons this year but avoided Chessington despite having free entry tells its own tale.

BPB meanwhile is a far more well-rounded family/thrill park than Towers is these days, and significantly cheaper both in advance and on the gate. Which has the better thrill rides is debatable. I still favour Towers, but if I have to recommend a park I generally go with BPB now.

Last edited:
I think Zufari is perhaps one of the biggest disappointments Merlin has done that doesn't involve cost cutting or shutting rides (though Tomb Blaster refurb comes close).

The attraction could've been something so special and much more than the monotonous trip it currently is and brought new life into a slowly changing park. Sadly it empitomises it and comparing this to the Kilimanjaro Safaris would be a bit like comparing Chessington to Phantasialand.

Chessington does need a major refurbishment given the park core is around 30 years old now and things need to change to incorporate guests of the present times.