• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

I think most people (and by people I mean theme park enthusiasts) would agree that Vampire’s a shadow of what it was. But I still think it’s a decent coaster and certainly entertaining. The fact it can still get a three hour queue shows that a lot of people do find it entertaining, although granted it’s not worth queuing three hours for.

It’s throughput has declined from what it was when it had three Arrow trains running and for a major roller coaster its current throughput (about 600 an hour I believe) isn’t great, but it still just about has the highest throughput in the park; perhaps similar to Tomb Blaster on four trains (Dragon Fall’s throughput is considerably lower than has sometimes been reported on the forums). Its throughput is still a bit higher than the park’s other major roller coaster, Dragon’s Fury.

Of course we’re not specifically talking about throughputs here. I think Vampire is often seen by enthusiasts as one of the weaker Arrow suspended coasters because it’s one of the gentlest, but it’s still pretty wild in the tunnel (perhaps not as wild as when it had the heavier Arrow trains) and for a ride with a 1.1 metre height restriction it is intense (which I suspect is partly why it gets such long queues).

The layout gets criticised for the mid ride lifthill. Whilst I do agree that it disrupts the flow a bit, it certainly doesn’t stop it from being a decent coaster. Quite a few family coasters do have multiple lift hills including most, if not all, Vekoma mine trains. With a family coaster it either needs to be powered, short or have multiple lifts (unless you can do some kind of family friendly mid ride launch or if you were to dig it into the ground). Whilst the second lift is largely due to planning issues, it wouldn’t be a family coaster if it were twice the height and a lot faster. Plus, the way Arrow coasters have lasted it might have torn itself apart by now were it taller and faster.

Even without any theming I think Vampire would be a fun coaster with some nice interaction with the Transylvania midway and a tunnel at the end. Aside from the midcourse lift potentially disrupting the flow it feels like a coaster with decent pacing, where the highlight of the ride (the tunnel) comes at the end. It’s like Nemesis in that respect.

It is a big shame that Vampire’s lost most of its theming, but it might still be the best themed Arrow suspended coaster. Most of them seem to be at Six Flags or Cedar Fair parks and have pretty much no theming to speak of. I didn’t ever get to do Big Bad Wolf or Eagle Fortress, which are generally regarded as the best of Arrow’s suspended coaster. Out of the three I have been on Vampire’s my favourite. Personally I’d like to see them give it a major overhaul, but I don’t think Vampire’s boring or beyond redemption and if and when they do get rid of it I can’t see its replacement being any better.

Big Bad Wolf was what Vampire wanted to be (not in a bad way, just similar theme and could be a bigger ride), plus that finale was amazing...

Vampire only gets 3 hour queues is because the throughput has been butchered... No more 3 train op, awful procedures on platform... Last few times I visited I could barely stand still in the station because of the staffing ability (or lack of)...

There's no denying that the throughput doesn't help and nor do the Fast Tracks or the number of exit riders ( I'm not necessarily that disabled guests shouldn't be able to skip the queue, although in my opinion the system is abused). Nonetheless, I still think that Vampire stands as a decent coaster.

How many coasters in the UK with the same or lower height restriction are better? Clearly it's very subjective, but I'd say Vampire is one of the UK's top coasters for that demographic.

The big issue with chessie is the lack of rides for the amount of guests it gets. No other park gets regular 60 min queues on a pirate ship or waveswigger. But chessie does. And if you look at all the new attractions they have had in recent years most of them are refurbishments of current rides, which doesn't help the issue the park had.

I'm sure Zufari helped a bit as that must have a bit of throughput, but other than that there hasn't been anything new in years.

I dread to think what the queue times will be for that new merry go round they have this season!

Ideally they could do some a high throughput coaster, Rapids and then more filler attractions.

We went to look at the new ride on Saturday. I normally can't stand CWOA due to how run down it looks, but I really enjoyed this visit, yes the place needs a major cash injection to the apparence of rides and maintenance but you can really see what the focused on. Gruffalo was a ok ride, some really good effects and some really confusing ones!?! Like they still have the part where you go through what I can only describe as a water tunnel, that is extremely out of place on this 'new' ride and made no scene. Am I upset they replaced bubbleworks? Not in the slightest. Bubbleworks was outdated and poorly maintained from when the sponsorship from imperial leather (I think it was that) ended, prof. Burp was all but dead. So they needed to update this, it's a shame so much of transalvainia has lost theming. Only complaint from the day was the que times. Not that they was long. But they was bloody wrong! Stating 60 mins for tomb blaster but only took 8 mins, this was the worst! Just trying to sell fast tracks I guess. And someone mentioned zufari well my take on that ride is this.....why?!? I asked this very same question the year They opened it. Biggest waste of time! It's a unfinished 'project' that never got completed due to the overfunding of the smiler! You can tell they had big plans for the cave part of the ride but had the budget cut and just had to have the "that will do approach". It's a shame as it could have been so much more. But the fact that they have even cut the pre ride show they used to do in that little cabin now just makes it a thing to only do if there's nothing else

Does anyone have any pictures of that old Action Man ride? (If you can call it that).
I've scoured the internet to limited results. It seems like very little about the "ride" is even documented.
I was quite young when I last went on it, so I can't really remember it clearly. Any of the fogeys mind refreshing my memory? ;)

There really isn't much to be documented! It was literally a small obstacle course with a few tunnels and ropes.

It was near where Land of the Dragons is now.

I remember this well, it was quite a large obstacle course and took you through many areas. Really weird when it closed and suddenly the area was unrecognizable, to a young me it felt quite Tardis-like. You went through the rocky building at the start which had some weird lightbox effects in it and sounds, then out the back it led to (what felt like) this hidden sprawling pocket of the park.

It began with the toxic swamp, which I seem to remember had fog effects (which never worked in its later years), then a big climbing frame with sound effect buttons you could press.

Then it went up a hillock under some trees, across a rope bridge over a pit filled with snakes (one that squirted water at you). I remember the sounds to this and that it was SO SCARY that one day the hill got closed off, so you went round it instead of up it. Of course, in reality it was probably because the rope bridge broke..

Then you went through a tunnel filled with squashed children, then outside back into the plaza where this odd statue of Action Man stood. The random path to nowhere by Tiny Trucks whatever it's called is still there where the statue used to be. It was great fun, pretty cheap and naff but was a nice lengthy adventure. Was always broken though.

It even used to have a pre show, for an obstacle course!

Was a really fab attraction in it's time, tonnes better than Playhouse and Capers... The snakes now live in Hocus Pocus Hall...

A pre show!? Now that I really don't remember. Any idea what the general gist of it was?

My vague memories of 15-20 years ago seems to recall it being just a generic video stating that "YOU" must help Action Man defeat his various enemies... After a while they just gave up on it though and just let you straight into the opening hallway... I also doubt it was used that often...

@Benzin Didn't it finish with ... "Now boys and girls, it's TIME FOR ACTION" or maybe that was said by an operator? I don't really recall.

I do remember some fake ice at some point as well.

@Benzin Didn't it finish with ... "Now boys and girls, it's TIME FOR ACTION" or maybe that was said by an operator? I don't really recall.

I do remember some fake ice at some point as well.

Bugger knows, whilst I went through it on pretty much every visit of mine during it's existence, I don't think I saw it that much... It sounds like something that would be said in an Action Man themed attraction (which, 20 years ago sounds like the weirdest IP concept)...

There was definitely ice, each section had it's own theme (in the loosest sense of the term), so one section was definitely themed to that (as well as industrial, jungle and whatever else was there)...

Oh to go back in time. Those days were, in my opinion, the best days the park ever saw. 1998 for life.

On another note, what the hell have they done to Tomb Blasters guns? I swear the old models didn't used to knacker your hands after exactly two shots.
I'm gonna have callouses for weeks!

Am I the only one who finds the gruffalo a little bit too kiddy? However I do really like it some sections are very much impressive! Considering the amount of time they had very much impressive theming to the station and entire ride all together. However personally I do prefer bubbleworks for simple reason been it was a lighter feeling and I'm 18 and enjoyed it without feeling as if "I shouldn't be riding this it's too kiddy based". I found vampire quite rough last Monday! It seemed to have to many rough patches and a very few smooth bits. However rattlesnake takes roughness to a new level my gosh that ride should be called pain the ride it's horrible! Overall I love chessington although not massively on thrills it just a nice relaxing park to experience