Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Discussion in 'European Parks and Attractions' started by Anonymous, 12th Jun 2012.

1. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Ah of course; I forgot about that! Thanks for reminding me @shawnoc!

Out of interest, was anything on the Rattlesnake site before it was built, or was it just vacant land? Sorry to keep pestering you all with questions; I must admit the history of Chessington and its evolution into a theme park does really interest me!

2. Thameslink Rail

Thameslink Rail TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    The Rattlesnake site used to be a reptile house? (As far as I can see on the old maps)

Last edited: 14th May 2020
    Matt N likes this.
  3. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Ah right; thanks @Thameslink Rail!

4. SuperMuscleMan

SuperMuscleMan TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Colossus
    Yes because they moved them to the first version of creepy caves. The cowboy gun show when the rattlesnake first opened was on par with Disney! The effects in the area were incredible. The whole set outside the entrance of the rattlesnake had fun shot movements (lamps would move, balcony's would fall!). Chessington was so good then.

5. BritishThemeParkArchive

BritishThemeParkArchive TowersStreet Member

Tomb Blaster was never an omnimover, it has always had the exact same ride system it still uses today, with trains turning and stopping to watch scenes play out.

Both this and Haunted House were prototype Mack ride systems to suit what the parks wanted to build.

Interestingly there was another side to the Mexicana (Calamity Canyon back then) 'street' before Rattlesnake was built there!

Matt N likes this.
  6. pluk

pluk TowersStreet Member

It may well be my memory failing me, but I thought the rattlesnake site was the giraffe enclosure previously? I'm sure I remember looking at giraffes there, it was always on a slope so you were looking at them head height from around the current entrance area.

7. KolonelKlink

KolonelKlink TowersStreet Member

That’s also my recollection

8. Skyscraper

Skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Surely Chessington won't be able to open til Covid testing is ended/reduced, as their entire main car park is currently a testing facility? Will be interesting to see what happens.

9. Thameslink Rail

Thameslink Rail TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    They would probably just use the other entrance

10. Pleasure Beach Valhalla

Pleasure Beach Valhalla TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    It's likely for facemasks to be a mandatory thing as they've used it as a testing site and also it's a compact theme park compared to Alton.

11. Islander

Islander TowersStreet Member

I'd be surprised if they operate any differently to other UK theme parks to be honest - they'll want consistency between the parks.

As for it being a testing site, that's out in the car parks. Given that social distancing rules dictate a 2m separation, I should imagine a few hundred meters, with buildings and other obstacles in the way, would be plenty!

12. djtruefitt

djtruefitt TS Site Team Team Member

If it’s still going on, I guess they’ll just use he fields, which they always seem to want you to use anyway. And I guess hotel car park isn’t part of where the testing is anyway.

Also by the time they open the testing places may wind down a bit more than they are now.

13. OilyWater

OilyWater TowersStreet Member

That recently isnt their main car park anymore so it'll be fine (they signpost the grass ones as their main car parks now, the others are mostly hotels and express stuff)

14. WillPS

WillPS TowersStreet Member

I presume the testing facility could be moved pretty easily too, if Merlin wanted that car park back sooner.

Plenty of gyms which are some way off being able to reopen.

15. Islander

Islander TowersStreet Member

Given that the testing facility is a mass drive-through affair, there aren't going to be many other suitable locations, and gyms certainly wouldn't work.

But, as said, it's a moot point - the park mainly use the south car park anyway, which with reduced capacities will more than suffice.

16. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

There are massive numbers of industrial business car parks that are very empty.
    I would imagine there are a hundred alternative sites within a few miles

Skyscraper and ringo like this.
  17. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

It is a shame though as although Chessington doesn't really have a proper entrance area, the entrance from the hard car parks and hotel area is nicer as you come into the lawn and the house (now Room on the Broom). Whereas the other entrance seems to dump you at Dragon's Fury and lacks any grandness,.

Alsty, OilyWater and Islander like this.
  18. OilyWater

OilyWater TowersStreet Member

I can see why they moved the normal entrance to the other side, but they really should have redesigned that side of the park to go with it.

Now the park feels very skewed and your first impression feels like you've just come in round the back (which you have). People head straight to the first ride they see swamping it with queues instead of filtering through the park. But I can't imagine it would ever get developed properly, when it's cheaper to just do nothing as usual and let the problems get worse

SuperMuscleMan and jon81uk like this.
  19. Matt Creek

Matt Creek TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    It’s simply amazing how Chessington’s entrances greatly contrast each other, yet festure their own problems.

The Lodge entrance is certainly more rewarding and appeasing to the eye, as you see Burnt Stub mansion in the background with ample landscaping as you venture towards the heart of the park.

Meanwhile the Explorer one lacks any form of buildup or excitement as you literally end up slap bang in one of the busiest and crowded areas of the park. I don’t know how this looked pre-2004 but it has to be one of the most underwhelming park entrances I have seen.

Around 4/5 years ago, this became the main entrance to the park yet features infrastructure such as booths and toilet facilities. It’s had a few touch ups since but ideally needs a large overhaul which is unlikely to ever happen.

Last edited: 3rd Jun 2020
    Alsty and jon81uk like this.
  20. HermanTheGerman

HermanTheGerman TowersStreet Member

The 'Lodge' entrance with the tarmac car park and the Hotels is northern and the grass car parks are southern. But yes I agree, the northern, Burnt Stub area entrance is much much nicer than the other one.

(Although realistically neither are great, both are small and weirdly designed and aren't exactly very exciting ways to enter a theme park.)

Islander likes this.