• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Impressive by Chessington standards. It looks alright from POV in my opinion.. slightly bare, but that'll grow up.

Finale looks good.

The finale looks good from a theming point of view...

Not, for what it actually is as a finale... There's no build up, no explanation as to what's happening inside, it's an anti-climax...

As I said, it needs a LOT of work to be up to a really good standard... Especially as the finale seems to be something added on to make things exciting should the animals be sleepy/boring/hidden...

Brad Wynne interview

This great interview with a leading creative member of Merlin Magic Making was recently published. It's great to know more about the creation of rides from the inside. He talks a lot about Zufari but he was also involved in Sub-Terra at Alton Towers.

He describes his job as "making sure the end result is as close the the original vision as possible", so blame him for Sub-Terra and Zufari's mediocrity! (Just joking)

Anyway, he has a great job and I am glad Merlin Magic Making enjoy their work. I'd love to be involved on the inside of these projects; It's so boring being on the outside, posting on internet forums where everybody moans. :twirly:

Bleh, this looks... uninspiring.

Why did they only cover half of that central building with the rockwork? It looks awful! If you're going to do most of it, why not go finish it off?

Also, the station platform. It looks very unimpressive for what is meant to be the grand terminal for these expeditions. The on-ride audio sounds really good, but the landscapes are bare and the finale doesn't really redeem the rest of it.

Chessington should at LEAST be able to build something as good as Disney fifteen years ago. There's no excuse for this not being as good as Kilimanjaro.

Roger Ramrod said:
Chessington should at LEAST be able to build something as good as Disney fifteen years ago. There's no excuse for this not being as good as Kilimanjaro.

Assuming you're not being sarcastic, Roger, I'd Disney were probably more extensive in their theming efforts 15 years ago...

Personally I never expected anything particularly grand or completely immersive, but this just looks a bit scruffy. What exactly is meant to be happening in the finale?

I don't mean because Disney have increased in quality over that time. Disney fifteen years ago was still great. What I mean is that Kilimanjaro Safaris has been around long enough that Chessington should at least have been able to learn from it and make something comparable. If not improved. You'd expect in any other field that a mid-range company should at least be able to come up with something equal to what a top-end company was doing in 1998. I mean, Disney have done all the hard work for them, all they needed to do is go to Florida, make a few notes, and come up with their own version!

Roger Ramrod said:
I don't mean because Disney have increased in quality over that time. Disney fifteen years ago was still great. What I mean is that Kilimanjaro Safaris has been around long enough that Chessington should at least have been able to learn from it and make something comparable. If not improved. You'd expect in any other field that a mid-range company should at least be able to come up with something equal to what a top-end company was doing in 1998. I mean, Disney have done all the hard work for them, all they needed to do is go to Florida, make a few notes, and come up with their own version!

Zufari could certainly learn a thing or two from Kilimanjaro Safaris but to expect something comparable is a little far fetched. Kilimanjaro Safaris was built on an astronomical budget even by Disney's standards and cover's an area considerably bigger than the entire property at Chessington. I don't know of the exact figures, but I'd suggest Zufari has been built for maybe a tenth of the cost of Kilimanjaro Safaris. With that in mind, I think we have a reasonable attraction with some potential for improvement.

These kinds of attractions are fairly expensive to maintain too. I just hope we see some continued investment to develop the landscape, flora and fauna!

Zufari was built on a budget of £8m after Merlin cut the budget down from £12m. There were going to be 5 Rhino, instead of 3. 7 Giraffe instead of 4 and as well as the current finale, there were going to be balls of fire and a vibrating ram underneath the truck that dropped. Considering the levels of ground work involved in this project (baring in mind that where the station is built, the cave and most of the hills are man made, I think they've done a great job.

Now, trying not to be a fan boy here and see it from the other side of the fence, yes, it looks bare, yes, the queue line is quite frankly horrid and it's very uninspired, but there have been so many complications during the construction of this ride that I'm glad to see the foundations of what will become a better experience are in. For example, there are already plans in place to add more animals, planting will grow, and the animals will become more comfortable with the Trucks.

I think I'm one of only 2 or 3 who have actually been on it on this forum, and sure, I'm not the best person to give a review, considering I run a Chessie site, but there are so many aspects of this attraction that are going to be worked on closed season, it's just a case of being patient, and realizing that this was never going to be comparable to a ride 4 times the size, with about 10 times the budget.

Jared said:
Zufari was built on a budget of £8m after Merlin cut the budget down from £12m.

And yet people don't understand why I keep moaning about them?
::)

Shame the budget was slashed like that because what Jared described sounds pretty damn amazing! I hope that the budget being cut doesn't have such a huge impact on how well-received Zufari is by the general public. It doesn't matter if Merlin realise that removing money from Zufari's budget was a mistake because the damage will have already been done to the ride's reputation.

Removing such a drastic amount seems absolutely ridiculous amount of money from the budget just seems plain daft to me. Sure, you've saved some money now, but what are you going to do when people think your attraction is naff and people don't want to bother visiting until something worthy materialises which is worth paying to experience? How haven't they realised that you have to spend money to make more back?

Universal Orlando's current spending spree is a prime example that the more money that gets put into the park and attractions, the more you get out of the paying customer. When the economy is on its arse, people want more, not less. It doesn't matter that it has potential, if in the opening year it doesn't capture the imaginations of guests then it won't have as much of an impact later on in its life.

I still think that this attraction looks okay and I look forward to riding it, but I worry that if Merlin's parks have to keep going back to correct new attractions which are failing then at some point they're going to pay, which is a shame. But then they haven't got anyone else to blame if something bad does happen to them other than themselves.

I don't want them to fail and I don't enjoy having to read negative reactions and reports stating that their new attractions haven't inspired the public, because a lot of hard work goes into these new experiences and it's an absolute shame when all of that work doesn't pay off for all the great people who are involved in their creation and operation.

Edit: P.S. I wasn't ever expecting a Disney standard attraction with Zufari.

See, I think they do need some massive flops to make them realise they need to pull their fingers out. If a sub standard attraction is deemed acceptable by the public, there is no inscentive to do better.

Isn't that the apparent reason why they added the Sub Terra corridor of DOOOOOM!?!

My main worry about Chessie isn't Zufari's appaulling looking finale anymore if the rumours about a continuation of theming removal are correct... Guess we'll find out Wednesday...

DiogoJ42 said:
See, I think they do need some massive flops to make them realise they need to pull their fingers out. If a sub standard attraction is deemed acceptable by the public, there is no inscentive to do better.
But that could seriously affect them. Chessington needs a break, not a huge flop. I don't want that to happen because it's a lovely little park and I'd like to see them return to their 90's success! :(

Chessie does indeed need a break, and this should have been it. But it seems that cutting a third of it's budget has stopped Zufari from being that break.

DiogoJ42 said:
Chessie does indeed need a break, and this should have been it. But it seems that cutting a third of it's budget has stopped Zufari from being that break.

This!

I think Merlin don't seem to care about Chessington as much as their other two major theme parks, Thorpe and Towers, which is a shame as Chessington is a great park!

DiogoJ42 said:
Depends. Families, particularly younger children, could find this amazing. Marketed well, and as long as you see animals, they'll enjoy it.

Hence why bubbleworks is so well rated, even though we all know it's a pile of turd. Families just don't look at it in our eyes. And I imagine this'll be one of the best safaris in the UK, even if it is short, which'd make it a winner due to the lack of people having been on foreign safaris.

It is a shame that Merlin do take the 'middle of the road' stance on new attractions. Most of the new attractions have a quality feel to them but lack a certain push to be exceptional. It is like they don't see their attractions within a wider context and focus on being just a bit better than other UK parks. The competition in the UK isn't especially a threat so the result is just a tad watered down.

There is nothing wrong with Zufari - but there is nothing standing out and giving it the wow factor. I guess it was not finished in the video, but things like the Giraffe house are finished and I think it probably speaks for most of the attraction.. :/

Do not know if this hasn't been mentioned but Chessington are doing a £5 million refurbishment programme. The current rides listed for refurbishment include Dragon Falls, Peeking Heights and Runaway Train

The resort is pleased to announce a
£5 million upgrade plan is taking place at Chessington during 2013 & 2014.

The scale of this investment, and also the fact that the resort is open throughout the year for Zoo Days, means that all the works cannot be completed in the winter months and a certain amount of disruption cannot be avoided during the main park season.

Therefore you may find certain rides, attractions, and facilities may not be available at certain points during the season whilst work is carried out.

We will do our best to minimize any inconvenience and ensure that you will still have an amazing adventure here and we will post details of unavailable rides and facilities on this page and elsewhere online as soon as they are confirmed.

Our brand new attraction for 2013; ‘ZUFARI – Ride into Africa’ launches to the public on the 27th March and there will be more information about additional entertainment and amazing additional events throughout the year coming soon.

Again, we apologise for the disruption and appreciate your patience whilst we make your adventure even better for the future.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort. http://www.chessington.com/updates/

Peeking Heights will be closed until 02/04/13
Dragon Falls will be closed until 10/04/13
Runaway Train will be closed for an unknown period of time.

Personally I think this is a good move as these rides really do need some TLC. The Runaway train's cave has deteriorated to a point where it does not even look like a cave! It is a shame Dragon Falls will be closed as that is one of my favourite rides at Chessington!

Thanks for posting, Hayden =)

I think this is fantastic news, both RT and Dragon Falls need a refurb as they're both now over 25 years old. Hopefully both of them will look good as new =) Although if it's a hot busy day in Easter, i can imagine Bubbleworks being busy!

Why could this not be done over the closed season? So as well as a joke of a new attraction, the park will open with three major rides closed?

Shocking.