• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

But samurai and others say hi, do other similar models required to park?
Don't know about Samurai but it depends on the design. A slip ring is a way of connecting power and control wires to a rotating part and maintain the connection at all angles.

For example, you can see it on this pic of Funk'n'Fly. The yellow part in the centre:

PXL_20210510_104825827_0.jpg
Source: Escapism Project

It is basically metal rings around the circular part and brushes that connect to the rings, like this:

slip-rings-do-contain-wear-elements-beyond-the-sliding-element-brushes-and-conductor-rings-.png

Source: Motion Control Tips

It's conjecture on my part but I'm guessing Croc Drop doesn't use this approach because if it did, it could park in any position.

Monkey Swinger doesn’t stop in the same spot it starts either, wonder if they’ll stop that from rotating soon too (joke of course).

Today was busier than yesterday, expected what with it being half term. Finished the day with a ride on Vampire in the rain. I do really enjoy this coaster for what it is.

On both days someone was sick on a ride, yesterday it was on zufari before getting on and today someone was sick all over their seat on vampire as we were waiting in the station so it had to close briefly to be cleaned up. Just thought it was a weird coincidence. Glad I didn’t have to sit in the sicky seat anyway.

Also at 5pm all the rides showed as closed on the app for about 10minutes and vampire said closed at the entrance even though it was clearly open. I think someone forgot momentarily that the park closed at 6pm today.

On both days someone was sick on a ride, yesterday it was on zufari before getting on and today someone was sick all over their seat on vampire as we were waiting in the station so it had to close briefly to be cleaned up. Just thought it was a weird coincidence. Glad I didn’t have to sit in the sicky seat anyway.
Interesting as those aren't that intense. Either someone with a very weak stomach, anxiety, or something more sinister.

Interesting as those aren't that intense. Either someone with a very weak stomach, anxiety, or something more sinister.
Yeah I’m not sure what the deal was. Vampire really isn’t a nauseous ride at all to me at least and being sick before even getting on Zufari was a strange one.

I know there are a lot of sickness bugs going round at the moment. Maybe it was that, hope it wasn’t due to dodgy food at the park or something.

Another thing I forgot to mention was Scorpion Express was closed the whole time we were there. Shame really as for my smaller child, it’s one of the two coasters there they are able to go on. Hopefully next time.

Last edited:
Don't know about Samurai but it depends on the design. A slip ring is a way of connecting power and control wires to a rotating part and maintain the connection at all angles.

For example, you can see it on this pic of Funk'n'Fly. The yellow part in the centre:

PXL_20210510_104825827_0.jpg
Source: Escapism Project

It is basically metal rings around the circular part and brushes that connect to the rings, like this:

slip-rings-do-contain-wear-elements-beyond-the-sliding-element-brushes-and-conductor-rings-.png

Source: Motion Control Tips

It's conjecture on my part but I'm guessing Croc Drop doesn't use this approach because if it did, it could park in any position.

I believe it 'can' park anywhere. It must be powered that way to spin the way it does, but Chessington have decided they want it to park consistently to alow for bag collection, which is fair enough, but they obviously made with insufficient margin of error and apparently with only one spin direction.

I believe it 'can' park anywhere. It must be powered that way to spin the way it does, but Chessington have decided they want it to park consistently to alow for bag collection, which is fair enough, but they obviously made with insufficient margin of error and apparently with only one spin direction.
It’s just bad that a brand new ride is not doing what it was designed to do. And why haven’t they fixed it over closed season to spin and stop correctly?

At least when it spins it does something to take away from how dull and awful the actual drops are on that thing. You’ll get a better drop going on the frog hopper.

From an engineering point of view, even if they didn't want to add a slip ring for space reasons, it shouldn't be hard to program it to turn slowly when parking or have it so it knows when it is lined up with the release mechanism, regardless if it's in the right spot as such.

Hi guys, im not sure if this is the right place to post this, but today me and my Family are visiting Chessington today, were staying at their Hotel, and visiting the park Tomorrow. Is there any advice you could give me, like what rides need done first, etc?

Hi guys, im not sure if this is the right place to post this, but today me and my Family are visiting Chessington today, were staying at their Hotel, and visiting the park Tomorrow. Is there any advice you could give me, like what rides need done first, etc?

With large amount of throughput nightmares it's not as clear cut as some other parks, but I'd be trying to hit Dragon Fury first thing before a queue builds as it's one of the longest and most painful queues to wait in.

And if it's going to be a hot day Zufari can be better to do early before all both the animals hide away from the sun.

Last edited: