• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Merlin have been investing in Chessington continuously since the Grufallo.

Room On The Broom replaced Hocus Pocus, Rainforest opened the following year along with a refurbishment of Tomb Blaster, Croc Drop last year and Shipwreck Coast this year.

The park has a senior management team that is very passionate about Chessington's future, and it shows with all the investment they've secured from Merlin.

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk

Room on the Broom and Rainforest are low-quality and low-budget projects. And in the grand scheme of things, Shipwreck Cove is hardly significant either. Gruffalo and Croc Drop are arguably the only significant instalments over recent years, and even then, the budget has stuck around in the low millions.

They're not major investments, but they're still new additions. Barrel Bail Out, Croc Drop and Jungle Rangers are new rides. It doesn't matter how much these attractions cost, they added new experiences to the park, added capacity (despite each individual ride not having the highest throughputs) and helped breath new life into the park. There's now a lot more for families to do at Chessington than there is at Alton Towers, if you ignore Cbeebies Land (which has always been akin to a no go zone for adults due to the awkward nature of it).

Last edited:
My moneys on the world's first single rider roller coaster. Just 1 train with 1 seat. The ride will though have a main queue, RAP, fast track and single rider.
Sounds like a description of the coaster that's just opened as part of an art installation.

They're not major investments, but they're still new additions. Barrel Bail Out, Croc Drop and Jungle Rangers are new rides. It doesn't matter how much these attractions cost, they added new experiences to the park, added capacity (despite each individual ride not having the highest throughputs) and helped breath new life into the park. There's now a lot more for families to do at Chessington than there is at Alton Towers, if you ignore Cbeebies Land (which has always been akin to a no go zone for adults due to the awkward nature of it).

About only 3 of those attractions increased the park capacity though (the Shipwreck Cove duo and Mini Flume from Weymouth), Croc Drop replaced Rameses and Jungle Rangers looks like it replaced Toadies.

Problem is these additions are really low throughput and not the best quality. Though yes they are at least adding filler attractions, just feels that they get a courtesy budget and whatever is going free (2 of these new additions have been moved from other Merlin properties).

The choices have been strange really more than anything. Especially the new coaster (definitely when you compare to Legoland Germany also getting one but a full circuit one).

He's hardly going to say "I hate Chessington, I CBA with this place" to you.

I reckon Vampire's time is up. It's surely one of the last running Arrow swinging coasters and surprised it's not had another major refurbishment or closure. Unlike Nemesis, I'm not sure Vampire warrants retracking and a better coaster could hopefully replace it. I know there's the planning restriction about its location.
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if it reaches the end of it's life soon. Hopefully it'll last until after the Jumanji coaster opens though, as I've not been to Chessy yet.

I reckon Vampire's time is up. It's surely one of the last running Arrow swinging coasters and surprised it's not had another major refurbishment or closure. Unlike Nemesis, I'm not sure Vampire warrants retracking and a better coaster could hopefully replace it. I know there's the planning restriction about its location.
I have suspected that a retrack of Vampire might happen, given how difficult it is to build things there it might be more simple by giving it a retrack than replace it with something new. It is an iconic ride for the park much what Nemesis is for Towers so I wouldn't be digging Vampire's grave just yet.

Though unlike with Nemesis in which Merlin brings B&M in to do the work, they might decide to bring in Taziker to do the retrack in which is not far fetched the more you think about in which given the amount of work they've done with PMBO and from their recent growth from where they are going as seen from the IAAPA event, their growth would not had gone unnoticed by Merlin in which I wouldn't be suprised if the prospect of bringing them in for a Vampire retrack has at the very least being considered. Being UK based and not having to worry about high export costs as say bringing in stuff from the continent does make things look tempting admittedly.

It would be sad though if Vampire is to leave within the next few years.

While the ride is not considered in the same league as Nemesis, there would be very good reason to properly referbish and retain it; there's no way on earth they'd ever get permission to build anything remotely on the same scale on the site. It'd be lost to basically dead ground.

Like I said before, the right people are at the helm. Chessington is the park to watch at the moment.

In regards to the Jumanji station, there are quite a few scrap metal buildings like that in the Dwayne Johnson film so it's not too much of a surprise. Personally I'm expecting it to be some kind of aircraft hangar or shed, the metal looks a bit more visually appealing than the wooden shed in 'Welcome To The Jungle'. Here's hoping there are lots of smaller details to ensure that it doesn't look like a typical abandoned warehouse theme that you'd find at a UK park.

Last edited: