• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

In regards to companies that Chessie could (read SHOULD, same goes for Merlin in general) employ, surely Joravision and Neverland HAVE to be the top 2?

That's of course if the past is not the precedent in regards to replacing taken down theming...

Benzin said:
In regards to companies that Chessie could (read SHOULD, same goes for Merlin in general) employ, surely Joravision and Neverland HAVE to be the top 2?

That's of course if the past is not the precedent in regards to replacing taken down theming...

Can you post examples of how their work would benefit the theme? For total ignorant people like me who have no clue lol?

http://www.joravision.com/

546970_474949205903884_989477332_n.jpg

Involved at Efteling and the main people behind the Walibi themes going throughout their parks... Hard to find many other examples mind...

http://www.neverlanddecors.com/

397477_548508501840594_614265576_n.jpg

Should be evidence enough to actually demonstrate their ability... Done work at the Plopsa parks as well which are also very good...

For those of you who might be interested, Chessington Buzz has set up an interview with Nick Varney, CEO of Merlin Entertainments. All you need to do is post your questions on the topic over on the forums. :)

On the subject of theming, Joravision does a lot of stuff for TV, although, I think they did all of the indoor Plopsa centers.

Benzin said:
Should be evidence enough to actually demonstrate their ability... Done work at the Plopsa parks as well which are also very good...

Well....

Efteling2-663x432.jpg

Interesting quote also:
Scientific university studies show that themed attractions attract a significantly larger amount of visitors to a park, compared to non-themed attractions.

They do seem to have the quirky Chessington feel that certain areas definitely have.

EDIT:
Jared said:
For those of you who might be interested, Chessington Buzz has set up an interview with Nick Varney, CEO of Merlin Entertainments. All you need to do is post your questions on the topic over on the forums. :)

I have to say Jared, that is quite the coup. I share the same concerns as many on here, but given their generally better levels of understanding, I may let them word the questions lol!!

I criticise the fella quite a bit, but to be fair, that's decent of him - and credit where it is due to both Chessie Buzz and Nick Varney there.

ElectricBill - For the record, I wasn't speaking in 'thanks' language, I'm just a busy person who wanted to dedicate enough time to produce a quality, thought-through answer, but since I'm being rushed, you shall get this one instead.

The main problem I find with your thinking ElectricBill is that your definition of high-art is very limited and well... Wrong (or as wrong as subjective personal understanding of what art can and can't be). Yes, High-art can be deeply symbolic, conceptual, expressive, existential and thought-provoking works, and often that stuff is my favourite as it's challenging, but it in no-way has to be any of those things. My personal definition of art is when the physical application of materials trancends itself to become something bigger than it's physical self, whether that be blobs of paint becoming human figures, when arranged sounds become a moving piece of music, or even when a piece of animal fur stapled to a tea-cup becomes a piece which deals with the complex nature of a useless unusable item in a world dictated by use. That definition of art also includes when a mechanical animatronic beomes an ancient eypgtian mummy, when plaster work on a building becomes cracked european architecture, and when a ride becomes a train running free from it's tracks. And so you see, Art IS magic. It doesn't have to be serious and posing and in fact a great deal of art history isn't that at all. I watched an interview with one of the world's most respected contemporary artists, Anthony Gormley, who when asked about the meaning about a piece of his work which was a reflective floating platform in the roof of a building, where he invited the public to enjoy the space, simply replied that it didn't have to mean anything at all. He wanted people to just enjoy and lose themself in the experience. That's not to say the stuff with deep-seated meaning is wrong, but it co-exists with art that is purely there to invoke emotional response from the audience. You can argue that Chessington is good art or bad art, you can fail to see what you personally want out of art in Chessington, but it is undoubtedly art. That's not being precious, that's just recognising that art doesn't conform to your narrow parimeters.

Thank you for your post; I figured you were busy but my comment about 'thanks language' was aimed at The Man's explanation that your thanks meant you were agreeing on his "subjective" opinion.

Basically I agree with everything you have said and what a good post in itself. I believe in that ethos too, and am also fascinated with it. The important part for me though is that art can be 'pointless'; or rather most art is pointless, done for the sake of it or just to give a certain effect on others, and be nonetheless brilliant. It was the comments about Chessington that seemed to dress it up as something different to the charming, innocent place it was that I was simply uncomfortable with.

It seems most British parks miss the point these days that theme design is done totally for people's enjoyment, to engage their subconscious in new ways. But that's something you can't measure, or prove with market research, so businesses rarely take it into full consideration.

Let's hope this is turning point and Dragon River in particular gets restored to the level it was at before, or even beyond.

But... but... but Jared said I could ask as many as I wanted! :p

But yeah, it's good to see proof that someone listens to us and I can't wait for some of those questions to be answered as there's a lot I don't know about Chessington and I'd like to see if the owners still see as much potential there as some of us do. :)

62766_460000017403781_2020028916_n.jpg

[Source: TowersStreet Facebook]

To anybody who has visited Chessington since the opening last Wednesday, has anybody come across this deal and would they know if there is a limit as to how many hot beverages are given out per person? :)

God knows, it'd be tempting to try though - considering chessington is usually the stingiest of the lot (no annual pass discount on usual merlin "offers" for instance).

Rowe said:
62766_460000017403781_2020028916_n.jpg

[Source: TowersStreet Facebook]

To anybody who has visited Chessington since the opening last Wednesday, has anybody come across this deal and would they know if there is a limit as to how many hot beverages are given out per person? :)

I took the advantage and I got a free hot chocolate. The only thing I known of is that they give out the regular and not the large =P As for as limits go, I'm not to sure, Rowe. Although I imagine it would be one per customer.

^ I need to take advantage of this offer. Maybe tomorrow if I do decide to visit Chessie, otherwise I'll get one this Saturday ;)

Lottie. said:
^ I need to take advantage of this offer. Maybe tomorrow if I do decide to visit Chessie, otherwise I'll get one this Saturday ;)

I'll be taking advantage on Saturday using my Smiler thermos! Jared will not be too pleased ;)

Rowe said:
Lottie. said:

I'll be taking advantage on Saturday using my Smiler thermos! Jared will not be too pleased ;)

Dammit, if only I had one then we could torment him with them :p

Absolutely the oposite. It's perfect for Chessie, and the second best looking Top Spin around, beaten only by Talocan. :D

Rameses is great at Chessie. It's very nicely themed and it fits the area well. Not to mention it's something that the older ones can enjoy! I'd be gutted if it left Chessie, it's awesome!

I love Ramsees, I think it is one of the best rides at Chessington and I think they would be fools to remove it!

I am off to chessington on Thursday, but not sure If i would want to get soaked on it though due to the sub zero british weather... LOVELY!

Is Zufari 100% set to open tommorow?