• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Absolutely don’t get me wrong, it’s shocking that Aramark have left things in that state. However, some of the photos look like years of neglect there. I wonder how many of these issues were present when they took over operations. Food on the floor and under counters is one thing, but the staining, mould and damaged surfaces and fixtures doesn’t happen overnight.

Either way, it’s revolting and inexcusable. Bet @AstroDan is glad we didn’t dine there for his birthday meal now ;)

Absolutely don’t get me wrong, it’s shocking that Aramark have left things in that state. However, some of the photos look like years of neglect there. I wonder how many of these issues were present when they took over operations. Food on the floor and under counters is one thing, but the staining, mould and damaged surfaces and fixtures doesn’t happen overnight.

Either way, it’s revolting and inexcusable. Bet @AstroDan is glad we didn’t dine there for his birthday meal now ;)
It's interesting though, because although your point is definitely valid, it's not as if the F&B outlets under Merlin were ever scoring this low. I don't think there were ever really any ratings when managed by Merlin under four stars.

Just seen this in the news:
In short a child with no legs has been told he can't go on any rides other than the carousel.
What I'm wondering is how come he was allowed on certain rides before (Unknown when) but can't now?
The disappointment could have been avoided if they had checked the ride restrictions on the website beforehand. Simple as that.

The disappointment could have been avoided if they had checked the ride restrictions on the website beforehand. Simple as that.
Yea don't get me wrong I have sympathy for the poor lad but the only thing that infuriates me about the article was how the kids birth parents only getting 10 years in jail likely less on good behaviour, should be lifetime imo.

But that's a discussion for another place however I'm sure there's amputee accessibility information on the website, if it's changed since their last visit that's unfortunate but not really Merlin's fault if they're just trying their best to be a safe place to visit.

Depending on the amputation you'd pretty much instantly rule out the coasters or anything with a lap bar. Which unfortunately covers a majority of rides generally.

The COSWP would state the rules for each ride. Though am surprised Gruffalo wouldn't allow a ride mind (though supposed the risk comes with the water and drop elements), otherwise it would be Carousel & Sea Dragons alone all day.

That being said, the rules can change; especially if there's been an incident somewhere. Unfortunately the world is not designed for disabled people and there is only so much some of these places can do. No one wants another Superman incident.

Though am surprised Gruffalo wouldn't allow a ride mind (though supposed the risk comes with the water and drop elements), otherwise it would be Carousel & Sea Dragons alone all day.
Evacuation procedures too. Water rides tend to have quite complex ones.

Gruffalo not so compared to say, Tigger Falls as there's a walkway throughout the entire attraction.

It's been a long time since I've learnt the ins and outs of that attraction mind.
Good point, could also be due to the fact that it and Tiger Rock both have continuous loading and unloading. Guests have to be able to board and exit the moving boats.

Evacuation procedures too. Water rides tend to have quite complex ones.
Exactly this - during my years operating rides, I found many of the restrictions in place were linked to evac procedures. But as others mentioned, incidents, general rule changes etc could come into play. (I know there have been fatalities linked to amputees wrongly being boarded on rides that cannot keep them safe but not sure on how recent)

It's a real shame for the young lad to be excluded from the fun as he sounds like he's had a challenging life so far - but, safety first. Theme Parks do seem to be seeking ways to make things more accessible so, there is hope yet!

Good point, could also be due to the fact that it and Tiger Rock both have continuous loading and unloading. Guests have to be able to board and exit the moving boats.

Bubbles/Gruff used to have a temporary pause button on both sides. Spent enough time covering it on offload since they put it in a position most guests used to haul themselves out of the boat.

Have to be able to stop the moving conveyor in case someone falls onto it. So we also used it for anyone with limited mobility, though if you weren't careful it'd confuse the system should it stop for too long.

See also on Fury. Though that's automated to stop at a certain point anyway.