• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Like when you do clay modelling in primary school? I can see it!

IMG_1132.png

GIF by Tokkingheads

Maintenance schedules play havoc with xms opening not many of legos rides are hugely mechanical thus servicing of crucial moving safety parts is less, its not a decent excuse but most lego rides can have cars / units out of action for servicing and keep the attraction serviceable , if inspections and maintenance can fit either side of xmas opening then it helps

Maintenance schedules play havoc with xms opening not many of legos rides are hugely mechanical thus servicing of crucial moving safety parts is less, its not a decent excuse but most lego rides can have cars / units out of action for servicing and keep the attraction serviceable , if inspections and maintenance can fit either side of xmas opening then it helps
Nah, this isn't true at all. Lego's rides are no different to Chessington's in terms of maintenance, they'll still all need an annual stripdown etc.

It's worth noting that Lego have started completing some servicing during the 'normal' season, around May/September time - things like Haunted House, Dragon's Apprentice and Mia's Riding Adventure have been taken out of service for a couple of weeks during these periods to be stripped down and serviced. It's what the big players do - Disney etc. - it's the only way to effectively have year round opening, and Lego have clearly realised this.

Nah, this isn't true at all. Lego's rides are no different to Chessington's in terms of maintenance, they'll still all need an annual stripdown etc.

It's worth noting that Lego have started completing some servicing during the 'normal' season, around May/September time - things like Haunted House, Dragon's Apprentice and Mia's Riding Adventure have been taken out of service for a couple of weeks during these periods to be stripped down and serviced. It's what the big players do - Disney etc. - it's the only way to effectively have year round opening, and Lego have clearly realised this.

Paulton's do the vast majority of their annual maintenance in November when the park is closed to the public with a few other rides during the course of the year.

They already have their entire maintenance schedule listed for 2024 through to Spring 2025 and clearly labeled on the website:

We typically visit 3 or 4 times a year and i've never experienced an unplanned ride closure. Velociraptor broke down once (with us on it) and was back running again in about 10 minutes.

It's night and day with the Merlin parks (especially Chessington and AT) and i can't praise them enough for it. Not sure what the explanation is for the difference beyond slightly newer rides. They all share similar opening seasons.

Went to Chessington today, finally got to sit in the front of Mandrill which was cool, though still think the backwards facing seats are the best due to the spike.

Noticed that Croc Drop is covered in scaffolding (looked quite impressive but couldn't get a photo unfortunately), hopefully means they are fixing it so it will rotate for more than 2 weeks in 2024.

Everything was practically walk on too, never experienced that! Though weirdly they left all the lines open for Gruffalo so that was a slight mess of queue merging confusion.

Sorry for the double post but last minute decided to go back to Chessington for the afternoon as really wanted to get a ride on Mandrill in the dark.

It was even quieter than Thursday, practically a private theme park! Actually bought some overpriced food just because i feel bad about the economics of days like this and don't want them to stop.

Have now been front, row 6 and back of Mandrill (and other random rows in the past) and the back row is definitely the optimum experience imo due to that initial spike plus the "forwards" launch on the return with the low ground tilt. Had 4 rides total too which is the same amount i'd previously had in 4 visits this year.

The perfect Xmas theme park day, will be hard to go back to normal service in the Spring!

With your mentioned figures in Discord, the entire area was getting 800pph. Not per ride, all 3 rides added together. Pathetic.
It was quite shocking. However, I think that today was worse than usual. This isn't apologia, though.
If anyone's interested:
Mamba Strike: 141 pph (average of 3)
Ostrich Stampede: 117 pph (average of 4)
Mandrill Mayhem: 542 pph (average of 2)

The Mandrill Mayhem figure seems par for the course, and would roughly tee up with the 575pph reading I logged in September. Given the inherent bottlenecks of Mandrill Mayhem, such as only having 1 train and not allowing people on the platform while the ride is in motion, I wasn’t unimpressed with this at all. I actually thought that while the inherent issue of not allowing guests to wait behind the airgates was a significant detractor from throughput, the ride seemed reasonably well operated with all things considered.

I am quite surprised by how low the flat ride throughputs are, though. Those throughputs must equate to only a very small amount of hourly cycles.

The Mandrill Mayhem figure seems par for the course, and would roughly tee up with the 575pph reading I logged in September. Given the inherent bottlenecks of Mandrill Mayhem, such as only having 1 train and not allowing people on the platform while the ride is in motion, I wasn’t unimpressed with this at all. I actually thought that while the inherent issue of not allowing guests to wait behind the airgates was a significant detractor from throughput, the ride seemed reasonably well operated with all things considered.

I am quite surprised by how low the flat ride throughputs are, though. Those throughputs must equate to only a very small amount of hourly cycles.
Mandrill Mayhem's throughput was definitely par for the course. I have seen much better and also quite a bit worse.
The flat ride throughputs were definitely below average, but even on a good day, their throughputs are poor to say the least.

It was quite shocking. However, I think that today was worse than usual. This isn't apologia, though.
If anyone's interested:
Mamba Strike: 141 pph (average of 3)
Ostrich Stampede: 117 pph (average of 4)
Mandrill Mayhem: 542 pph (average of 2)

Not sure if you included it in your figures but on my two Christmas visits multiple rows of seats on Ostrich Stampede were closed too. At least 2 "arms", possibly 3.

On the flip side all 3 rides were walk-on which presumably slows down throughput. Operators having to manually raise and lower empty restraints each cycle and seat swaps being accommodated for example.