• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

It is highly addictive!

Interestingly that's a different version to the one they used on the ride, I can hear a few differences in the mix. Also according to that Terror Tomb POV, the entire guitar/drum solo was cut from the ride itself.

She has uploaded other Graham Smart pieces as well on that channel. It's great to hear the master tracks before being edited for the rides, even in that murky quality. Ooh the Toyland Tours suite is madder than I ever realised.

Sorry to change the subject, but who thinks that Safari Skyway will be either refurbished or replaced soon as is looks rather dire at the moment, it squeaks and rattles as it moves, the trains are very shabby and 80s. The on board audio cuts out as the train enters Pirates' Cove as well. Personally, I'd like it to be rerouted around Wanyama.

Knowing Chessington, it'll just be closed, left SBNO for years then eventually removed quietly and never replaced.

Well last time I had a go on Safari Skyway, the staff let every train on the circuit stack (it's not like 12 seats per train is a lot, is it?), so I'd like to see that sorted before they consider doing anything else with it. :p

But I do agree that the Safari Skyway needs looking at. I've suggested before that new trains, clean track and maybe even giving the trains new on-board audio and screens with more information (possibly featuring questions throughout the ride to make it a bit more interactive) and graphics may turn it into one of the best attractions at the park.

I went on the Safari Skyride earlier this year for the first time (unless I went on as a child, but I can't remember that). Its a good little ride and does offer nice views around the park and the zoo, however it does also show how crap some of the behind the scenes areas are and some parts of the zoo! They could do with making them look nicer.

But I do agree it could do with some new trains or refurbished trains and maybe make the station a bit nicer.

New trains on skyway, yes please!

I go on the safari skyway whenever the queue is halfway up te stairs or shorter. I seen to have a love of listening to the guy, and when it comes to rides, correcting him!

I guess it's a personal choice ... I love it because I remember going on it age 5, and it brings back memories ...

Benzin said:
It's too fit with the new brand style, and tbh, the recent paintings to Translyvania are anything but drab...

I haven't seen these but if you look at all of Wild Asia, Flying Jumbos in their new location, Zufari and even some of the re-developed areas around the park, it's just dull. Where's the fun? Where's the bright colours, the cheekiness and the humour that Chessington were once known for? The new themes are just far too self serious if you ask me.

This reviewer sums up exactly what I was thinking in his review of Wild Asia (about half way down the page). Too dull, too grey, takes itslef way too seriously. I think this guy hits the nail on the head http://www.rollercoasterphilosophy.com/2010/chessington/

Enter Valhalla said:
Benzin said:
It's too fit with the new brand style, and tbh, the recent paintings to Translyvania are anything but drab...

I haven't seen these but if you look at all of Wild Asia, Flying Jumbos in their new location, Zufari and even some of the re-developed areas around the park, it's just dull. Where's the fun? Where's the bright colours, the cheekiness and the humour that Chessington were once known for? The new themes are just far too self serious if you ask me.

This reviewer sums up exactly what I was thinking in his review of Wild Asia (about half way down the page). Too dull, too grey, takes itslef way too seriously. I think this guy hits the nail on the head http://www.rollercoasterphilosophy.com/2010/chessington/

The key phrase you even use is "once known for"...

The park needed a change of direction and as such went for the more 'realistic' representation of the world more akin to the likes of Mexicana, Mystic East and Forbidden Kingdom (Translyvania and Pirates Cove too at a push)... Unfortunately whilst the choice of Wild Asia made sense within this new idea behind the brand it doesn't particularly lend well to a decent size of colour palette that the other areas can and do...

The bunting doesn't do enough to make a real difference but they themselves limited the theme due to the use of India as the main inspiration... Whereas the other areas have a fair few extra colours to help 'pop' as it were, FK's canvas bits and the trim on Rameses, Mexicana being a Western Town, Translyvania's hill with the purple on one side and Bubble's on the other... As RCP's review stated, it's this difference which is the key issue, that the older areas were designed years ago when Chessie was at it's peak and aiming for flights of fancy tone in a realistic setting...

The serious adventure theme does carry on into Zufari (it does fit into that ideal, for all it's mistakes and issues), but the problem with the park is that it has so little money to actually put across a very good idea behind it... And like Thorpe, we are left with a park which is torn between two aspects that the park wants to improve to high levels, but cannot seem to find the ability to do so...

I do get what you're saying and agree with you up to a point, but I think it's possible to create the feeling of reality and adventure whilst not being too serious and bringing in brighter (but tasteful) colours and elelments of humour. I know I keep going on about colour but Wild Asia looks dire if you askk me. Just dull, drab and grey with only a few bits of bunting to add anything to it. Compare this to Asia at Disney's Animal Kingdom, which is actually my favourite themed area in the world, and the lack of 'anything' in Wild Asia really becomes apparent.

This, I think, is the problem. If Chessington have looked at the elaborate and, quite frankly, spectacular theming of Animal Kingdom's Asia and hoped to re-create it at Chesington, this was a very unwise move as they really don't have a Disney budget, so what we are left with is a dull and uninspiring area.

I get the idea that Chessington's new approach is creating reality and less 'wackiness' than in the paast, but even the realistically themed areas which you list, such as Mystic East and Forbidden Kingdom, still have varied and more vibrant colour schemes as well as elements of subtle humour making them nice places to stay and spend time. After 5 minutes in Wild Asia, I'm ready to leave and Zufari does very little to get me excited or justify a re-ride. I really just don't think Chessington are getting it right in how they're theming new areas. Good intentions may be there but, certainly in the case of Wild Asia, they just aren't properly followed through meaning that the finished product is, for me anyway, something of a disappointment.

What doesn't help Wild Asia is the massive expanse in the middle of literally, nothing... That of course is a design flaw from Beanoland (and Chessie's budget not being able to stretch to such a fashion to alter it) and hence we end up with what it a rather unatmospheric area...

Such is the way of Chessie's attempts at adding things into the park since the turn of the Millenium, poorly thought out, poorly themed additions whilst the rest of the park falls apart... Zufari is the perfect example of a poorly thought out major ride after inspiration (read 'ripping off') from a Disney ride...

Don't even get me started on Zufari. The idea was clearly there, as you say, to have a ride of Disney quality, but a park the size of Chessington just doesn't have the infrastructure or even the same quality of operations to run a ride like Zufari in the same way Disney do.

When I went eariler in the season, only 2 trucks were in use, meaning painfully slow queues despite it being an off peak day. Also the pre-show was not not being used. This was my only visit of the year so I feel like I've missed out on a big chunk of the experience not seeing the pre-show, especially as we had to walk through it. You just wouldn't get that at Disney. If UK parks want to build Disney like rides, they have to at least try to operate them properly, but with their budgets I don't think that's even possible, so don't even bother putting in a pre-show if there's going to be days when it wont be used.

ZUFARI

1) Why do you have to pass the loading bay to exit?
2) Why do the queue times on the board only go to the nearest 15 mins?
3) Why have a ridiculous pre show if it isn't going to be used?
4) What does a four year old flexing his muscles have to do with bravery?
5) What's so scary about jets of water?
6) Why do I never see staff checking on the animals?
7) Why is there no much needed single rider queue?
8 ) Why a giant lapbar?
9) Why do the loading gates not line up in the slightest with the truck?
10) Why do I only see 60% of the animals on the list?

^ Tbf you aren't missing much with the pre-show.

As for the animals, they are gradually introducing them so 'hopefully' they'll have all the required animals, and more, in the future.

The animals will have needed some time to settle in. Getting used to the vehicles and the climate for example. On a warm and sunny day, most of the animals will come out and the ride is much better.

Aha, sorry ILC, I was aiming my comment at Enter Valhalla.

But your questions are pretty much what everyone asks. :p The pre-show is awful. I wish it was optional or just not there at all.

Tbh if the far doors are open when I walk into the preshow, I sneak through them when nobody's looking!