• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

AshleeKel said:
Themeparkmania said:
The Mystery of Hocus Pocus Hall

This was probably the biggest surprise of the day.

The Haunting in the Hollows
This was probably the biggest surprise of the day!

Which one was a bigger surprise of the day?

Typo ;-) Probably Hocus Pocus Hall, was actually really good!

Back to what they could do with bubbleworks. I think that they will ask guests what they would like to see like they are doing with falls and RMT, they will probably say that it has to fit in with a old, mid-European village, friendly theme of Transylvania. I do hope that what ever happens with it, I hope they keep the new exterior music, as its really started grow on me.

BenBowser said:
Back to what they could do with bubbleworks. I think that they will ask guests what they would like to see like they are doing with falls and RMT, they will probably say that it has to fit in with a old, mid-European village, friendly theme of Transylvania.

I really hope they don't do that, the themeing of RMT and Dragons is important and I hope they get it right, but they decorate actual rides which are fun in their own right. With bubbleworks the themeing is the ride and they should do something professionally they have full confidence in themselves.

Not that I think the guest design thing was anything more than marketing, nor do I have confidence in much happening to bubbleworks until I see it happen!

pluk said:
BenBowser said:
Back to what they could do with bubbleworks. I think that they will ask guests what they would like to see like they are doing with falls and RMT, they will probably say that it has to fit in with a old, mid-European village, friendly theme of Transylvania.

I really hope they don't do that, the themeing of RMT and Dragons is important and I hope they get it right, but they decorate actual rides which are fun in their own right. With bubbleworks the themeing is the ride and they should do something professionally they have full confidence in themselves.

Not that I think the guest design thing was anything more than marketing, nor do I have confidence in much happening to bubbleworks until I see it happen!
If you do think that the guest rethemeing for DF and RMT was just marketing, then you must think that chessington has pretty crap marketing team (which is certainly not the case), as the competition was only advatised on a small sign outside dragon falls, and a sign next to the mexican cantina, it wasnt even advitised on the website (unless you really looked hard). Although, having said that, I do Agree that the bubble works should be designed by chessington, and chessington only. If guests did design it then chances are, we would end up with another CATCF. Whatever they do with It, I hope they remove ALL of the IL theming.

BenBowser said:
If you do think that the guest rethemeing for DF and RMT was just marketing, then you must think that chessington has pretty crap marketing team (which is certainly not the case)

Maybe marketing is not the right word, but it was used to explain and excuse large parts of the park being a messy pile of crap most of this season. The info was there for those who were looking for it and was used in replies to facebook comments and such, so it was used to try and put a positive spin on a bad situation.

There are generic elements that will doubtless be in any in house design plans and would appear on at least some entries, so there can be a winner that in some way 'inspired' the end result. If the finished product next year looks substantially like any entry submitted designs I'll be amazed.

Hi there, what does everyone think about Land of the Dragons possibly being rethemed for the 2015/16 medium/major investment year. I just thought it might be on the cards as recently merlin have rethemed the previous 'fantasy' themed lands (Beanoland & Toy Town) and land of the dragons is the only land still standing that isn't themed to an area in the world. They could do what they did with Wild Asia and keep all the current attractions but rethemed them and add a major attraction as well. Does anyone else think this is likely?

BenBowser said:
Hi there, what does everyone think about Land of the Dragons possibly being rethemed for the 2015/16 medium/major investment year. I just thought it might be on the cards as recently merlin have rethemed the previous 'fantasy' themed lands (Beanoland & Toy Town) and land of the dragons is the only land still standing that isn't themed to an area in the world. They could do what they did with Wild Asia and keep all the current attractions but rethemed them and add a major attraction as well. Does anyone else think this is likely?

That is quite a reasonable possibility due to the fact that it is really the odd one out (apart from Pirate Cove which I believe is meant to be the UK?) I do think that they have bigger problems than that on the cards but I do believe that it would make sense!

That is certainly an interesting possibility. It would need to be a land that works well alongside Africa, Wild Asia and Mystic East since these are the closest lands. :)

Land of the dragons is considered for retheming?! I remember it opened like it was yesterday! I think something themed to one of the America continents would be a good idea.

TedTheHuman said:
I think something themed to one of the America continents would be a good idea.

Something with a Mayincatec kinda vibe could work.

But Chessington need to put back all the theming they have butchered before they start messing with what little theming they have left.

Lottie. said:
That is certainly an interesting possibility. It would need to be a land that works well alongside Africa, Wild Asia and Mystic East since these are the closest lands. :)

Let's not forget pirates cove!

See, I love the idea of an Incan / Azteca sort of area, but then you have to consider a number of things when re-theming an area.

First of all there's the rides within the area and their identities. Re-theming Dragons Fury for example isn't going to be as clear cut as you might think as I'm pretty sure re-painting is somewhat of a planning nightmare when it comes to that ride.

As for the Land of the Dragons them selves, something has to be done about the bottom end of the area near toadies to correct the issue of the "dead end" as it's a real down side to the area. I think rotating Griffin's to the right and building a path under Fury would work, but you'd have to do a lot of work for what Chessington might not consider a big reward.

I like the idea of a jungle theme. Maybe an amazonian / jungle area would work. It would certainly help in re-theming Canopy Capers and Dragons Playhouse, but I fail to see how Dragons Fury and alike would be themed into the area without a lot of work. I suppose you could re-paint the supports of Dragons Fury to look like tree's and paint the track green, but then the cars and would there be a story?

There are a lot of aspects to re-theming areas of the park and work certainly needs to be done to Land of the Dragons.

I must admit though, I think that Smugglers Pirates Cove needs looking at first. That area really needs a lot of help and could do with Seastorm being moved to make way for something else. That or swap it with the Carousel.

I'm waffling again. Who got me started?!

Get rid of Truckers, BOOM, second entrance into the area by Griffins... Get rid of a dire ride (with perhaps room to add sommat else) and give the park a bit of actual layout intelligence...

Whilst at it, Medieval theme, Dragon's Playhouse becomes a massive Central Castle, the entire area surrounded by walls meant to protect the castle/town from the local Dragon, but it doesn't work at all... Gut Playhouse/Cafe and turn it into a big sit-down restaurant (since the park only has 2 with decent levels of seating) and theme the hell out of the entire area...

Pirates Cove? Needs more identity really... Though that is primarily down to poor layout design... Perhaps re-routing Seastorm so the entrance/exit is into the Pirates area, which would allow for some form of area entrance feature on the opposite side... Whilst we're at it the park can get a Mack Supersplash to take up part of the field next door...

Although of course, fixing up the areas that have had their themes removed or destroyed in recent times would be a start... Then they can start replacing all the crap rides with decent ones...

Pirates Cove is too small to be an area imo, get buccaneer into a corner of tranny, and get seastorm into market square (replace with a lovely teacups, that's something missing!).

Chessington should keep Pirates'Ccove, as it holds a popular brand, but they should merge the bottom of Land of the Dragons (Griffins & Squirtalot) with Pirates' Cove and theme the place up more. Once this is done, I believe that Pirates' Cove will then finally have the right to be classed as an area. But at the moment it never attracts people, no people = no atmosphere.

Am I the only person who thinks that Chessington's themes are becoming a bit too 'serious' and quite dull?

Wild Asia and Zufari/Africa areas are nice, and an aztec/Inca area would probably be very well executed, but where's the fun and cheekiness that Chessington used to be famous for with areas like Pirate Cove and Mexicana? Even areas with more serious themes such as Mystic East and Transylvania were built in a way which made them fun, light hearted and added elements of humour. They were also more brightly coloured than the park's recent additions which, to me, just seem too drab.