• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

My first visit to Chessington was in 2009 so I'm hardly one to speak about the past at the park. But back when Wardley did come along and make Chessie a theme park it was the first of it's kind in the UK. I doubt that the budgets were massive (I could be wrong). People were clearly impressed, it caught on at other theme parks in the UK. Back then Chessington would have been classed a smaller park. When small parks in the UK or Europe do relatively basic but nicely themed rides today many people jump over fences to praise them for the care and effort they are showing.

A theme park doesn't and didn't need to have the best coasters or technology to be a really nice enjoyable and well themed park.

:)

Oh, I've been to the Zoo a few times, however only from 1994-1998 after that I sorta didn't like the idea of visiting exotic animals in cages, especially in Surrey haha.

And @ the fictitious areas of the park comment.
That's exactly what I miss about Chessington, I loved the feeling of being in different areas that were pure fiction, I can totally comprehend the reasons behind the changes though and it's actually a real nice idea, once it's finally out of this identity crisis between old and new I can imagine the park will be great for the next generation, however, it won't be the place of my childhood and that's what I'm hung up most about I guess.
On the other hand, we've already passed the event horizon and there's no point trying to convince anyone that they should bring back old aesthetics purely based on selfish nostalgic reasons so come what may <3

Hairobics said:
Oh, I've been to the Zoo a few times, however only from 1994-1998 after that I sorta didn't like the idea of visiting exotic animals in cages, especially in Surrey haha.

It is fair enough if you don't like to visit Zoos because animals in captivity makes you uncomfortable, but I really do suggest taking a gander through Trail of the Kings or Wanyama next time you visit in order to refresh your memory. Where do you remember visiting in particular?

The Zoo has improved a great deal since that time and a helluva lot more since the 1930s-1980s by removing the monstrous concrete cage eyesores and instead having generously sized enclosures so the animals have space to move and interact with each other, with the environment tailored to the species' habitat in the wild.

Regardless of the rest of the park, the zoo portions themselves are done really well. The animals certainly have decent enclosures and appear to be fairly content.

Also, Binturongs.

Rowe said:
generously sized enclosures so the animals have space to move and interact with each other
I especially Like the way they allow the lions to interact with the binturongs.

TraX on Thorpe Park Maina posted this of the Azteca Hotel earlier. Seems to have progressed quite well...
wvtjb9.jpg

Hehe, you'd think a zoo would have heard of the three little pigs. One of Joelios farts could bring that down.

Well, it's the same construction as the main hotel and that's been sturdy for 7 years, so obviously the Big Bad Wolf has failed on that occasion.

Just been thinking about the refurb of Mexicana this season, and noticed one of the games stalls has had some work and added more emphasis on the already existing Livery Stables. Now with the Children's Zoo just behind those facades, and TowersStreet reporting that the Old MacDonald's Farmyard animals are moving to that area of Chessington Zoo. What are the chances of a wall being knocked through, and having the Donkeys peep around Mexicana?

Just a thought, but it would be a nice touch if they did. :)

The scorpion animatronic is in place and it looks pretty big! But no hope of the tunnels returning now...

I can't believe I beat BenBowser to posting this.

Theme Park Guide's photo:
1456081_614083145313655_313224637_n.jpg

Errrr what's that you say? It doesn't look like a scorpion yet?

Part of me wants them to leave it bare like that, a giant metal scorpion fashioned from bits of scrap iron! But that would be silly. :twirly:

electricBlll said:
Neither can I!

Anyway, I quite like the scorpion like that (please don't shoot me), wonder where they got the idea of a mechanical animals from? *cough* The Smiler *cough*. It does look quite good. :)

Enter Valhalla said:
the ride will literally just be Flying Fish with an animatronic scrorpion in the middle :mad:
Yes. BHAT WITH FIRE

BenBowser said:
wonder where they got the ide of a mechanical animals
The scorpion won't actually be like that*! That's what all animatronics look like underneath the skin... :p Also notice the spray nozzle from where the scorpion will squirt riders with a nice face full of water as the train goes past.

*unless they are actually planning to leave it that way. Help.

^ I know that you been, but the concept art/advertising material shows the scorpion looking mechanical. So you never know*...

*Until opening day!

Looks like a Flesh N Blood reptile to me:

1907561_696842307023152_1074355034_n.jpg

Whether they plan for it to be mechanical or not, the finished product will look very different to how it does in that photo, it clearly still has painting and further dressing to go. :)

Theme Park Guide have posted this of Market Square's new look:
1972492_614116828643620_1569096058_n.jpg

Nice new even floor, and great paint work to the Chessington Shop. As well as a hole in the floor...

This image isn't mine, it belongs to Theme Park Guide:
https://www.facebook.com/themeparkguide

I beat electricBill this time!

BenBowser said:
electricBlll said:
Neither can I!

Anyway, I quite like the scorpion like that (please don't shoot me), wonder where they got the ide of a mechanical animals *cough* The Smiler *cough*. It does look quite good. :)

Mechanical animal on the Smiler? :S