• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

CoasterCrazyChris said:
Any pictures of what it was like before, so we can compare?

This is the best I could do with google maps:

BEFORE
55rytl.png

21e7sy8.png

AFTER
BenBowser said:
Theme Park Guide have posted this of Market Square's new look:
1972492_614116828643620_1569096058_n.jpg

Nice new even floor, and great paint work to the Chessington Shop. As well as a hole in the floor...

This image isn't mine, it belongs to Theme Park Guide:
https://www.facebook.com/themeparkguide

I beat electricBill this time!

Yep, paved the whole square to replace the layers of tarmac (with a nice sandy texture effect heading into Mexicana and presumably something similar heading into Pirates Cove), removed the game stalls and trees in favour of a new centre piece. The shop has also been stripped back to its original appearance it seems. :)

Chessington really want Market Square to become the "hub" of the park, which guests will be able to see easier now that it's more open.

Hairobics said:
BEFORE
21e7sy8.png

AFTER
1972492_614116828643620_1569096058_n.jpg

That looks superb. Where horrible tarmac was before is now a lovely English village square. The new paint jobs are subtle and pleasing to the eye, and the removal of clutter has improved the space ten-fold. It looks like something from a soulful European park. Well done to Merlin and Chessington. :)

Interested to see if critic-in-chief Diogo will express similar sentiments.

That work on Market Square does indeed look lovely, I can hardly recognise it!

:)

It's hard to really judge it properly from one photo, but the paving is a big improvement and the buildings look much nicer.

It still needs some greenery and something to break it up a bit though.

:)

DiogoJ42 said:
Sam said:

No.

Surely proving that, rather than provide genuine and constructive criticism, you just like to moan.

This 'Merlin are worse than the Nazis, everyone should boycott them like me' thing is just getting really boring. ::)

Themed flooring in a Merlin park? :eek:

A good change at Chessie? :eek:

Clearly still had some grey paint left over from Wild Asia ;) That said, that looks the best it has since well, ever...

I quite like the look of that train :)

Having seen the scorpion today, I think I'll hold judgement until the attraction opens. I'm not too sure what to think. But the new-look Market Square certainly shows that Chessington can do good.

Sam said:
DiogoJ42 said:
Sam said:

No.

Surely proving that, rather than provide genuine and constructive criticism, you just like to moan.

This 'Merlin are worse than the Nazis, everyone should boycott them like me' thing is just getting really boring. ::)

Find me one quote where I have envoked Godwin's Law in relation to Merlin. ;)

There's a reason I am refraining from commenting on this: I know from past experience that there is no point arguing with you.

The new market square is fantastic, looks like a little colonial town square. Really like the look of it and definitely a step in the right direction.

As for the hotel construction, all hotels are built like that these days.

It looks nice enough, reminiscent of Tripsdrill, but in a similar way to Mutiny Bay, it's a little threadbare. Is a fountain going in that there hole?

Something that really made the old Runaway Train special was the interaction between the operator and the riders. I'm sure it was the only major ride on park (the other being Rameses Revenge) where the operator could control the whole ride experience - the speed, number of circuits, for example.

I remember it always felt naughty when you'd get extra circuits, even though it was such a short ride anyway. As long as they don't give the ride some kind of dodgy pre show room then I don't see why they can't keep the tradition going.

By the way I was utterly wrong about the scorpion being flesh and blood, as those cogs and springs are clearly superficial rather than part of the animatronic. Hmm, interesting...!

I'm looking forward to seeing how Scorpion Express develops, even if it looks a bit bland atm. Then I could be biased that I will be working at the park, and when this opens, it will be one of the rides I'm going to be operator on. :p

I just thought I'd say it's nice to see some positivity surrounding what Chessington are doing this season!