• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Spinball's wont be higher, in fact it is likely lower. When run well (which it tends to be these days) Fury dispatches more or less as soon as the previous train has cleared the lift. Seeing as Spinball has that odd little corner after the station, dispatch times will have to be lower than Fury's, resulting in a lower throughput.

Spinball can dispatch before the previous car clears the lift, and as it's actually able to run with 4 adults per car the overall throughput will be much higher than Fury's (though at least Fury finally has an SRQ so it doesn't have to send 2 per car any more). Spinball is theoretically capable of around 720/hour, the only issue is when guests can't fit into the tiny seats/restraints.

Spinball easily achieves 700pph and is one of the only coasters at Alton Towers which cars often have to wait to be dispatched. Not to mention you'll get 4 adults in a car.

Fury could, once upon a time, get between 600-700 on an average day without forcing the operations too much...

Vampire with 3 trains could get over 1000 with a good team...

Throughputs seem to be a secondary interest at Chessie for a few years now, waaaaay too much focus on guest 'interaction' on platforms when time is best served dispatching...

Fury could, once upon a time, get between 600-700 on an average day without forcing the operations too much...

Vampire with 3 trains could get over 1000 with a good team...

Throughputs seem to be a secondary interest at Chessie for a few years now, waaaaay too much focus on guest 'interaction' on platforms when time is best served dispatching...
The days of three train operations where if not dispatched quick enough there was an emergency shut down and the ride would stop for 10 minutes!

I don’t believe the ride was meant to do an emergency shut down. My understanding is that if there’s three trains, and a train reaches the top of the second lift and the one in front hasn’t cleared the block brakes in the tunnel, the train will simply stop at the top of the lift hill until there’s a clear run. But it shouldn’t shut down. With three trains it normally did stop on the second lift.

I don’t believe the ride was meant to do an emergency shut down. My understanding is that if there’s three trains, and a train reaches the top of the second lift and the one in front hasn’t cleared the block brakes in the tunnel, the train will simply stop at the top of the lift hill until there’s a clear run. But it shouldn’t shut down. With three trains it normally did stop on the second lift.
Were talking in the 90's it happened several times when I was there and it was a good 10 minute wait.

In that case maybe they changed the system when they added the Vekoma trains, but I don't think it would shutdown now.
I think your right as they did a complete systems overall too. The station crew used to really say we need to load you withing 90 seconds or the system will shut you down. I think that was 97.

I can exclusively reveal the next development, and it is...

Shipping containers!

They're adding a gift shop to the Explorer Gate (grass car parks), built inside a couple of shipping containers. It does make sense to have a gift shop at the busiest entrance (most theme parks do), and it will add a bit of interest to an otherwise bland area. It looks like the front will be well themed, although it remains to be seen whether they theme it from all angles. All in all it probably is a positive development (as are several other things they've got in the pipeline), although like a lot of developments, it lacks the touch of quality you might get at somewhere like Europa Park or Efteling

It's actually shipping containers. Like I say, they have themed the front to look like crates (similar to the ones in Madagascar) and they do fit the Chessington brand. At the moment if you look at the entrance from inside the park (from Dragon's Fury) it looks like a couple of shipping containers. But it hasn't opened yet, and may not be finished.

Well, I was there the other day and they most certainly don't look like shipping containers. They have been themed to look like animal crates of some sorts. I thought they'd disguised it rather well, or was I not looking hard enough?

I wonder whether it has been developed to stall people before leaving the park? It would make sense if they're trying to solve the traffic issues the area suffers from.

Well, I was there the other day and they most certainly don't look like shipping containers. They have been themed to look like animal crates of some sorts. I thought they'd disguised it rather well, or was I not looking hard enough?

I wonder whether it has been developed to stall people before leaving the park? It would make sense if they're trying to solve the traffic issues the area suffers from.

A shop doesn't create a whole load of stalling, it creates "income". Which is fine but that is it's role, pure and simple.

Operations weren't horrendous on Saturday, but sadly Vampire was borked, which required everything else on park to take more strain :p

A shop doesn't create a whole load of stalling, it creates "income". Which is fine but that is it's role, pure and simple.
Well, it doesn't exactly take a genius to figure that out. I was thinking more of the actual placement you know. If it was solely for profit surely they would have put it somewhere more obvious and made it a Fury exit shop.

If it's a major exit for the park they will want a gift shop there, Chessington doesn't have the one entrance format most parks have.

The key purpose for human life is to reproduce, that doesn't mean we don't do other things.

The same can be said for the shop. My point is that although the shop will make money. It will also help disperse the massive traffic queues created at closing time.