• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

I think, on the whole it is far from offensive. The main downside to the new style is the lack of transition between inside and outside. The old RMT worked so well because, from the queue you couldn't tell what went on inside the rocks.

They could have easily kept this element without redoing the rock work- just by being more adventurous with the positioning of the backdrop. But, all things considered it looks decent, it could have been far worse and the attempts at a humorous backstory is a great relief (after the dirge of Zufari!). I look forward to riding it.

Given that I am unlikely to return to Chessington in the foreseeable future, I would like to see some wide shots of the whole ride, to see what this new backdrop looks like. My fears are that it will look like a glorified fairground ride.

It looks fine. Nothing particularly wow when you consider the entire ride was built with a mountain originally, but for a park with no money this will be fine.

Merlin didn't build the queue, it was already like that. Has been since it opened.

BigAl said:
Merlin didn't build the queue, it was already like that. Has been since it opened.

Really? I don't remember the queue wrapping around like that. Oh well. Maybe it will give the team some inspiration for their next ride. Right?

Did anyone saying this is OK actually see the original?

Even the scorpion looks bored, look at the way it can barely be arsed to pinch it's claws lol!

Don't think it's happy about being on minimum wage.

TheMan said:

Yes, I did and I think the new version is pretty cool. Sure, it's not quite as elaborately themed, sure it's not got the rock work, sure, it may seem somewhat bare, but in all honesty, it's a solid change with amazing atmosphere and is a move in the right direction.

I must now put this to you all. Who here has actually seen it for real and experienced all the changes, such as the queue-line details, the real Scorpions in the queue and the music? Who's actually ridden it in it's new form? Not many of you.

How about we do things the old fashioned way and actually experience something before being so pessimistic all the time?

Weren't you all moaning that it looked tired and outdated?! Not anymore. Can't please anyone these days, clearly a reason to not bother investing...

Did anybody saying it's bad actually care about Chessington before it became fashionable for enthusiasts to do so?

A joke by the way. :twirly:

Jared said:
Weren't you all moaning that it looked tired and outdated? Not anymore. Can't please anyone these days, clearly a reason to not bother investing...
True, so true. People on here will find reasons to complain, even if there isn't any!

BenBowser said:
People on here will find reasons to complain, even if there isn't any!

Erm, it's called an opinion. It's a wonderful thing you know!

In your opinion there's nothing to complain about, in other peoples opinions there are things to complain about - it's a two-way street!

James said:
Erm, it's called an opinion. It's a wonderful thing you know!

In your opinion there's nothing to complain about, in other peoples opinions there are things to complain about - it's a two-way street!
Now that down to your opinion, isn't it. ;)

Jared said:
I must now put this to you all. Who here has actually seen it for real and experienced all the changes, such as the queue-line details, the real Scorpions in the queue and the music? Who's actually ridden it in it's new form? Not many of you.

How about we do things the old fashioned way and actually experience something before being so pessimistic all the time?

Weren't you all moaning that it looked tired and outdated?! Not anymore. Can't please anyone these days, clearly a reason to not bother investing...

Because you have never declared an opinion on Alton Towers (or many other parks for that matter) before experiencing them Jared... Practice what you preach

This is a forum, it is perfectly acceptable to make on opinion based on pictures and videos so long as you qualify that was how the opinion was formed and are open to a change of heart once you have experienced it. Otherwise how would we have any discussion on the many foreign parks that are popular on these forums.

BenBowser said:
Jared said:
Weren't you all moaning that it looked tired and outdated? Not anymore. Can't please anyone these days, clearly a reason to not bother investing...
True, so true. People on here will find reasons to complain, even if there isn't any!

It's easy to attack the forum when something your a fan of gets a little negativity (I notice Chessington fans where not complaining when the market square refurb got praise). I like this forum because generally you get honest views, even on it's focus which is Alton Towers (which hardly gets universal praise here). There is much less fanboyism here than many other places I could name, and though there will always be those with hard to fathom opinions that's part of the fun.

I don't need to go there and experience it to know that what I have seen in pictures and videos is mediocre at best.

Has the UK theme park industry really become that bad that a cheap backdrop and a lifeless animatronic is considered a good standard of theming for one of the UK's top theme parks? It's like it has got to the point where the standard has dropped so low people will praise anything.

It's not all bad - the western/mexican themed signage looks really good and the fact it isn't tatty and falling apart anymore is always a bonus, but other than that? It doesn't look like it is even trying to immerse you. They didn't even bother to hide the huge corrugated shed behind, which says it all really about this retheme.

The ONLY thing that made the original Runaway Mine Train vaguely exciting was the fact that by the ride going in and out of the mountain it created the illusion there was more to the ride and therefore more exciting.

Now it's basically just the Flying Fish but with a scorpion in the middle instead of a fish....

From what I've seen so far of Scorpion Express it seems to be something of a mixed bag. What's there seems to be of a pretty high standard, but I get the impression that the ride itself will be far less fun without the tunnels.

As for the new queue line, lets just say there's no way I'll be riding this thing on a busy day (photo from TPM):

IMAG1000_zpsa4d33494.jpg

That's one of Merlin's better queues, which is depressing.

Nice to see some effort on theming but another soul destroying cattle pen.

South Parks have posted some photos to their Facebook page, I particularly like this:

1982231_10152095643483495_373999208_n.jpg

:)