• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

I can exclusively reveal that following the success of Croc Drop and forming an outstanding relationship with the manufactuerer, Chessington plan to invest in an SBF Visa MX608 Park Model spinning coaster....:

bffb4a6848e9664db836b3feddd7cbb2.jpg

:p

I can exclusively reveal that following the success of Croc Drop and forming an outstanding relationship with the manufactuerer, Chessington plan to invest in an SBF Visa MX608 Park Model spinning coaster....:

aaerwfg

:p
Annoyingly that photo won't show for me.
Edit: now working, I do hope Chessington don't build that!

Last edited:
It'll probably be a Vekoma junior, boomerang, or something along those lines with a centre piece-theming object, and a name produced by the marketing intern.

Will it open before the London Resort? Who knows.

Given that Land of the Dragons is really just one centrepiece coaster with some childrens rides and indoor and outdoor play equipment, the fact they are describing this as a rollercoaster and some kids rides sounds like we could get something on a similar scale again. Which for Chessington should be a good addition, but equally could still end up too low capacity for what they really need.

For some idea of what this could be, the park is referencing their masterplan from 2016 as their reason for building this ride (they referenced roller coasters in the masterplan).

With that in mind, the two ride types cited back in the masterplan were a “Wild Jungle Ride”, depicting a jungle-themed family launch coaster similar to Juvelen, and a “Water Coaster”, depicting a pirate-themed water coaster. For that reason, I’m personally expecting either a family launch coaster or water coaster to come out of this, which I think would both be pretty good fits for the park, personally.

So if the park sticks to its masterplan, I’d expect either a family launch coaster or a water coaster.

Here is an overview of the masterplan from Attraction Source, if you want a look at what I mean: https://www.attractionsource.com/20...ntures-begin-consultations-on-long-term-plan/

I'm a little concerned by the wording 'rollercoaster and other children's rides'. Linking the coaster to the phrase 'other childrens rides' suggests to me childrens coaster, rather than a family coaster of any significant size.

If the pont of the release is to generate excitement and the coaster was significant surely they'd call it a family coaster or similar, or at least give some vague comment on its scale? Or maybe it's more of a planning consideration and throwing the childrens word in there is to make those who might oppose it think there's little to worry about, what with it being just childrens rides?

Or maybe I'm reading too much into a release which contains almost no information?!

This document is primarily aimed at locals who will have a say in the planning permission process. Therefore I imagine it has been worded in a way that speaks to that audience and they will want the least amount of objections as possible.

Last edited:
I'm a little concerned by the wording 'rollercoaster and other children's rides'. Linking the coaster to the phrase 'other childrens rides' suggests to me childrens coaster, rather than a family coaster of any significant size.

If the pont of the release is to generate excitement and the coaster was significant surely they'd call it a family coaster or similar, or at least give some vague comment on its scale? Or maybe it's more of a planning consideration and throwing the childrens word in there is to make those who might oppose it think there's little to worry about, what with it being just childrens rides?

Or maybe I'm reading too much into a release which contains almost no information?!

I think you are reading into it too much, as AT86 mentioned, the document was for locals as part of planning permission consultation.

Also Land of the Dragons is a rollercoaster (Dragons Fury) surrounded by children's rides (Griffin's Galleon and Sea Dragons). I would still except a family coaster to be the centrepiece ride.
CWoA really isn't going to add a thrill coaster with a 1.4m restriction, they have moved all those rides to Thorpe.

With that in mind, the two ride types cited back in the masterplan were a “Wild Jungle Ride”, depicting a jungle-themed family launch coaster similar to Juvelen, and a “Water Coaster”, depicting a pirate-themed water coaster.
I'm not convinced a water coaster is a particularly good fit for the UK. Walking around Chessington can be a miserable enough experience at times without also being wet and cold too.

I’d be interested to see how Chessie could get a water coaster in, given their challenges with planning in the past. Certainly with the more traditional models from Intamin and Mack you need a good amount of height and space, and I’m not sure how well either one would fit in with Chessington’s target market?..

… Time to dust off rumours of the long-awaited second Aqua Trax? :tearsofjoy:

I think you are reading into it too much, as AT86 mentioned, the document was for locals as part of planning permission consultation.

That being the case, the wording will have been very carefully considered by, so very likely things can be read into it. It's not a quick tweet fired out by an ill informed social media bod, it'll have had planning and legal all over it with a strategy in mind.

New coaster? At Chessington?...

Must mean Vampire's on it's way out then...
In the masterplan, the park said that this new coaster will function as a “new headline attraction” that will “ensure the park stays relevant”. I’m not 100% sure what they currently consider Chessington’s headline attraction, but given that Vampire is 31 years old, built by a defunct manufacturer that is presumably hard to get parts for and is allegedly hated by the locals, I wouldn’t be too surprised if Vampire ultimately does end up leaving sooner rather than later, personally.

Unpopular opinion; I admittedly only rode it once, back in 2014, but I’ll admit I wasn’t very keen on Vampire at all. I remember it mostly feeling quite slow, like it wasn’t doing an awful lot, and it was surprisingly rough. I was a bit underwhelmed by it in that regard, as I always heard it get very heavily praised; most seem to love it. I personally much preferred Dragon’s Fury, though.

Maybe Thorpe might get a new coaster soon too? We never know; I’m sure they’re next in line after Chessington!

I personally think that both Thorpe and Chessington could certainly do with new roller coasters ahead of Alton Towers; even Swarm, the newest roller coaster at either, will be 10 years old in 2022, while Wicker Man will only be 4 years old in 2022. Alton also had Smiler built more recently than either Thorpe or Chessington’s newest roller coaster; Smiler will be 9 in 2022.

Admittedly, though, this is because both have been focusing their major investments on non-roller coaster attractions, which isn’t a bad thing by any means!

Keeping with the trend of buying great quality hardware I see. Am I the only one who would not be even remotely surprised if they actually bought a KumbaK water coaster?.. Cause, ya know… DVH worked so well and is a first class coaster experience…(!)

(and yes, I am fully aware this is merely a concept illustration, so no way representative of the final product.)

Chessington gets worse every time they invest so this will pretty much be the death of vampire.