• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Hill Train at Lego has definitely been operating.

Scorpion Express is different, clearly a maintenance issue, but I wonder if the rest are to do with staffing levels? All parks have been struggling hugely with recruitment this year.

In most cases they are broken.

If only they'd taken this extended downtime to get rid of the cardboard cutout 'theming' and put the rock work back, so it wasn't still a pile of crap when it reopened.

Last edited:
Looks like the biggest issue raised for the Chessington Waterpark project (the lack of slides) has been addressed.

Full planning has now been applied for.

From: https://twitter.com/attractionsc/status/1674775262368759810?s=46&t=zG_i8R9vX93ZZU0RljfzWA

Looks decent enough for a park like Chessington. It’s nice that Merlin under Lego have a bit more confidence in the park than it’s previous leadership did.

Seem to be trying to angle it as a smaller Alton Towers in the south which is no bad thing.

Going back to the food, about 10 years ago I went to an assessment centre at the Chessington Hotel. They asked us what a manager's top priority is.
"Health and safety", I said.
"No, it's not healthy and safety".
The guy next to me went "KPIs"
"And that's the right answer"

Even though this happened 10 years ago and I'm sure none of the managers at the assessment centre are still there, it still irks me.

Looks like the biggest issue raised for the Chessington Waterpark project (the lack of slides) has been addressed.

Full planning has now been applied for.

From: https://twitter.com/attractionsc/status/1674775262368759810?s=46&t=zG_i8R9vX93ZZU0RljfzWA

Has anything else changed other than the addition of the four slides? I feel like the plans didn’t look as extensive as that before, but I could be wrong. Were there any proper slides before?

It looks like a fun waterpark that should suit Chessington well!

I wonder whether any of the four slides will have any “bells and whistles” so to speak; a lot of newer slides have things like bowls, funnels and such, so I wonder if any of these four slides will follow suit? Based on the overhead plan, I’d guess probably not, but I’m open to surprises!

I’m also intrigued by the “Action River”, which I also don’t remember from the previous set of plans. Are we expecting simply a faster lazy river (such as TeAwa: The Fearless River at Volcano Bay), or are we expecting something with proper drops and such, which would be more akin to the Wild Water Rapids at various Center Parcs waterparks?

Has anything else changed other than the addition of the four slides? I feel like the plans didn’t look as extensive as that before, but I could be wrong. Were there any proper slides before?

I wonder whether any of the four slides will have any “bells and whistles” so to speak; a lot of newer slides have things like bowls, funnels and such, so I wonder if any of these four slides will follow suit? Based on the overhead plan, I’d guess probably not, but I’m open to surprises!

I’m also intrigued by the “Action River”, which I also don’t remember from the previous set of plans. Are we expecting simply a faster lazy river (such as TeAwa: The Fearless River at Volcano Bay), or are we expecting something with proper drops and such, which would be more akin to the Wild Water Rapids at various Center Parcs waterparks?

Here's a full list of the features the waterpark will have. Sounds really impressive imo! Architecture looks beautiful as well.
bandicam 2023-07-01 11-09-10-207.jpg
Here's a link to the full application. The design and access statement part 1 contains most of the information.

I’m pretty sure it had the outdoor fast river on the previous plans too, but the only slide was a smaller one as part of the elephant structure I think.

Here's a full list of the features the waterpark will have. Sounds impressive! The architecture looks beautiful as well.
bandicam 2023-07-01 11-09-10-207.jpg
Here's a link to the full application. The design and access statement part 1 contains most of the information.
That does look very good! I am especially looking forward to the water coaster (and comparing it to Master Blaster)!

With WhiteWater West having been named as the supplier of the park’s slides, it might be worth taking a look at their range of products: https://www.whitewaterwest.com/en/products/water-slides/

By the looks of the WhiteWater West website and the synopsis of the individual slides described above, I’d take a stab at the newly added adult slides being a WhiteWater West Parallel Pursuit (the body slide version rather than the mat slide version), a WhiteWater West Family Raft Slide, and a WhiteWater West Master Blaster. The Elephant Slides sound as though they will be a duo of WhiteWater West Mini Body Slides.

For those interested, the throughput of the Parallel Pursuit is 360pph, the throughput of the Family Raft Slide can be between 540pph and 1,080pph dependent on whether 3, 4 or 6 rider rafts are chosen, and the throughput of the Master Blaster can range between 360pph and 1,080pph dependent on whether 2, 3, 4 or 6 rider rafts are chosen. The Mini Body Slide has an individual throughput of 240pph, so the duo that Chessington has gone for should have a combined throughput of 480pph.

It sounds as though Chessington has gone for the lowest throughput version of all the tube/raft slides, as the family raft slide will seat 3 and the water coaster will seat 2 according to the attraction list shown above, but I’m sure this won’t be an issue with the likely limited visitor figures, and these sound like solid choices nonetheless!

Why doesn't this surprise me?
It probably doesn’t matter so much in a waterpark setting, particularly one on a scale this small.

Water parks by their very nature have lots of non-slide activities with pretty much infinite capacity (within reason), so the slides themselves won’t be the only draw, and I’d imagine that guest figures won’t be terribly high at this waterpark relative to the theme park itself in the grand scheme of things.

With this in mind, even the lower end throughput figures probably won’t seem nearly as low in practice as they sound on paper.

It probably doesn’t matter so much in a waterpark setting, particularly one on a scale this small.

Water parks by their very nature have lots of non-slide activities with pretty much infinite capacity (within reason), so the slides themselves won’t be the only draw, and I’d imagine that guest figures won’t be terribly high at this waterpark relative to the theme park itself in the grand scheme of things.

With this in mind, even the lower end throughput figures probably won’t seem nearly as low in practice as they sound on paper.
I agree. I would expect the throughput of these rides to cope with the demand. It is a running joke that all of Chessington's rides have the lowest throughput possible.

Imagine going for a swim, queueing for ages, then by the time to ride you're dry!

Jokes aside, the waterpark will certainly have a much smaller capacity than the park (probably only a couple hundred), so theoretically the lower throughputs won't be as much of a hinderence as similar numbers would have on park.