• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

For the life of me, I don't understand why fixing that ride is so difficult ? They're so commonplace and the manufacturer is still in existence - furthermore, a manufacturer who was running one of these rides until an unfortunate incident wiped it out recently.

For all their faults, Merlin are not opposed to spending money on what many would consider to be a lost cause, whether it be The Blade, Enterprise, Slammer, Sequoia Adventure etc - they go a long way before giving up.

For the life of me, I don't understand why fixing that ride is so difficult ?
Gotta recoupe that JAMANJI money 😢

Edit: also, this is largely conjecture, but it's possible their yearly spending budget is a lot higher than you might assume; apparently maintaining Vampire last year cost the park more than what the whole of Jamamji cost to build.

It could be that, after the repairs did not fix scorpion, their budget is simply better used elsewhere in their eyes.

Last edited:
Without saying too much, consider me well informed lol
I can consider you well informed and still call that out as a load of rubbish lol. There is literally no way that can be true hah.

Also bear in mind that those are entirely different budgets - Jumanji would have been a CAPEX investment, whereas general maintenance for Vampire would be OPEX.

There is always the possibility that some larger-value maintenance projects on an existing ride (like vampire) could and would be capitalised, but ain't no way you'd spend upwards of £10m on it and, from an outsider's perspective, see zero difference (eg new trains, new track, new station etc) lol.

Jumanji cost £17m in total.

I don’t know much about the matter, but I feel like maintaining a ride probably wouldn’t cost anywhere close to £17m per year, or else the parks would make absolutely no profit on the basis of how much turnover they get annually and how many rides the average park has.

That's exactly what was insinuated. I don't know what has been done to justify that budget since I don't think much work besides the essentials was performed over the closed season, but that's what's being said.

That's exactly what was insinuated. I don't know what has been done to justify that budget since I don't think much work besides the essentials was performed over the closed season, but that's what's being said.
You're definitely not getting it.. it's not that it's lunacy that such a value would be spent, it's that such a value has categorically not been spent. The fact is plainly incorrect lol.

Without saying too much, consider me well informed lol
Regardless of whether what you're claiming is accurate or not (and it sounds very much not) these types of 'I know but can't say' comments are extremely unwelcome and irritating. Lots of forum members actually do work in the industry or have contacts that do: if they're at liberty to disclose information publicly they may do so but if they aren't they simply say nothing. All this 'I can't reveal my sources' nonsense is a bit childish and adds nothing to discussion.

Well that is pretty shocking, and confirms complete failings in design, maintenance, process and operation then. That is the very basics of hygiene being ignored, not just a bit of wayward paperwork some were hoping for.

Hand washing station with no soap and filthy glass storage and what must be weeks of dirt build up and floor debris. Yum yum.