• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

I've been meaning to post my thoughts on Zufari and Chessington as a whole since I got back. It being only my 2nd ever visit I was excited to see how it had changed since I had last visited. Starting with Zufari, I think it's a strictly middle of the road affair. It's ok, average, but a number of minor touches could improve it massively in my eyes.

To start off, at present, the ride area and surrounding area is incredibly bland. Having said that, when the vegetation does grow it will look considerably better. It's a shame that the queue area and bridge into the area are surrounded by huge bamboo fences as it makes the area seem so small and cramped. Viewing the trucks going around whilst stood in the queue would make the queue experience a lot less boring. There is very little at the minute in the queue to keep people entertained and it's a very cramped cattle pen you could be stuck in for some time.

Moving onto the pre show, it's nothing special really, but it keeps children entertained. The animation on the Lemur is terrible, but having an actual person doing it's voice and interacting with the group in the building I thought was fantastic, so it's six of one and half a dozen of the other in the terms of that.

Onto the station and loading, I thought this was a complete shambles to be honest. Onload/offload is just a complete mess and quite a scrum. The main reason for this is, after the pre show, everyone is let out at once creating a complete bottle neck in the tiny area outside the building. Perhaps letting one row out at a time could help this? Also, when the ride is over and you return to the station, you offload on one part, then walk through a gate right across the onload area whilst people are moving onto the platform to load into the trucks, creating another mess of people. Why not just load/offload in the same area one after the other?

Ride wise I found the whole thing to be nowhere near as bad as people are making out. I think we had a good day weather wise so a lot of the animals were playing ball being outside and running around which was good. I will however say that it's a bit short for my liking and the finale is quite poor. Not enough happens in the final cave, and what does happen left me wondering why it actually had happened. The only thought I could draw from it was there was some sort of storm that floods the cave? If this is the case, even just adding some bright strobes and the sound of thunder/lightning would improve it greatly and make the finale easier to understand.

Tl;dr, it's not as bad as everyone has made it to be, however it's not amazing either. It's strictly a middle of the road, average attraction.

Moving on to the whole park itself and it's current state after my last visit. I have to say, I was completely dreading seeing the state it had fallen into after reading what people had posted on here. However, it wasn't that bad at all. They've hit the nail on the head with Wild Asia, the "newest" area since my last visit, and the whole area looks fantastic, a major improvement on Beano Land that went before it. Ride wise it's still as sparse as when it was BL and Kobra is a bit of a a bore, but theme wise it looks great in my eyes.

Dragon Falls, on the other hand, is a state. I remember the first time I visited, back in 2007, and being completely awestruck by the thing. For a log flume in the UK to look like that blew me away. Now it's completely devoid of external theming and just really industrial. I really hope they manage to pull it back to something that resembles what it used to be.

Ride operations wise, we had a good day and hit the park when they were running things relatively well on the whole, despite it being quite busy. Operations on Vampire were a bit odd with holding everyone and only letting two at a time into the airgates, but it seemed to sort of work in a weird way. I think they said they hit capacity whilst we were queuing for it also. However, whether their capacity is the actual rides available capacity is another thing :p However, Dragon's Fury was a bit of a fail, stacking all cars either in the station or on the break run two or three times whilst we were queuing. For a ride that is supposed to constantly moves it's cars through the station, that's quite a bad jam to be honest.

On the whole, I think Chessington is getting a bad rap on here from people. It isn't running as bad as people make out and Zufari isn't a complete disaster and write off, it just need that extra something to make it memorable. However, my visits to Chessington are very few and far between, this last weekend being only my second one ever. Therefore, being a relative n00b to the park this could be why i didn't pick up on things as much as people who visit regularly would.

Tl;dr, I like Chessington ;D

Im not sure if this has been mentioned but i have just been on the Chessington website and it seems they are running a competition for a refurbishment of Dragon Falls. Im not sure how to put a picture up but it sais,

"Dragon Falls is being re-themed and we would like your help. Sketch your vision of what dragon falls should look like and you could see your design come to life and win a family chessington annual pass. If you want to help send your drawings to [email protected] . Dont forget that dragon falls is located in mystic east so will need to fit an oriental theme. "

It also sais that there is to be a £5million upgrade to take place during 2013/2014. As i said im not sure if this has been mentioned but i thought id share it :)

Yep, has been discussed at length further back in this thread. Interesting to note that the competition is detailed on sandwich boards around the area surrounding Dragon Falls.

DiogoJ42 said:
In other words, we aren't getting the old faces back :'(
Theres nothing to say we are, nothing to say we aren't... I don't have any emotional attachment to Chessie as I have never been there but when I have seen pictures in this thread of before and after - I can truly see why people are so upset... The original opening pictures make me think 'Wow... THAT was in a British park?!"

Anyway, the point I am trying to get at is that just because the heads may not return doesn't nevessarily mean that something just as high quality will not replace it.

I wouldn't read anything into the marketing, it's just there to tell people the area is not what it once was, and that they're going to work on it - just adding a positive spin to things.

Chessington Buzz have posted an interview with Nick Varney!

One of the more positive answers...

Nick Varney interview said:
The SEALIFE Centre was the first addition the Merlin group made to the park, are there any plans to finish it off and add a facade to the tent? It doesn't look all that adventurous as it is.

Yes, we will add a permanent façade once we have completed some other priority projects.

Yes, but he also says he thinks Burger Kitchen is better than Burger King...

As much as the quality of the food is improving at Chessington and all of the other attractions that Merlin operates, why is it that the individual themes of some of the larger eateries such as the restaurant in Transylvania are being diluted when they become rebranded?

I don’t think that they are. We are focusing on better quality food and service in standard formats across the Merlin Entertainments Group. While all will benefit from more unique theming over time, they are a considerable step forward from high street style Burger Kings and Pizza Huts.

... So I'd take anything he says with a large bucket of salt.

It seems like he does have a genuine place for Chessie and doesn't want to see it fall behind again though... I think the commitment to the hotel and the possibility for future "other attractions" to expand the resort are very positive and I also think that he gives off the vibe that investment may pick up again now that infrastructure work has generally been completed.

Important to note that he states that the theming removed this year will be replaced "as new"

DiogoJ42 said:
Yes, but he also says he thinks Burger Kitchen is better than Burger King...

As much as the quality of the food is improving at Chessington and all of the other attractions that Merlin operates, why is it that the individual themes of some of the larger eateries such as the restaurant in Transylvania are being diluted when they become rebranded?

I don’t think that they are. We are focusing on better quality food and service in standard formats across the Merlin Entertainments Group. While all will benefit from more unique theming over time, they are a considerable step forward from high street style Burger Kings and Pizza Huts.

... So I'd take anything he says with a large bucket of salt.

I dont think thats fair. He took the time out to answer some questions for a small enthusiast website. And he didn't get a spokesperson. Looking at his biography, he seems like a nice, passionate and charitable man. He has responded very well to the questions and the info he has given us has made my day, and has given me much confidence (In Chessington and Merlin Entertaiments).

It is a considerable step forwards having their own in-brand eateries to external companies, it gives them far more control over a guests day out etc. With everything else, I agree that merlin outlets are better than what was previously, apart from Burger Kitchen. Hopefully that'll improve with time.

Its a great interview, and some interesting responses.

I would like to thank the Chessington Buzz team for doing this.

Ian

Can I just say a big thank you on behalf of myself and the rest of the team for all your kind words about the interview and toward the team! It was our pleasure! :)

Sam said:
Chessington Buzz have posted an interview with Nick Varney!

One of the more positive answers...

Nick Varney interview said:
The SEALIFE Centre was the first addition the Merlin group made to the park, are there any plans to finish it off and add a facade to the tent? It doesn't look all that adventurous as it is.

Yes, we will add a permanent façade once we have completed some other priority projects.

So, it'll never have a facade then? ;)

As for Runaway, I've heard they've decided to take the theming off and then open it, a la Dragon Falls, but we'll have to see...

So Zufari cost about £6million? I heard £10-12million rumoured as the investment..

The fact that other Merlin parks (specifically Thorpe and AT) are having £18-20million large investments, and even AT have a medium investment year cost about £6million, shows how even now still there's quite a large gap between Chessie's investment and the other Merlin parks...

To be fair to Merlin Chessie is a tricky park as its planning restrictions are astronomical. That said if Zufari is a high level investment year then I'm worried as 2 million more spent on it could have made a mediocre ride amazing.

Dave said:
To be fair to Merlin Chessie is a tricky park as its planning restrictions are astronomical. That said if Zufari is a high level investment year then I'm worried as 2 million more spent on it could have made a mediocre ride amazing.

Absolutely Dave.

I thought this was a very political answer, it shows he doesn't view Chessie as we do, planning restrictions or not. Imagine Zufari on a high level investment year, and throwing 15 million at the thing? Maybe it costs more to maintain with regards to the animals etc - I'll never be convinced this decision was right though especially since the height restriction came to light.

The maintenance concerns me too.

Too many ifs buts and maybes about Zufari, Chessington as a whole, and indeed Nicks responses.

It is a shame that a Towers high investment year is £18 million whereas Chessie get £6 million. The difference is massive. Nick Varney says that since the SeaLife they have invested over £12 million into Chessie. Meanwhile Towers have had investment of over £39 million in the same time period. This is all in terms of new attractions. It would be interesting to know how significant the costs of infrastructure works that he talks about are, they could well be badly effecting Chessie's new attractions budget.

Although Nick does state that Chessie has the same investment cycles as all other Merlin parks, it is clear that the money invested is significantly less.

:)

While I agree that the parks needs more investments with a higher budget, I'm not quite sure Chessington brings in the same level of profit as the other parks. According to Wikipedia Chessington only brought in 1.4 million in 2010 compared to Alton Towers 2.8 million. That's a big difference. I think the lower level of investment is understandable, and Merlin does need to be cautious with Chessingtons budget. Chessington is in a recovering state right now, so don't expect anything mind-blowing in the next couple of years.