• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Christmas 2023

I think it would be worth them looking at an ice rink on the lawns, they are popular as an upcharge at many Christmas events and most rinks use artificial 'ice' that doesn't need constant freezing.

Do they need Lightipia though? Personally as nice as it was, I think Towers could do their own trail similar to what National Trust properties do.

And if the Towers were not full of Scarefest stuff they could put some stunning Christmas scenes in them, imagine the main hall with a giant Christmas tree and decorations.

A giant big wheel on the lawns, an ice skating rink, a few stalls for gifts, food and drink, and the usual ride openings.

It doesn’t have to be “mega” but just something interesting to draw people to visit. May be towers aren’t bothered about the theme park side this winter and are focusing more on guests staying in the hotels, but I agree that those who have attended previous years may expect something similar this year. That’s certainly the opinion from readying many questions being posted on Facebook groups asking about Xmas market and lightopia.

That’s certainly the opinion from readying many questions being posted on Facebook groups asking about Xmas market and lightopia.
Trouble is I think the market is one of those things people like the idea of visiting, but not really purchasing from. I don't think there is enough interest for the traders to make enough money to be worth setting up. Even many of the "German" Christmas markets now mainly focus on food and drink rather than stalls.

As has been said, the potential is massive.

I’ve never been on it but could Dungeons be repurposed to “Boat ride to the North Pole” or some equivalent?

If Hex, Curse, Dugeons and the 4D cinema was open it would make a massive difference. Chuck Project Horizon into the mix and all of a sudden TWODW becomes a must open.

It’s a shame there’s no coffee shop nearby in a repurposed building.

I understand not wanting to open curse due to needing to open up an entire side of the park but I’d love to see a Christmas overlay, same with Hex.

May not need a Christmas market but better food stalls should be a must. Or just better use the space they’ve got. (Family restaurant, corner coffee)

Also could the hospitality suite be used for an indoor ice rink? Christmas maze?

Also what about using the towers themselves as an indoor cinema for Christmas films? Chuck a projector screen up in the banquet hall and offer snacks etc. What a setting!

Reuse the stage and/or get a new indoor stage area.

As others have said, I don’t for one second think the park will be open 365 fully but definitely open in some form or another. A roof over the extraordinary golf (see Legoland) would be a start

As an aside, how many different ideas have people come up with in just the last couple of months that the Towers ruins could be used for (especially out of season), but the powers that be still insist on filling them full of CRAP all year round and rendering them useless for 11 months of every year. It's absolutely pathetic that they still leave that Scarefest stuff in there year upon year. It's the thing that at times actually makes me very VERY angry about Alton Towers.

As it’s already been mentioned an Ice rink is absolutely a no brainer. It would probably benefit them in the long run to purchase it rather than hire and fully push for the Christmas opening. Starting in November and keep it out till late February?

I also like the idea of a big wheel. Potentially buy a portable one for reuse and use it as and when? I know we’ve only just got rid of temporary rides but you see these at almost all Christmas markets. Imagine it at the end of towers street and looking over across the towers all lit up on white twinkly lights. Would be magical!

I think the problem is of 2 things

1) Families going to a Christmas event mainly go to them to visit Santa. If you want market stalls they will go to any city in the uk which is just the cost of getting there and you get to see lights and decorations.
2) In the past the pricing was the biggest problem with just the market been free and then you had to add on the rides and Lightopia.

Last edited:
Do they need Lightipia though? Personally as nice as it was, I think Towers could do their own trail similar to what National Trust properties do.

And if the Towers were not full of Scarefest stuff they could put some stunning Christmas scenes in them, imagine the main hall with a giant Christmas tree and decorations.

A giant big wheel on the lawns, an ice skating rink, a few stalls for gifts, food and drink, and the usual ride openings.

It doesn’t have to be “mega” but just something interesting to draw people to visit. May be towers aren’t bothered about the theme park side this winter and are focusing more on guests staying in the hotels, but I agree that those who have attended previous years may expect something similar this year. That’s certainly the opinion from readying many questions being posted on Facebook groups asking about Xmas market and lightopia.

I doubt they would be allowed a big wheel, even temporarily.

As for this years Xmas event I suspect it’s been scaled down for two reasons. Firstly lightopia going bump, and with a new management team there just wasn’t enough time to restructure the event. Secondly I suspect they knew they needed a closed season to sort of many of the reliability issues they had across 2023. It’s better that the tech team they have can focus on that then having to manage a load of open rides.

My opinion is still out on Bianca as she hasn’t had long enough for anyone to make one yet, but early indications are she is well aware of the fundamental issues the park has with 2 decades of neglect and I would not be surprised if that’s not her priority right now.

Having seen some vlogs of the event this year is seems a total waste of time and totally encapsulates the poor year Towers has had. Major changes are needed next year, if they do this again next Christmas just keep the park closed and spend some.money on a power washer and paint for the Smiler.

It’s totally understandable having Curse closed for the event this year as I expect it needs a bit of work doing after it’s first year.

I would like to see it open in future for this event though. The fact it’s set during New Year’s Eve, a part of the Christmas period, seems silly not utilising it.

It’s totally understandable having Curse closed for the event this year as I expect it needs a bit of work doing after it’s first year.

I would like to see it open in future for this event though. The fact it’s set during New Year’s Eve, a part of the Christmas period, seems silly not utilising it.

Could easily chuck some Christmas theming in there, even with a more family friendly overlay.

“The Christmas curse at Alton manor”

Assuming they don’t do much physical testing on the track, they could use half the ride vehicles and still have plenty of throughput and strip down the others

Seems early reviews are in, and as expected getting £23 for a park ticket for CBeebies an aquarium and Walliams with no Santa is a big ask.

It should have been hotel only.

Why they need a coffee van with multiple food outlets shut boggles my mind.

Considering where it was 2 years ago, years like this year erode consumer trust. I know others disagree, but Joe Public coming back would be shocked.

No stalls. No food. No bar. No lights. No
Show. Less rides. Less decorations. No Santa. Same price.

They don’t want your custom. Don’t bother, go to Drayton, or abroad

I've not watched the vlogs, as it was obviously going to be a lacklustre event that was pointless attending unless you have kids who will enjoy doing the Christmassy Santa stuff. The vloggers knew this, but still went anyway to vlog it, because it's just another video to put out. On the other hand, some people just love any excuse to get into the Alton Towers site as they just like being there, it's sort of their comfort blanket, even though they knew that the event offered them nothing in terms of fun. If those people were willing to hand over £23 to have the privilege of going in when it wasn't targeted at them, then I don't really blame Towers for taking their money off them.

Like I said last week. If you go to an event like this without checking what's on offer first, it's your own fault if you have a bad day. That's just my opinion.

Santa has always been hotel guests only. They struggle with enough capacity just for that. It was said in the Drayton Manor thread that there was long waits to see Santa even with those tickets being more restricted.

£23 does seem expensive compared to a ticket in main season, but it’s a similar price to Drayton Manor (Santa and the Wishmas train are both extra cost on top and are sold out) at £20-26.

I had a very quick wander around Towers yesterday, just to see what the event was like. Of course it is not aimed at me, but it just felt really poor. Sure there's plenty of Christmas trees on Towers Street and some lighting on/in the trees as you walk to Mutiny Bay but on the whole it was a complete non-event with no real atmosphere.

At least last year with the Christmas market it felt like something was going on; there was a bit of a buzz and some food and drink options. This year I saw one F&B stand, a small coffee place which was having the cheek to charge £4 for a flat white. Didn't appear that anyone was bothering with that.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that some of the gardens were open, but my god they are a state.

The event is obviously abit of a non-thing but from an entirely selfish point of view we had a great day on Saturday with many rides walk on which we would never see on a weekend (can't go midweek except holidays) during season. My daughter did 6 rides on Spinball and the longest she waited was 10 mins, because she actually had to wait for other riders before they could send her. Arrived on park at 11am and only left at 5pm due to the cold.

The only rides we usually do which were closed were Mine Train and Wickerman other than that it was a normal but much quieter day on park for us.

Just seen that the price ranges from £18-£23 for the christmas event. The cheapest 2024 day tickets are £35 so for the christmas event to be only £12 cheaper isn't great. For the lineup you get it shouldn't be any more than £15

Just seen that the price ranges from £18-£23 for the christmas event. The cheapest 2024 day tickets are £35 so for the christmas event to be only £12 cheaper isn't great. For the lineup you get it shouldn't be any more than £15
But you don't know how much it costs to staff and run the rides and shows that are available. A lower price would probably not cover costs. Don't forget in the main season there will be some guests who only visit CBeebies and simialar anyway but pay the normal price. There would also normally be guests like yourself who don't do any of the rides that are open for Christmas and only do the big coasters. So should you get a lower price during the normal season because you don't visit some of the park? I expect, as someone commented above, many people who are visiting with kids are enjoying the quieter park and the chance to get on more rides than normal as a family.

Also the price is comparable to Drayton Manor, who also have a very reduced selection of rides (but have a lot more entertainment) for £25-28 and Paulton Park where it is £37 (although Paulton have a lot of rides open). Both of those parks charge extra on top to see Santa. Chessington are charging £45 including a visit to Santa but probably one of the worst ride offerings.
So compared to other theme parks, the £23 price seems pretty fair really, under £20 would be cheap.
Yes it does seem expensive compared to main season, but for those with younger children they wouldn't always take advantage of the whole park anyway.

There would also normally be guests like yourself who don't do any of the rides that are open for Christmas and only do the big coasters. So should you get a lower price during the normal season because you don't visit some of the park?
Multi million pound machinery for just £35-£50 is a bargin in my opinion. The amount it costs to run and maintain the big 7 is likely astronomical. Gold pass was £129 so you only have to vist 4 times to get your moneys worth and I've been 15 times already so I'm getting the big coasters for dirt cheap

Multi million pound machinery for just £35-£50 is a bargin in my opinion. The amount it costs to run and maintain the big 7 is likely astronomical. Gold pass was £129 so you only have to vist 4 times to get your moneys worth and I've been 15 times already so I'm getting the big coasters for dirt cheap
The first time you used your Gold pass it cost you £129, every other visit after that was for no cost. You couldn't use your Gold pass for your second, third, fourth visit etc, until you'd purchased it and used it for your first visit. You're not getting the big coasters for dirt cheap, you're getting them for £129, whether you elect to visit more than once is up to you.

The Christmas event and the main season are apples and oranges. You can't go to the Christmas event in the main season, and you can't do the main season lineup during the Christmas event. Two different events, independent of each other, two difference prices. They don't have to correlate or refer to one another to deem worth, as they're mutually exclusive.

The Christmas event and the main season are apples and oranges. You can't go to the Christmas event in the main season, and you can't do the main season lineup during the Christmas event. Two different events, independent of each other, two difference prices. They don't have to correlate or refer to one another to deem worth, as they're mutually exclusive
Doesn't mean that Towers shouldn't charge based on the lineup available on the day. Yes families are getting cbeebies for cheaper than in the main season but I think the pricing for the main season is all wrong. How can a 3 year old be the same price as an adult who can ride everything. The prices should be height related like they do with wristbands at Fantasy island. So for example under 1m £20, 1m-1.2m £30 and above 1.2m £40 I think that would make more sense