• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coney Island - Return of the Thunderbolt?

BigAl

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Forbidden Journey
Screamscape have reported that there are rumours going around regarding the possible retutn of the Coney Island Thunderbolt, a classic wooden roller coaster deigned by John A. Miller which originally opened in 1925 and closed forever in 1982. It was sbno from then until it was finally demolished in 2000.

Here's what Screamscape have to say:
???? - Future Attraction / New Coaster - Rumor - (3/11/13) A very interesting rumor is starting to float around Luna Park these days. Word has it they have been getting a bit nostalgic for the old Thunderbolt wooden coaster that was closed in 1982 but left standing until being demolished as a safety hazard in late 2000. Could they be working on a plan to rebuild the Thunderbolt? From what I can tell from Google photos, the empty lot where Thunderbolt once sat is still sitting there empty and waiting. It would be great to see it returned to Coney Island once again if true.

Someone made a No Limits recreation of the ride on Youtube:
Coney Island Thunderbolt POV (NoLimits)

Thunderbolt's RCDB page

And finally a few photos from RCDB too...

9va39o0012mng565480cs0.jpg

jkkca800pq06jo0025df0a.jpg

lv20kokg01jo0d7g004bau.jpg

g6n04hsg39s0052ong5654.jpg

b39039s0012mng565484hu.jpg

2125hf0aca8g93u06jg00a.jpg

The land is still there to be used (with more to the East too).

So Screamscape were right, the Thunderbolt it making a comeback! There's a news website here with an article on the matter. The ride will be 125 feet tall and reach a top speed of 65 mph.

It's not going to be made from wood though. Tbh, it's nothing like the original. :/

11cityroom-tbolt1-blog480.jpg

The New York Times (where that image was taken) also has an article on the new ride here.

A Maurer with an elevator lift?! The reliability and throughput are guaranteed to be vile.

Alastair said:
A Maurer with an elevator lift?! The reliability and throughput are guaranteed to be vile.

I don't think it'll be a Maurer. The trains and lapbars look more like Premier.

10t8kb3e2g9707if6s005g.jpg

To be honest, now that the original's gone, there's little point in rebuilding it. Thunderbolt was very similar in both layout and appearance to the Cyclone. It makes much more sense to build a new type of coaster than a replica that's virtually indistinguishable from the much more famous coaster on the other side of the park. Thunderbolt was a good name so why not reuse it?

It'll probably be a Zamperla, as they own and operate the park

While everyone's moaning about it not being a recreation of the original, you all seemed to miss just how fun this thing looks.

Well I thought that too John after I spotted 'Zamperla' on the image from the NY1 article I posted a link to earlier. This is the pic:

ThunderboltNew4c31a0d8-9e75-45a4-bffb-b884a2608f38.jpg

I guess it not being like the original would be okay, but this new coaster looks dull regardless. Such a shame they couldn't put the name to better use.

That looks like a spectacularly screwed up ride, I can see this project ending in tears.

Also, don't call it 'Thunderbolt Reborn' if it literally bears no resemblance whatsoever to the original coaster.

Lift reminds me a lot of SuperSplash at Plopsaland, which also has a rotating vertical lift. :)

What happened to the cool twisting lift, it seems to have been replaced with a vertical one.

Screamscape said:
2014 - Thunderbolt - (2/10/14) Luna Park has finally shared the final layout of the new Thunderbolt coaster coming later this year. You can see the latest layout artwork posted to NewsPlusNotes. And yes, it will keep the vertical lift hill instead of trying the more unusual looking elevator platform lift.

Ge3MNWh.jpg

Two more photos at the above link.

The first half looks rubbish, but the bunny hops on the way back look fun, and at least make a vague nod towards the ride's namesake!

Also, I like how they've realistically and lovingly rendered the poverty of the surrounding area. :p

Not going to lie, that train design doesn't look great in ride comfort terms. Three rows back with no split joins between the seating, and only two sets of wheels on the very front and back. The original Eurofighter trains were dodgey enough with only two rows, let alone another!