• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Controversial Alton Towers Opinions

Other than Nemesis and Smiler the rollercoasters at AT are actually pretty rubbish on a global comparison. Even Wicker Man while good is just too small.

Not saying that the Busch Gardens style coaster through the carpark is necessarily better but Rita and Oblivion that are about 15 seconds long including the brake run. there's always a bit of "is that it" at the end...

Other than Nemesis and Smiler the rollercoasters at AT are actually pretty rubbish on a global comparison. Even Wicker Man while good is just too small.

Not saying that the Busch Gardens style coaster through the carpark is necessarily better but Rita and Oblivion that are about 15 seconds long including the brake run. there's always a bit of "is that it" at the end...
I don’t think that’s controversial I think most people will agree with this. Let’s be real Towers coaster lineup isn’t as good as Thorpe and that’s even before Hyperia

I don’t think that’s controversial I think most people will agree with this. Let’s be real Towers coaster lineup isn’t as good as Thorpe and that’s even before Hyperia
That's debatable tbf, although I guess down to preference! The Swarm I find incredibly boring, Saw is as rough as old nails, Colossus I find uncomfortable, and Nemesis Inferno is inferior to the OG imo.

That's debatable tbf, although I guess down to preference! The Swarm I find incredibly boring, Saw is as rough as old nails, Colossus I find uncomfortable, and Nemesis Inferno is inferior to the OG imo.
But all 4 rides you’ve just mentioned are better than Galactica Oblivion Th13teen Rita Spinball

Towers coaster line-up is perfectly balanced in my opinion, there’s something for everyone. Sure, there’s better dive coasters, flying coasters, spinning coasters, woodies etc out there, but as an overall package I think it works.

The lineup is well balanced but I think there are definitely a couple of coasters that are looking a bit tired and could benefit from eventually being replaced.

I’d swap Spinball Whizzer for a Storm Chaser style Mack spinning coaster in an instant and lose Rita for a multi launcher Intamin Blitz (or a Vekoma Shockwave even).

To get me into the mood for my upcoming wee trip to Towers tomorrow, I have one hot take to mention on here.

IMO, as poor Duel might be, its original theme tune was IMO possibly the most underrated theme (orignal one pre-botched overhaul) ever heard on the park and is up there with Black Hole amd Nemesis' themes and it should be reused for a future attraction down the line much like what we saw with Enterprise using Black Hole's theme.

To get me into the mood for my upcoming wee trip to Towers tomorrow, I have one hot take to mention on here.

IMO, as poor Duel might be, its original theme tune was IMO possibly the most underrated theme (orignal one pre-botched overhaul) ever heard on the park and is up there with Black Hole amd Nemesis' themes and it should be reused for a future attraction down the line much like what we saw with Enterprise using Black Hole's theme.
That's interesting. I am not a fan of the 2003 Duel music. I much prefer the 2018 version.

That's interesting. I am not a fan of the 2003 Duel music. I much prefer the 2018 version.
In terms of in a Haunted House setting, no its not right even though I have non enthusiast friends who like the tune but on its own out of context, its a song that could be used for say another dark ride of some description maybe.

I'm probably the only one that will agree with you on this. The original Outdoor theme for Duel was excellent. Far better than the one for the latter few years. The ride itself was always garbage, but walking into Gloomy Wood and hearing it was cool.

I LOVED Duel's theme. Even the music playing outside the ride around the coffin with the zombie in it was awesome as well

I'm probably the only one that will agree with you on this. The original Outdoor theme for Duel was excellent. Far better than the one for the latter few years. The ride itself was always garbage, but walking into Gloomy Wood and hearing it was cool.
But the chugga-chugga bit of the Duel theme would then get stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

Unpopular opinion: oblivion is in my top 2 (just behind nemesis). It gets a lot of unnecessary hate for being “a one trick pony”. But, isn’t that the whole point of a dive coaster? The drop IS the experience, the anticipation with the queue line videos, the music, the slow CLACK CLACK CLACK up the lift hill and the even slower turn around into the drop, the hang time over the edge looking into a misty hole of nothingness and then the drop itself…Any elements after it are unnecessary filler. Now I’m basing this off the fact I haven’t ridden another dive coaster other than Oblivion but I cannot see them having the same impact!

Yes, it may be the “shortest” ride on park but once you add in all those psychological factors I’ve raised above. It actually becomes one of the longest rides on site.

Unpopular opinion: oblivion is in my top 2 (just behind nemesis). It gets a lot of unnecessary hate for being “a one trick pony”. But, isn’t that the whole point of a dive coaster? The drop IS the experience, the anticipation with the queue line videos, the music, the slow CLACK CLACK CLACK up the lift hill and the even slower turn around into the drop, the hang time over the edge looking into a misty hole of nothingness and then the drop itself…Any elements after it are unnecessary filler. Now I’m basing this off the fact I haven’t ridden another dive coaster other than Oblivion but I cannot see them having the same impact!

Yes, it may be the “shortest” ride on park but once you add in all those psychological factors I’ve raised above. It actually becomes one of the longest rides on site.
It's easily better than: smiler, thirteen and rita.

This. There may be taller, longer and faster drop coasters in the world but I just feel like none of them can compare to Oblivion. I've only been on one other drop coaster other than Oblivion though. I'd most likely think otherwise if I've been on quite a few