• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters

Jb85

TS Member
Given the scale of the epidemic, this probably deserves its own thread.

Worldwide I think we will see this worsen throughout the year. I can Asia being worse hit. What are the effects of this at a human and economic level?

already fuel prices have dropped significantly!

Refer to SARS, bird flu, swine flu, zika and ebola for details.

COULD be globally very serious, probably won't be, worry about it if and when it is.

Only "usual" flu symptoms, but infectious for up to two weeks before showing signs of illness means this is going to be very difficult to contain.
Now wash your hands please.
Could clear out a very large slice of gammon.

Just in case you have not see the news in the last 2 months
4d3448197d8e5803bb4645f158e2f073.jpg

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Just in case you have not see the news in the last 2 months
4d3448197d8e5803bb4645f158e2f073.jpg

And this is where the approach will fall down. People are only being tested if they knowingly have had contact with someone at a high risk of carrying. With the apparent long incubation and contagious period that gives a huge scope for people to be picking it up with no idea they have done.

I'm a police officer, I can come in to contact with scores of people from all walks of life every day. I'm currently off work sick with a horrid flu like bug, temperature over 100, feeling rotten. Could I have it? Who knows!!

WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's interesting to see how the UK Copes. I noticed that they are now seeking anyone who attended a confrence for bus operators in London to enter quarantine. Could be quite bad by the end of the month.

And this is where the approach will fall down. People are only being tested if they knowingly have had contact with someone at a high risk of carrying. With the apparent long incubation and contagious period that gives a huge scope for people to be picking it up with no idea they have done.

I'm a police officer, I can come in to contact with scores of people from all walks of life every day. I'm currently off work sick with a horrid flu like bug, temperature over 100, feeling rotten. Could I have it? Who knows!!

Well you have two of the three symptoms considered for a confirmed diagnosis, the only one you don't have is viral pneumonia, yet.

I had viral pneumonia when I was a kid, it took me, an at the time perfectly healthy 12 year old, six months to recover from it, it makes the flu look like the common cold by comparison. Back then, before things like tamiflu were invented, the only treatment was the then just licensed ibuprofen. Fun times, not.

Face masks don't protect you anyway unless you use a special one (something95 its name is, it's a sealed one that covers the entire face) since the virus can be absorbed through the eyes.

FFP3 filtered masks are the right grade. Half masks should be used with eye protection ( googles are prefered).

call 111 if you are concerned about your symptoms.

you may also want to consider getting the seasonal flu vaccination in future winters to help prevent flu.

correlation does not equal causation

true but I am aware of several people this has happened to.

it seems that China is cooking the numbers somewhat on the rate this is spreading. To reclassify the way they analyse the number of people who have caught the virus seems bizarre to me. I get the impression this is a lot worse than they want us to know

I've been following this closely and it concerns me greatly. The figures coming out of China are not accurate in the slightest. People were locked inside their homes, so who knows how many more have died.

Fatality rate when looking at deaths vs recoveries for cases with an outcome is around 14% at the moment.

The speed at which China acted on this and the scale of the quarantine leads me to believe this came from the lab in Wuhan and China knew they had to stop it quick.

While number of new infections in China are dropping, don't forget most of the country is in lock down. Cases outside china continue to rise though the death rate is around 1%

To put that in context, flu is around 0.01% , Spanish flu was 2%. WHO are saying this could go either way at the moment and I totally agree with them.

Well in my last post I said this could go either way. Given the hike in infections around the world in the past 3 days, I think we are now at Pandemic stage. I think this virus will have a massive hit on tourism and travel in every country around the world very soon