• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
Strangely, Tesco’s have removed all there one way system down the aisles anyone else spotted changes in other stores?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My local pharmacy has given up on any form of PPE or face coverings. Even the 2m distancing between staff and customers appeared abandoned too.

Mildly terrifying.

I think people weren't really adhering to one way systems well anyway and the stores are quieter now so it is easier to keep distance. But maybe the smaller Express stores should keep one way systems where there isn't as much space within aisles to keep away from people.

Noooooooo......

Stores are not quieter now.... unless you go around 10pm when they shut at midnight. Easier to keep your distance? On Mars maybe..... I reckon I must be a people magnet because whenever I'm in a shop, people can have all the space they want but them seem to make a beeline for me..... like being sucked into the tractor beam on the Death Star.

Went into Tesco's in Conwy - yes, I know Wales are not on the same timescale as England - and the measures were still in place and it was busy. Very busy. Very few face masks as well yesterday in Wales.

I was also in an Asda on Monday in England and the one way system was in place.

Personally if any pharmacy are no longer wearing face masks and PPE, I don't know who you could contact, the council etc, but I would do so. I'm not sure that somewhere like a pharmacy can just dump the PPE and say "we're not bothering now".

I agree, a lot of people have never bothered with the one way system - I actually don't like having to down an aisle I don't need to visit, just because that's the way I've been told to go. I have abandoned it when it was safe to do so, if there is a group of people in the aisle the arrows tell me to go down, I will give it a miss and choose somewhere quieter.

If they remove the cleaning stations and the 2m markers then that's it. Back to "normal". I still don't know how supermarkets are deciding when too many people is enough, small independent places have people on the doors with a clicker, and a lot of shops tell you how many people their store can have inside.

Stores are not quieter now.... unless you go around 10pm when they shut at midnight. Easier to keep your distance? On Mars maybe..... I reckon I must be a people magnet because whenever I'm in a shop, people can have all the space they want but them seem to make a beeline for me..... like being sucked into the tractor beam on the Death Star.

Went into Tesco's in Conwy - yes, I know Wales are not on the same timescale as England - and the measures were still in place and it was busy. Very busy. Very few face masks as well yesterday in Wales.

I was also in an Asda on Monday in England and the one way system was in place.

in London I've not had to queue for a full size supermarket for the last few weeks, went into Asda on Monday and it was about the normal business for a Monday evening before Covid. The one way signage was up, but some aisles were empty of people and in others there was only 1 or 2 shoppers so was very easy to distance. Compared to late March where we queued for half an hour to enter the store, it was definitely quieter. So yes the one-way signage was in place, but while I was there it didn't feel needed.

I'm guessing this experiance will vary a lot across the country though and the day/time will make big differences.

Well we've only just started going into shops for the weekly shop, until until a couple of week ago it was online. Initially there were queues everywhere, like you said in March queuing to get inside was more common than now.

Two weeks back I went past a rather large Sainsbury's on a Saturday and there was a queue outside, which I was surprised to see, but it was a Saturday. I would imagine there are still a few times during the day, when it's possible depending on where the store is, you will still get queues is a lot of people all decide to shop at once. We have a small Co-op on our road and there is always a queue when we drive past.

It also might depend on the manager of each store, if they find it easier for the staff to still have less people inside, therefore more people wait outside, it could be to do with that.

I am surprised buy how different all the stores are. A Sainsbury's has each self-service checkout completely screened off, you're in your own perspex cubicle, but a few miles down the road, no screens, they just block off one checkout so you are not standing right next to someone.

Team Edit: For context, I've moved this post and a few replies to it to from the TPWW topic, as the discussion is more suited to this topic

*blows a trumpet and waves a flag*

Yes, I was impressed with what I saw as well. I quite enjoyed seeing areas of AT that you don't normally get to see - such as the extended Nemesis queue line.

I was unbelievably impressed with the one way system (more than is probably appropriate). I've been unfortunate enough to experience recently, in a lot of places where visitors are expected to use the same walkway but each side is clearly for one direction......and clearly they can't understand what one way means :banghead: .... I expected the route around the rapids to be halved in this way also, so for them to make the whole area one way, and open up a path by Wicker Man so people could walk in the opposite direction.... genius.

As someone who wears gloves when I go out (I don't buy into the theory they are useless, if you treat your gloves as "contaminated" don't touch anything on your person, and remove them immediately when you're done shopping etc, it means you're hands themselves are perfectly clean) I'm still not sure even with all the hand sanitisers and the cleaning if I would go and touch multiple things and hope the hand gels do their stuff. But that's me personally, the actual system they have at AT seems more than adequate.

I also thought the chevrons in the ride queues allowing people to not just be two metres apart when you're standing behind someone, but also stand opposite the person in the queue line next to you was quite clever, and I've not seen that anywhere before.

Blackpool was the one I was most unsure about, but after viewing his footage both me and my brother are planning on visiting in the next few weeks, and finally getting to ride Icon! Liked what I saw regarding the social distancing, lots of hand sanitisers again. If I can make it through a four floor Primark in the centre of Liverpool then Blackpool Pleasure Beach is no problem. :sunglasses:

I think from our point of view, Blackpool has a lot more rides open and also a greater variety. It seemed everyone in AT was going for the big rides and therefore queue times were pretty bad. Blackpool I'm hoping because they offer a lot more, will spread out the people more as well.

The videos were definitely informative, was not as long as I expected - but then again it didn't need to be, I saw everything I needed, expect maybe a bit more information about the food available and also perhaps the toilet situation.

But overall, I found out what I wanted, and as such our original plan of going to AT has now changed to Blackpool because of what we saw.

(And I really want to try Icon)

I did try to and watch other videos while I waited for Shawn to upload his from Blackpool - dear God, they were so amateur. I don't need to see someone walking halfway through the town centre or hear about your life story before you enter the park. Show me the social distancing, show me the queues, thank you.

(although one person did mention how they send you an email for Blackpool and you have to fill in a form with the details of everyone who is visiting and also they need photographs of those people)

Not exactly the topic but you think gloves are a good idea? Why do you think latex is more impervious than your skin?

Last edited by a moderator:
Easier to keep your distance? On Mars maybe..... I reckon I must be a people magnet because whenever I'm in a shop, people can have all the space they want but them seem to make a beeline for me..... like being sucked into the tractor beam on the Death Star.

Jess and I know exactly what you are saying. I've said this many times on here, I can guarantee, Jess and I would be on the widest path and tucked our of the way, but people always manage to encroach on our space. We been social distancing for many years due to Jess' medical condition let alone Covid-19.

We are both yet to venture out of our home since we been shielding, just looking out of our window today, we live down a quiet road, plenty of space, not many people out, but seeing our neighbours speaking to non residence with no social distancing what so ever. I'm so glad that we are staying here safe and well, hope to venture out once all this is over. At the moment, we are in no hurry.

I've also discovered that my daughter has done a tandem skydive today :eek: I've got no idea how they manage to do that with the social distancing measures in place :confused:

Not exactly the topic but you think gloves are a good idea? Why do you think latex is more impervious than your skin?

I think when you are using gloves that are specifically meant to be a barrier against fluid, grease, food stuffs etc and are being used by people in the medical industry I have to presume that nothing bacterial could somehow penetrate. If you use them properly.

I've used latex gloves for years for various cleaning jobs, I've never had an issue with anything getting under the gloves. (I know that's different to a virus but still)

The only negative I have heard is that people will think they are "protected" and think they're gloves are clean.

No. Only stupid people think somehow wearing gloves means your gloved hands are "clean".

When I touch stuff outside in a shop etc, that's it. My gloved hands touch nothing else, not my face, my bag, not even my hair. That's it then, until I take the gloves off. Quick go over with hand sanitiser (to remove the powder) and I'm, done.

You see many people leaving shops without having cleaned their hands, open car doors, get in the car, touch their keys and drive away. All that touching will have happened to gloves, which I remove (inside out) and throw away.

I think when you are using gloves that are specifically meant to be a barrier against fluid, grease, food stuffs etc and are being used by people in the medical industry I have to presume that nothing bacterial could somehow penetrate. If you use them properly.

I've used latex gloves for years for various cleaning jobs, I've never had an issue with anything getting under the gloves. (I know that's different to a virus but still)

The only negative I have heard is that people will think they are "protected" and think they're gloves are clean.

No. Only stupid people think somehow wearing gloves means your gloved hands are "clean".

When I touch stuff outside in a shop etc, that's it. My gloved hands touch nothing else, not my face, my bag, not even my hair. That's it then, until I take the gloves off. Quick go over with hand sanitiser (to remove the powder) and I'm, done.

You see many people leaving shops without having cleaned their hands, open car doors, get in the car, touch their keys and drive away. All that touching will have happened to gloves, which I remove (inside out) and throw away.

I work in a hospital. Gloves stop things reaching your skin. So that’s good for things you can catch through cuts and sores on your skin (not a whole lot to be fair, the skin is pretty robust). The main reason for hospital staff wearing gloves is usually to protect the patient as we often deliberately break the skin (injections etc).

Coronavirus has to get to your face, virus’s need to attack specific cells and this one likes the ones in your respiratory tract, there is no route from a cut in your finger to your lungs. If you wear gloves you are not washing your hands. Coronavirus loves sitting on surfaces and your gloves are a surface. I guarantee you will think you are not touching your face with your gloves but you will be, we can’t help it.

Soap kills coronavirus, 70% alcohol does also, sanitise your hands, gloves just make your hands sweaty and a breeding ground for other infections.

anyway this is waaaaaay off topic.

Personally if any pharmacy are no longer wearing face masks and PPE, I don't know who you could contact, the council etc, but I would do so. I'm not sure that somewhere like a pharmacy can just dump the PPE and say "we're not bothering now".
Not quite sure why a pharmacy would have a need to wear PPE beyond any other essential shop? Certainly none of the pharmacies around me have had their staff wearing masks, just the usual precautions of perspex screens and limited numbers in shops...

Not quite sure why a pharmacy would have a need to wear PPE beyond any other essential shop? Certainly none of the pharmacies around me have had their staff wearing masks, just the usual precautions of perspex screens and limited numbers in shops...

As is usual with covid, Public Health England have said one thing (masks not needed) and a pharmacy body has said something else (masks should be worn).

In the specific case of my pharmacy, they can't maintain 2m separation and will spend most of their time within a metre of each other. It's alarming to me, due to them being part of the healthcare system, and seemingly willfully ignoring guidance and not setting the example.

Thankfully I have another pharmacist down the road where all the staff do wear appropriate attire.

I guarantee you will think you are not touching your face with your gloves but you will be, we can’t help it.

No, I can 100% tell you right now, that is not happening with me.

In a normal world, germs are a problem for me, I probably do more to prevent myself getting a cold than the average person. So my protocols, while extreme to some, is what makes me feel better about all this.

If I just went around touching multiple items, then simply used hand gel, before eating a pack of crisps, to me I wouldn't feel safe. I know hand gels must be the right thing to use, although initially it seemed it was only soap and water that we were being told that worked, maybe to encourage general hand washing (which I hope will continue). As I said, I have issues anyway.

If you imagine a human doing an impression of a penguin, that's me. As soon as my gloved hands touch something that isn't in my house, or I haven't had the chance to wash or quarantine it for several days, my hands don't even come near my body, if they do, that item of clothing goes straight into the wash, or I remove it if I can, or I sit very awkwardly all the way home and don't touch that area.

If I get hair in my face that I can't brush away using a clean part of my body, such as my arm, then I either put up with it, or get someone else to do it for me. If my glasses slip down my nose, if I can't move them back up without using my hands, the same thing happens. When I'm out shopping, only one of us touches things, so someone always has clean hands.

I'm that paranoid about even my clothes touching a surface that may have COVID-19 on it, I've actually stopped wearing flappy clothing so as I bend down into a trolley for example, not even my clothing touches the outside. I'm aware the risk for this is small, but it's what I'm doing.

I am 100% happy to admit all this is overly cautious, and I wouldn't recommend it at all for most people, but most people aren't me.

My hands can transmit COVID-19 just like gloves. When I've touched all the items, put them in my bags, the gloves come off. Bacterial wipe used, then gel, as I said mainly to remove the powder. At home, I unpack everything, remove all the packaging (someone else takes out the clean contents from the packaging), wash items, or put them away somewhere for five days (more than the 72 hours I know). After I'm done outside (because these things don't even come into the house), I then wash my hands thoroughly after someone else has put the taps on and dispensed the soap for me.

This has happened all the way through lockdown regarding items from a supermarket, and going out more means this continues but now there is more stuff being brought into the house that I either can't wash or to be quite honest don't want the hassle of washing. So we're moving towards quarantining things now, which to be honest I never would have imagined happening in April, so maybe one day soon - and I've already spoken about this in regards visiting Blackpool Pleasure Beach - I will stop using the gloves and trust the hand gels do what they're obviously doing for everyone else.

Mum definitely thinks I'm over the top and that's fine. There have been argument over it, and quite frankly tears. There has been very little I've had control over regarding this, so this makes me feel like I'm doing something, and it's not for the fun of it - I'd like to go back to a world where I'm bothered hearing someone coughing because I could catch a cold - but to keep me and my family as safe as we can.

As I said, I do have issues normally, so waking up one day to find myself in what turned into a pandemic..... I either could sit around all day and cry or I make the best of it. I am actually surprise I took the latter route because of previous "pandemics" (that never actually materialised) and how they affected me.

So I understand what you're saying, and you are in more of a position to comment regarding gloves and their uses etc, but just as no doubt people have been using hand gels for weeks and are perfectly fine, we've been using gloves and our measures have been working out fine as well.

As I said, I can see that probably changing, It would be nice to be able to pick things up and not wear gloves and also to not be contributing to what will mostly likely be an environmental disaster with all the gloves and masks etc that have been used.

@RoyJess - That is exactly it! You could be on a deserted path on an island with only you and four others and those four other would find you. It's absolutely true! We were at Warwick Castle for the gardens, and there was this huge path, two women were ahead of us by about 8 metres walking in the middle of the path. We decided (with eight metres between us) to walk alongside the path on the grass. As we got nearer to the women (we were walking faster then they were), they suddenly started to turn and the next minute, they were right there cutting in front of us. We had stayed on a straight course, and they moved from the middle of the path to walk right by us. To be fair, they were going downhill at this point, I did argue maybe gravity took its toll..... o_O

They look so handy. Normally to open doors (pre-COVID-19) I'd use a tissue to touch the handle if I was leaving the loo as I don't trust most people to wash their hands. Might have to look into getting some of those.