• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
Imagine driving from the UK to the Netherlands. How many tests would you need then!?
Funny you say that, I know someone doing that trip right now, and heading onto America for a short stay afterwards. I think they only have to test once, but outside of 72 hours they probably need multiple tests.

I think it's worth remembering that the UK has one of the most relaxed travel restrictions at the moment. As I said before I've just come back from Korea. On the way out I needed a full PCR test 72 hours before my flight and multiple tests on arrival. I also had to apply for a quarantine exemption or isolate for 14 days. To return to the UK I didn't even need a test to fly (as I had proof of a double vacine) and just needed a simple Antigen (now PCR) test after arriving.
My colleagues from other countries weren't nearly as lucky. Unavoidable 2 weeks quarantine for those returning to other Asian countries. Even America, although known to be lax within their own boarders, required a full PCR test before traveling and an interview at the airport to check for possible symptoms. So glad I wasn't in the Delta queue, it was long!
That's why I find it ironic hearing people in the UK moan about "their rights". Compared to nearly every other country Britain has been letting us make our own choices, and almost feels like business as usual.

Just changed my vote to tested positive. A routine LFT yesterday for work showed up as positive (we do them daily) so was quite a surprise, and had a PCR to confirm. 10 days isolation from today... time to see what's on Netflix!

A woman at work has recently had covid, double vaccinated, it knocked her right out. She is very fit, recently done unsavoury things like running up mountains, she now needs a nap after the school run. Still amazes me what the virus can do to fit relatively young people.

In a building of hundreds doesn't seem she passed it on to anyone here with no other cases recorded, so we must be doing something right restriction wise.

That is very good news if true and also fairly logical too as the more a virus mutates the weaker it's supposed to become.

Let's hope we are over the worst of it now. Certainly seems we are.

That is very good news if true and also fairly logical too as the more a virus mutates the weaker it's supposed to become.
I've heard people say this but there's no reason why that has to be the case. A virus will only evolve if there's an evolutionary pressure to do so. A strain has to be able to compete and win against other strains, survival of the fittest. For example, if a virus makes people so sick that they stop going outside when they're infectious then a mutation that makes people less sick would have an evolutionary advantage because people would go outside and spread it more. With Coronavirus, people already spread it before the onset of symptoms so there's little pressure for it to change.

For Omicron, it seems like the mutation is more contagious and so that has an evolutionary advantage over other strains. There's nothing that says it would need to cause less severe disease. That said, the anecdotal evidence does seem to suggest milder disease with Omicron but on the downside, higher infection rate and possible avoidance of some immunity from vaccines. If the strain causes 50% less serious disease but is more than twice as infectious as Delta then it still has the potential to overrun hospitals.

Ultimately it's still a waiting game.

Last edited:
Apparently Boris found Plan B hiding down the back of the cupboard. Announcement later today.

Whether the box was marked "Open this in case of scandal" is unconfirmed.

The Christmas party nonsense shows the complete contempt this current government has.

Apparently Boris found Plan B hiding down the back of the cupboard. Announcement later today.

Whether the box was marked "Open this in case of scandal" is unconfirmed.

The Christmas party nonsense shows the complete contempt this current government has.

The idea of the government bringing in such a controversial, illiberal and divisive policy as vaccine passports as a way to distract from their own scandal would be too stupid to be real - except that’s what we’re seeing in real time.

Bring on the vaccine passports.

Over 80% of the population shouldn’t be expected to continue to put their lives on hold because a minority largely fell victim to misinformation around vaccine messaging and effectiveness.

Unless you’re a virologist, I *literally* don’t care what you think you know about the vaccines available or what youtube channel told you that. If you make a choice not to be vaccinated, then own up to it and own the consequences of that choice.

Misinformation is literally killing people

Just found out I've got the Covid.

Double vaxxed so hopefully won't be too badly affected, if this Omicron varient is less severe lets hope it will become the dominant strain.

I got a taster of vaccine passports, which don't do anything to stop the spread, when in Germany and Greece and all it did was cause problems and faff. Many of the staff were very apologetic and against the rules.

If they arrive over here I expect many people who are pro vaccine passports won't be quite as enthusiastic as we enter 2022.

As for the Downing Street party, is anybody really surprised? I've said for a long time they're all laughing at us. Doesn't take a genius to work out why additional restrictions are reportedly being imposed today.

I recently used the vaccine passport system in France and it was very straight forward and didn’t really cause any issues. Just a case of showing your phone on entry to restaurants/bars/Christmas markets etc with a quick scan of the QR code.

If a similar system was introduced here with the aim of keeping the numbers down it wouldn’t bother me personally.

I recently used the vaccine passport system in France and it was very straight forward and didn’t really cause any issues. Just a case of showing your phone on entry to restaurants/bars/Christmas markets etc with a quick scan of the QR code.

If a similar system was introduced here with the aim of keeping the numbers down it wouldn’t bother me personally.
I do agree and it would be fairly easy to implement in most places but I don't think it'll happen here. For similar reasons to the fact that we don't have ID cards in this country. I think people seem to think that it infringes on there freedom and punishes them.
I'm aware of how easy it would be to implement though. Staff at restaurants and pubs could literally just use there own phone to 'zap' other people's QR codes at no extra cost to the companies.

Vaccine passports are pointless. You can still spread Covid even you're vaccinated, so why bother with them?

Just extra faff for no reason other than to distract from the government having lockdown parties.