• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
When I was in Beijing I remember seeing people wearing face masks but like speedy said it wasn't too common. I think I just passed more people on my trip to the shops wearing masks than I did on a walk in China. But of course I'm sure now there's an actual pandemic more masks are being worn over there too.

The government has now released a five-step plan for local lockdowns. It is as follows:
  • Monitoring: Public Health England (PHE) will work with the joint biosecurity sector by looking at data of the spread of coronavirus and people's behaviour across the country. They will look for emerging trends, rising cases and other indicators, while taking into account local factors.
  • Engagement: If monitoring identifies local problems, NHS Test and Trace and PHE will work with the relevant local authority to develop a deeper understanding of the problem and identify solutions. They will work with local agencies to keep the local community informed at every stage so they know what they need to do.
  • Testing: Testing at a local level will then be scaled-up, combined with contract tracing through NHS Test and Trace to try to control the virus at that stage.
  • Targeted restrictions: If the virus continues to spread, activities at particular locations will be restricted and individual premises will be closed. Hotspots will have access restricted, with people who have spent time there tested and contact tracing carried out for anyone who tests positive.
  • Local lockdown: If the previous measures do not stop the spread, local lockdowns will be extended across whole communities, with businesses and schools shut down as people are urged to stay at home.

The government has now released a five-step plan for local lockdowns. It is as follows:
  • Monitoring: Public Health England (PHE) will work with the joint biosecurity sector by looking at data of the spread of coronavirus and people's behaviour across the country. They will look for emerging trends, rising cases and other indicators, while taking into account local factors.
  • Engagement: If monitoring identifies local problems, NHS Test and Trace and PHE will work with the relevant local authority to develop a deeper understanding of the problem and identify solutions. They will work with local agencies to keep the local community informed at every stage so they know what they need to do.
  • Testing: Testing at a local level will then be scaled-up, combined with contract tracing through NHS Test and Trace to try to control the virus at that stage.
  • Targeted restrictions: If the virus continues to spread, activities at particular locations will be restricted and individual premises will be closed. Hotspots will have access restricted, with people who have spent time there tested and contact tracing carried out for anyone who tests positive.
  • Local lockdown: If the previous measures do not stop the spread, local lockdowns will be extended across whole communities, with businesses and schools shut down as people are urged to stay at home.
Interesting that Leicester presumably jumped straight from stage one to five, before two to four were properly thought out.

Interesting that Leicester presumably jumped straight from stage one to five, before two to four were properly thought out.

Kind of. Aspects of two to four did happen, increased testing for example. But clearly Leicester has been a bit of a guinea pig for how a local lockdown might develop, and I have a feeling that the Government were not expecting a local lockdown to come like this quite as soon as it has.

The legislation for Leicester is now on the statute books. It will come into force tomorrow.

A ban on social gatherings, overnight stays, and the reopening of hotels, pubs and restaurants are all included in the new legislation.

People in Leicester who live on their own, or single parents, can still form a social bubble with one other household, the legislation says.

Public gatherings are now banned and people in the restricted area can no longer visit people in private gardens or indoors.

Isn’t it also tomorrow that the legislation regarding social distancing becomes merely guidance?

Isn’t it also tomorrow that the legislation regarding social distancing becomes merely guidance?
It was always guidance, in England at least. So there were no powers to enforce it.
Though as far as work places go employers have an obligation under existing h&s regulations to ensure employees are safe in workplace so this would involve trying to ensure that social distancing measures could be implemented to ensure this

edit.. Despite the best efforts to implement such policies in the workplace, people simply gravitate towards one and another. It’s pretty much impossible to stop people being people.

So pubs have reopened.
Here in sunny Tamworth, there are mass fights and brawls all over the town centre. Police having bottles and other things thrown at them.

Lost for words. Anyone would think the pubs have been close for months. Opening pubs on a Saturday was not the cleverest decision. I suspect the story is similar across the country.

Although, had they opened pubs mid week. I suspect we would see similar things. People going out and getting stupidly drunk.

As for social distancing. What social distancing. When people are engaged in mass brawls, that all goes out the window.

So pubs have reopened.
Here in sunny Tamworth, there are mass fights and brawls all over the town centre. Police having bottles and other things thrown at them.

I think boris should closes the pubs for 2 weeks. And tell everyone to stop being bottoms

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

So pubs have reopened.

Lost for words. Anyone would think the pubs have been close for months. Opening pubs on a Saturday was not the cleverest decision. I suspect the story is similar across the country.

Although, had they opened pubs mid week. I suspect we would see similar things. People going out and getting stupidly drunk.
One of the pubs where I live in Mansfield have announced on Facebook they are closed until further notice due to irresponsible behaviour today (mass drunken fighting, etc).

I’m in London today. Some places are quiet. Some are busy. Generally a good atmosphere all round. Most people respecting the guidance here from what I’ve seen. I have been to a few establishments today and no issues at all.

Good to hear that places have been successful. But I suspect the issues in this town right now are not isolated to this town.

I think above all. It highlights the state of the drinking culture in this country. As soon as people are let back out, they go 110% and we end up with situations like this. Bulls in china shops.

I've criticised this goverment and the handling of this virus quite alot. But, given the drinking culture in this country, there was never going to be an easy way out. This is almost inevitable. But agrivated by a Saturday opening.

One of the pubs where I live in Mansfield have announced on Facebook they are closed until further notice due to irresponsible behaviour today (mass drunken fighting, etc).
At least the pub manager has sense to put their foot down and say no, it not acceptable.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

I've criticised this goverment and the handling of this virus quite alot. But, given the drinking culture in this country, there was never going to be an easy way out. This is almost inevitable. But agrivated by a Saturday opening.

Was surprised is was a Saturday. A mid week day probably would of been much more preferable

hopefully the idiots don’t ruin it for the rest of us who can enjoy our day out and a few beers and not turn in to total morons.

I’m quite lucky where I live When the pub reopens it will be full of elderly people playing crib. I guess it’s one of the perks of living in a village I guess.