• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
Meat deliveries at work (very large supermarket) didn't turn up today. Apparently still stuck on a lorry in a queue somewhere (probably France, I dunno). Will probably be some more disruptions to deliveries over the next few weeks now that this backlog will cause another backlog. Fun times.

Unlikely a meat delivery to a supermarket was coming from or through France, nearly all fresh meat is from the UK or Ireland so more likely held up in Ireland.
Most (something like 80%) of the lorries coming into the UK from mainland Europe are just the trailer so whilst you might see the odd empty shelf there won’t be food shortages.

The real issue is getting the European drivers home for Christmas, I’ve spent all day trying to get a work colleague home to Denmark, hopefully by now he’s on a plane home.

Things are certainly taking a downward spiral now. Just looking at the data week-on-week in many areas shows the problem - we're seeing rates in many areas now that we haven't seen yet at all (may have been higher in April peak).

If this continues, I can regrettably see school closures and a full lockdown again in January...

Our Christmas Day service at church has been cancelled, and will be held via Zoom instead. It's disappointing, but somewhat expected. And yet the case numbers in Cheshire East still seem to be falling, which is really going against the national trend! When I found out yesterday about the cancellation, it didn't take me long to think that we need to prepare for churches to be closed in January, and this is a concern shared by a number of people. It's something we need to be realistic about, even with the vaccine being distributed.

Things are certainly taking a downward spiral now. Just looking at the data week-on-week in many areas shows the problem - we're seeing rates in many areas now that we haven't seen yet at all (may have been higher in April peak).

If this continues, I can regrettably see school closures and a full lockdown again in January...

Unfortunately, a full lockdown seems inevitable, especially as in today's press conference Vallance pretty much confirmed it.

I disagree that “whoever was in power is irrelevant” despite not having the same data as the government pretty much all the opposition parties have called for an action that the gov then refuse, only to come to the same conclusion but weeks later.

No government could have got this perfect, but we could be in a far better position with competent leadership.

And if it was the opposition in power it would be the same situation. That’s government and politics.
Let’s just be thankful it’s not Corbyn leading the country!!

Unfortunately, a full lockdown seems inevitable, especially as in today's press conference Vallance pretty much confirmed it.

Why? My area in Staffordshire still has very low rates, as long as people do as they are told and don’t travel out of Tier 4 areas there is no reason for a national lockdown.

Let’s just be thankful it’s not Corbyn leading the country!!

notcorbyn2.jpg

Why? My area in Staffordshire still has very low rates, as long as people do as they are told and don’t travel out of Tier 4 areas there is no reason for a national lockdown.

Staffordshire on the whole doesn't have low rates. I live in Rugeley. "Low" would be sub 50 per 100k. There might be very small areas with low rates, but you can't have a situation with one street's pubs open and the next shut.

And why do people feel the need to mention Corbyn!? I mean, I have no idea how he would have handled it but Boris' lies and chaos is hardly an endorsement either.

Johnson lied during the press conference tonight about the number of trucks, for one.

As well as London and the South East, this new strain can be found in all four nations. People have been mingling for weeks so it seems inevitable this has been spreading in the community already and that will only accelerate due to the increased reproductive rate of this strain.

Also... did you see the footage of people leaving London before the restrictions came into effect? It will probably be seeded in every county by now.

Out of interest, what did Patrick Vallance say regarding lockdown earlier, as I didn’t see the press conference?

On a more positive note, the WHO has put a surprisingly positive spin on our new strain, saying that its discovery reflects well on our test and trace system and that it isn’t a major worry: https://apple.news/A7xtsAE2jRj6GYb4ldKEvqA

Out of interest, what did Patrick Vallance say regarding lockdown earlier, as I didn’t see the press conference?

On a more positive note, the WHO has put a surprisingly positive spin on our new strain, saying that its discovery reflects well on our test and trace system and that it isn’t a major worry: https://apple.news/A7xtsAE2jRj6GYb4ldKEvqA

It does reflect well on our genome sequencing, which is well regarded internationally. But it's not positive that there is a new strain.

Staffordshire on the whole doesn't have low rates. I live in Rugeley. "Low" would be sub 50 per 100k. There might be very small areas with low rates, but you can't have a situation with one street's pubs open and the next shut.

You mean like on the Welsh border for half of the year?Pubs open one side of the road and not the other.

I’m in a rural area on the Staffordshire/ Derbyshire Dales border, lowest rates in the midlands. I’d call 4 cases in 7 days over a 50 square mile area low rates, that’s basically 1 household, how exactly will a lockdown bring our cases down?
What we need is people not to travel here to go for a jolly in the Peak District, but neither lockdown has yet prevented that.

You mean like on the Welsh border for half of the year?Pubs open one side of the road and not the other.

Llanymynech where the border goes right down the centre of the road.

The Bradford arm on the English side of the road. And the dolphin on the welsh side of the road.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Mine was similar, 4 cases per 100,000 and it was thrown into tier 3...then tier 4 a day later. I don't want another lockdown, but it seems it's only headed in that direction.

Mine was similar, 4 cases per 100,000 and it was thrown into tier 3...then tier 4 a day later. I don't want another lockdown, but it seems it's only headed in that direction.
Not convinced that number is accurate? The lowest levels places were seeing over summer I'm sure were in the region of 20-30 per 100,000, so doesn't seem right that you're now seeing a grand total of 4...

People like you, who think you have a right to vote with a free mind...whatever next...democracy???

Hahahahaha

Free mind might be going a bit far. Doing what the Mail and Sun have brainwashed them to do is more apt.

Corbyn runs rings around Boris on nearly everything. You only have to look at their track record of voting throughout the years as MP's.

The problem is our mainstream media painted Corbyn as a terrorist because the rich don't want to have to cough up any more money. There isn't any more to it than that.

Anyone who thinks Boris is a better human being or even Politician than Corbyn is delusional and has been brainwashed. That's not to say Corbyn is perfect either. He most certainly isn't. However its not even a contest between him and the cartoon character currently living at number 10.

Not convinced that number is accurate? The lowest levels places were seeing over summer I'm sure were in the region of 20-30 per 100,000, so doesn't seem right that you're now seeing a grand total of 4...
I would suspect it comes down to how detailed your area is. I can get down to near housing estate levels on some, which indicates barely 10 houses in half the town have tested positive, and yet we're in Tier 4.

There are areas that have been placed in Tier 4 that have lower per 100,000 rates than other areas of the country that are in Tier 3.