• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Disney Buys Lucasfilm (Inc STARWARS!)

TheMan

TS Member
Favourite Ride
NemiLerVion
Walt Disney Co, has announced it is set to buy Lucasfilm Ltd, including the Star Wars franchise for $4Billion. That is an astonishing amount of money, and most probably worth every penny and more.

Disney Chief Robert Iger had this to say:

The deal "combines a world-class portfolio of content including Star Wars, one of the greatest family entertainment franchises of all time, with Disney's unique and unparalleled creativity"

With Star Wars 7 set to be released apparently in 2015 and "with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future" - Disney statement - I think it is safe to say, it will not be too long before we see the franchise appear in multiple Disney parks across the world.

Now, I am not admittedly the biggest Star Wars fan (though I love Pod Racing ;D) - but to me, this is a phenomenal purchase for Disney, and if they can bring their obvious quality in ride/park theming, I can foresee Star Wars sections before too long, akin to Harry Potter Land.

I think Disney needed this in their portfolio you know, and it might well allow them to develop and open up to an even wider market than they appeal to already.

I'm not suggesting it is the best way forward for Lucasfilm, or indeed Star Wars, but it is big entertainment news related to our corner of the world, none the less!

Here is the fuller article, from Finance news of Nine News Australia:

Disney Buys Lucasfilm

So, LucasFilms and Disney, a pretty limitless budget, with the best film/animatronics studios, and access to the finest ride designers. For me, this is the single most exciting potential development for Theme Parks in years!

Fantastic news, not just for theme parks but for cinema everywhere.

Dead chuffed about this, and I agree that Potter-land could have rivalry. Disney would be stupid to build Avatar land and not make any use of this. :)

It is arguably big enough for a park of its own, but it would make sense to whack this in a big park. I have mixed feelings on it in terms of the films and what happens to the style of film/development - but having it incorporated into a large beautifully themed park??

BRING IT ON!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! There can't be a Star Wars 7, it'll just be so bad. So very bad. The last three films almost killed the franchise, but this will be the end. I can just imagine how much it'll fail, with the story being either a sequel to the first six (after peace was, supposedly, restored) or a prequel- which is just a completely idiotic idea.

However, the theme park idea sounds fantastic. Imagine an Intamin accelerator for pod races, or how about the X-wing fighters attacking the Death Star. So much more to do with this than other franchises that have been made, such as the Harry Potter one at IOA, which have been fairly lacklustre and uninteresting. I mean, the Harry Potter one has just re-themed a coaster, built a dark ride and a castle with some shops. There's so much more potential with this.

Didn't they always plan to do three sequels as well as the prequels?

Either way,
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

They can do what they like with the films -

Nick said:
However, the theme park idea sounds fantastic. Imagine an Intamin accelerator for pod races, or how about the X-wing fighters attacking the Death Star. So much more to do with this than other franchises that have been made, such as the Harry Potter one at IOA, which have been fairly lacklustre and uninteresting. I mean, the Harry Potter one has just re-themed a coaster, built a dark ride and a castle with some shops. There's so much more potential with this.

I meant that!

Duelling Intamin Accelerators ha!! Near misses, they could develop some phenomenal rides on this theme!!

Gotta say though, not entirely pleased this is in Box office,as it suggests the topic was gearing towards the films - I wished the discussion to be about how it will affect the Disney Parks and what we can expect from it. Can I request it is moved back, and a separate discussion for the films in here if people want it?

Ta :)

EDIT: Thank you James (below)

To confirm - film discussion is likely due to it's relevance, but my OP is about the brilliant potentials this offers for Disney Parks/future parks, ride development etc and a chance to let our imaginations go mad for a bit! I'm not a StarWars "fan" but the potential in rides here is HUGE!

As requested, topic moved back to 'All Other Parks and Attractions' forum.

If we could keep this based around discussion as described by TheMan in the above post then please. If you wish to discuss the films then feel free to make a separate topic in Box Office. Thanks. :)

With such a MASSIVE extended universe, it's a bit silly not to expect them to make more films. They could make films out of the really early Star Wars universe, before the republic and the like. </slightgeek>

If they put something Star Wars related in the parks then I think I'd probabaly have to make a visit! :p

That's the reason Dar, that imagineers could absolutely bat-crap crazy in ride development with this!!

Think about this folks...two of the biggest entertainment brands on the planet, an unbelievable budget, and your studio/set/animatronics departments that are possibly the best in the world.

Oh my word, what would I give to be in charge of that project!!

This WILL happen, and if they fully realise it's potential, it should be the biggest single project we have ever known.

This could be a game changer folks!

What would you build? Pod racing all the way for me as mentioned earlier.

But don't Disney already have the Theme Park rights to any Lucasfilms going back to when Star Tours first opened?

I'm trying to work out how purchasing the company will result in them having any more attention in the parks than the multiple E-ticket attractions and Special Events that they already have.

Because I think there is a stark difference, between paying out to license something, and actually owning a brand, and all it's incumbent skills and facilities.

You are talking, the difference between getting a nod of approval and long and protracted negotiations as to what you can and can't do - and being given the keys to an extraordinary level of skill and potentials.

They are probably the worlds best special effects company. Having that carte blanche and on hand at your convenience, is a very, very different proposition.

Lucas will be turning in his grave. Wait, he is dead isn't he? I'm pretty sure the critics killed him after 'Temple Of The Crystal Skull'.

On a serious note this is not what I'd call good news for the movie industry, however I can see it being massively good news for the theme park industry. Expanding on the Star Tours area is a must for Hollywood Studios. So much potential.........

Well as long as this means Paris will finally have more reason than ever to upgrade to Star Tours II I'm happy :p

Ian said:
Well as long as this means Paris will finally have more reason than ever to upgrade to Star Tours II I'm happy :p
You mean Start Tours III ;)

New trilogy, new ride. Paris haven't been delaying they've been awaiting the next instalment...

...I can hope anyway :)

I wonder what could happen to Lego and the Legoland Star Wars deals, it would be a shame for Legoland to have to close their Star Wars minilands :p

SamJ said:
I wonder what could happen to Lego and the Legoland Star Wars deals, it would be a shame for Legoland to have to close their Star Wars minilands :p

Legoland signed a deal several years back with Disney to make the Lego sets for a lot of their films. From Pixar to even the darker films such as Pirates of the Caribbean. So thinking about it this simplifies things as now Star Wars will be part of the Disney deal as well.

Plus Lego have probably known about this for a while as there is a new Star Wars Miniland currently under construction in Florida.

So do you think they will create a big specific area, or go hammer and tongs to create more attractions, especially with new films on the way?

What ride manufacturers/technologies would you incorporate to get the best out of the franchise?

B&M X-Wing Rider?
Vekoma Pandora's Box Death Star?
Intamin Duelling Accelerator Pod Racing :D

Be daft, but within physics limits, you lot are great at that!

...and following upto Disney buying LucasFilm, it appears they are looking into buying Hasbro too according to MTV.

Whilst at first this wouldn't seem to be much, this would give them the licenses for GI Joe, My Little Pony and most importantly Transformers. With Marvel already under their belt, Universal executives should be slightly worried I imagine.