• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Disneyland Paris: General Discussion

I thought the new land at Walt Disney Studios Park was only meant to have Smugglers Run so this is a surprise to hear it might get Rise of the Resistance too!

I thought it was the other way around and they were meant to get just ROTR

I thought I'd read it was just Smugglers with it being the cheaper of the two attractions and the millennium falcon was on the concept art. I might be wrong though.

I just cannot see the money being made available for this for quite some years. 2030, anyone?

Who knows. Disney have had a truly terrible year but things can turn around quickly for them.

I really hope they don't scrap the plans. Star Wars, Marvel and Frozen lands are basically a license to print money. Those IP's will never die. The merch opportunities therefore are endless.

The marvel ones are well underway so there's no chance of that stopping now obviously. I still think they will push on with plans but maybe it's delayed to 2026 or 2027 now.

Who knows. Disney have had a truly terrible year but things can turn around quickly for them

Terrible based on what exactly? The revenue for last year was still higher than 2018, despite the parks being closed for most of the year.

To me, that says the parks do not make much money regardless. The majority of Disney's money comes from places other than the themeparks. So based on that, I would be suprised if the performance of the themeparks last year, has much impact (if any) on future projects and investments for the parks.

Terrible based on what exactly? The revenue for last year was still higher than 2018, despite the parks being closed for most of the year.

To me, that says the parks do not make much money regardless. The majority of Disney's money comes from places other than the themeparks. So based on that, I would be suprised if the performance of the themeparks last year, has much impact (if any) on future projects and investments for the parks.

Disney historically does make more money from movies, but of course with cinemas closed that been very different in the last year. But even with the low capped attendance, the theme parks are breaking even.
But I disagree with your last sentance it does make a difference to future projects. In Florida several things have been delayed and others cancelled or postponed. A few years ago there was significant cost-cutting in the Florida parks due to the under-performance of Shanghai and Hong Kong. Investment at the parks is very much linked to the overall performance of the parks and resorts division.
Whereas Comcast are recognising that the Universal parks are one of their fastest growing areas and continuing to invest
heavily, which is one of the main reasons Disney were doing any building at all in Florida.

I think we’re downplaying the massive contribution park and resorts (now parks experiences and products) makes to revenue and profit at TWDC. They have historically been (and in spite of Covid, continue to be) massive revenue juggernauts for the company.

There is demonstrable continued demand for the park as can be seen in Florida. Cutting or downsizing these long term projects is a depressing reaction to the current situation, when demand for the parks is still there. It’s a timid approach and will leave the Paris parks continuing to lag behind a lot of their siblings. The main park will continue to rely on its original charm, but is now lacking any type of major new attractions and technology. The Studios park desperately needs the investment that appears to be either delayed or scaled back.

I think we’re downplaying the massive contribution park and resorts (now parks experiences and products) makes to revenue and profit at TWDC. They have historically been (and in spite of Covid, continue to be) massive revenue juggernauts for the company.

There is demonstrable continued demand for the park as can be seen in Florida. Cutting or downsizing these long term projects is a depressing reaction to the current situation, when demand for the parks is still there. It’s a timid approach and will leave the Paris parks continuing to lag behind a lot of their siblings. The main park will continue to rely on its original charm, but is now lacking any type of major new attractions and technology. The Studios park desperately needs the investment that appears to be either delayed or scaled back.
Disneyland Park is crying out for a complete new attraction, the last was Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast in 2006 which is a crazy amount of time for a park to not receive any new hardware. IMO the park needs a new E-Ticket attraction ASAP such as Soarin' in Adventureland or Tokyo's Beauty and the Beast attraction in Fantasyland (it's set in France afterall). I understand they're trying to expand Walt Disney Studios Park and bring it up to scratch but you can't just ignore the other one in the process, especially now the majority of the original attractions have received a major refurb. It's time for something new.

Disney as a whole not the parks division.

Even with the roll out of Disney plus it's not been a good year for Disney. It's not been a good year for many major companies.

There's talks of scaling back planned projects in various Disney parks so it's definitely not good news is it?

If Studios works have been delayed, leaving it as a building site would still be an improvement on it's original iteration.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

If Studios works have been delayed, leaving it as a building site would still be an improvement on it's original iteration.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

This is a valid point. John Hench once famously said that he liked the parking lot more than what turned out to be the original California Adventure. I dread to think what he'd have made of Studios in Paris, thankfully I doubt he ever got to see it.

Disney as a whole not the parks division.

Even with the roll out of Disney plus it's not been a good year for Disney. It's not been a good year for many major companies.

There's talks of scaling back planned projects in various Disney parks so it's definitely not good news is it?

But the company's performance financially last year is still is not even close to poor or bad. Yeah that havent made as much money as they year before. But they have still made an extremely healthy amount..not poor on it's own merits by any stretch of the word.

But the company's performance financially last year is still is not even close to poor or bad. Yeah that havent made as much money as they year before. But they have still made an extremely healthy amount..not poor on it's own merits by any stretch of the word.

That's totally relative though. They lost out on shed loads of money. Money they didn't anticipate to lose before Feb/March 2020.

Revenue earned Vs projected will be down massively no doubt. That's all that counts.

That's totally relative though. They lost out on shed loads of money. Money they didn't anticipate to lose before Feb/March 2020.

Revenue earned Vs projected will be down massively no doubt. That's all that counts.
Right ... But their stock is up 74% year on year. In no small part because of the diverse nature of the business.

That is what counts.

Right ... But their stock is up 74% year on year. In no small part because of the diverse nature of the business.

That is what counts.

Cinemas closed, theme parks either partially or fully closed. It's been a disastrous year for them.

No danger of going out of business obviously because they are a bohemouth but I'm sure they aren't doing cartwheels in their board room right now either.

They will bounce back though and with a bang because they are the best at what they do.

The Disney Cruise Line and the Disney Stores have also had a terrible year. It looks like the share price has soared on the optimism around Disney Plus. I don't know enough about the streaming market, to know how well placed that optimism is.

Cinemas closed, theme parks either partially or fully closed. It's been a disastrous year for them.

No danger of going out of business obviously because they are a bohemouth but I'm sure they aren't doing cartwheels in their board room right now either.

They will bounce back though and with a bang because they are the best at what they do.

Bounce back from what though? Their stocks are up, the company is performing extremely well. There is nothing to bounce back from! I get that massive companies have divisions, and divisions can perform differently. But, the overall performance of the company as a whole is the main factor that drives investment or lack off. Yes there can be other influences, but ultimately if the company overall is doing fantastic (like now), they will use the boosts in profits from other divisions to help prop up the lesser performing ones.

Yes some divisions have done worse. That is very well expected by now due to the pandemic. So a year in, that cannot be really used as an unexpected factor in performance. With a publicly traded company, the ultimate measure of performance is stock price. That's it. Stocks are flying, so Disney is doing very well, also reflected by their very very healthy revenue. This will have an impact on investment in the parks. As they will be keen to get them back flying high soon and making sure they also stay ahead of the competition.

Last edited: