• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Disneyland Paris: General Discussion

Take this with a pinch of salt but apparently, Disneyland Paris is getting a £15 billion investment.

Slightly more than Crossrail's original budget? You're better off taking an articulated lorry load of salt.

The author doesn't appear to understand the difference between millions and billions in the article, however. They start the paragraph by saying that it's part of a $60 MILLION investment in Parks and Experiences worldwide (clearly maths isn't their strong point), then finish by saying that it's a £60 BILLION pot.

It was recently announced that The Walt Disney Company would be pouring a whopping $60 Million investment into the Parks, Experiences and Products division over the next decade, an investment that will see expansions to their theme parks and cruise lines. Many jokes about what Disneyland Paris could get out of this were posted online, but reliable scooper, Ally (co-creator of OutsideEarsDLP) has shared that Disneyland Paris is actually set to receive an astonishing €15 Billion from the €60 Billion pot.

$60 billion is not far off the current HS2 budget.

$60 billion is over 1/3rd of Disney's entire market cap as a company ($148 billion at today's stock market price).

$60 billion is 60 thousand million, which means that Disneyland Paris would be getting a 15 thousand million dollar investment. Just say that number out loud, 15 thousand million. You could build just under 1,000 Project Exodus's for the budget that this article is giving Disneyland Paris over 10 years.

This article has no basis in reality.

Screenshot_20230930-164532.png

Slightly more than Crossrail's original budget? You're better off taking an articulated lorry load of salt.

The author doesn't appear to understand the difference between millions and billions in the article, however. They start the paragraph by saying that it's part of a $60 MILLION investment in Parks and Experiences worldwide (clearly maths isn't their strong point), then finish by saying that it's a £60 BILLION pot.

$60 billion is not far off the current HS2 budget.

$60 billion is over 1/3rd of Disney's entire market cap as a company ($148 billion at today's stock market price).

$60 billion is 60 thousand million, which means that Disneyland Paris would be getting a 15 thousand million dollar investment. Just say that number out loud, 15 thousand million. You could build just under 1,000 Project Exodus's for the budget that this article is giving Disneyland Paris over 10 years.

This article has no basis in reality.

Screenshot_20230930-164532.png
Ok. I need to eat a bit of humble pie. Apologies for the double post.

From: https://twitter.com/WaltDisneyCo/status/1704127237396500785

Clearly the top bods at WDC have taken their motto of "when you wish upon a star, your dreams come true" a bit too literally. Cannot understand how they could get the financing for this kind of deal. I'm relying heavily on the "plans" bit for my own ego's sake.

They spent £30b over the past 10 years across their parks and resorts and cruise line. They said they want to turbo charge the investment as that's where they see the growth for the company over next 10 years. The last 10 years incs Shanghai Disney, multiple new cruise ships, pandora & galaxy edge just to name a few projects. They have recently achnolowedged that pricing is at the point or close to the tipping point and can't just keep raising prices, and have said they see growth through expansion allowing them to increase capacity and grow the business that way.

It’s also worth bearing in mind that comparing expenditure over a previous decade to planned expenditure in the next decade is not apples with apples. That’s a 20 year period during which inflation will play a big part. After you strip out inflation from the figures the increase is far less an increase than it first appears, although an increase none the less.

That figure also covers areas like DVC and Cruise Line too, so it’ll be interesting to see how it is spread. A few new ships added to cruise line will easily eat into the total.

Complete speculation, but if Paris are getting £10-15b of that £60b investment it's highly suggestive that Disney are concerned about the return of Universal in Europe over the next decade.

I’m not sure. Disney’s response to competition in their other wholly-owned parks is usually muted. Even when they do respond it’s regularly long after any big move Universal makes, see for example everything from Potter onwards in Orlando. I’m not sure we’d see publicly announced expenditure which would in large part constitute a reaction to what is at the moment just a rumour of Universal re-entering the European market.

You’ve just got to look at what’s happening in Florida to see that Disney does react to what Universal do.

If Universal does indeed come to PortAventura then it will IMO prompt them to invest heavily in DLP at speed.

the main takeaway out of all these investments? Great for us enthusiasts.

I read that 9bn of the 60bn is going to the Cruise Line division including 3 brand new ships for Australia and New Zealand region which is new territory for the company.

So 15bn of the remaining 51bn going to Paris seems very unlikely although that would be absolutely fantastic for sure if true.
It definitely needs it more than any of the other resorts. Maybe visitor numbers are falling? Not sure.

Still to this day can't understand why they sent the new Beauty n The Beast attraction to the far East when it's a story set in France.

It's a large chunk of money but it's spread over 10 years+ Disney since owning the Paris parks in full have been investing in restoring attractions and the park opening ones now have been almost complete.

However the big issues come with re-tracking. All the parks coasters will soon be of an age where they need track replaced. That's 3 coasters at once.. not cheap. Especially that big hole underground for BTM! They are essentially the same age as nemesis but run alot more!

So realistically 0.5 - 1 bn would be used for just re-tracking.

So what with the requirements to build a new park the upgrade of Disney village and more hotels needing love I can definitely see this figure being quoted as real.

My big question to you guys would be would a universal park hit Disney bad? I think the positioning of DLP is superior. And universal failed once In Europe so something about the park must have issues.

Fair comment Squiggs 😂 but I was referring the rumoured new Disney park coming to Orlando…
Getting somewhat off topic but this is the first I've heard of this rumour, is there a reliable source? You'd be looking at least 10 years for Disney to build a whole park though!

As for Paris, it is clear that much more investment is needed once the current construction is complete. We still have no indication of what the second new themed area around the lake is going to be. And surely they have to have plans for Disneyland Park? I love that park but it is in desperate need of a new E-ticket.

You’ve just got to look at what’s happening in Florida to see that Disney does react to what Universal do.

What's happening in Florida? There are still vague rumours of a Magic Kingdom expansion beyond Big Thunder but thats got to be ten years away. Its a late reaction to Epic Universe, they are throwing out blue sky ideas to try and show they are actually doing something, when in reality if they were reacting to Epic Universe groundworks would have already started. They might at some point in the next few years change Dinosaur to Indiana Jones and build a new area based on Encanto at Animal Kingdom, but again no work has started, its just one idea that may or may happening.

In short, nothing is happening. They hadn't planned to build anything for the next few years and are now panicking because they need anything to show off at the D23 events so raided the blue sky ideas box.

There won't be a fifth park. It won't bring extra spend, just move it around the existing parks while adding a lot more operational costs. People will still spend a week at WDW, just spread amongst different parks. Better investment is expansions to the existing ones and most of the announcements and rumours are towards the MK expansion.