• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Disneyland Paris : New trains for Space Mountain Mission 2

Dave said:
I never found SM that rough, Dragon Khan at PA is FAR rougher.

New trains are always a bonus though :)

101.gif

Just, what?

Benzin said:
Dave said:
I never found SM that rough, Dragon Khan at PA is FAR rougher.

New trains are always a bonus though :)

101.gif

Just, what?

Really it was fine, it baffles me how many geeks love a rattley woody but if a steel has any shake it's evil.

It's rough to me if it hurts, when it rode it didn't hurt. Though the people I was with said it seemed smoother than normal, it might have just had maintenance.

I'm exactly the same Dave. A ride can rattle and shake all it likes, but it has to actually cause me pain to dislike it. It's one of the reasons I detest Vampire (Though that's down to god awful seat and OTSR ergonomics than any track defect). On so many rides I think the roughness and rattles add to the character and charm of the ride (Yet this only seems to apply to Ultimate and TdZ for some it seems). But just imagine if every ride was butter smooth like say Air. Where would the fun be in that?! :p

Never had an issue on SMM2 but the new trains are exciting regardless. Haven't been since 2011 so I hope the sewer tunnel has improved more than anything...

I never found Space Mountain Mission 2 that rough head banging wise, I did get bruises on my shoulders but I was overall fine.

The news of new trains sound exciting though.

It amuses me how so many people are declaring SMM2 to not be rough, when whenever I seem to discuss it people say it's rough!

The whole reason Disney are changing the trains is due to rider comfort.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Can't remember any sort of discomfort, last time I rode it I compared it to corkscrew though (naturally).

Either way, new trains always good fun anyway. In time for my visit as well, lovely.

I'm sorry I don't post on here much other things I honestly think space mountain is top 3 rides first being big thunder mountain anyway even though I did not get bashed on the head I think new seats are good because it is in comfy.

AstroDan said:
It amuses me how so many people are declaring SMM2 to not be rough, when whenever I seem to discuss it people say it's rough!

You rode it with me Dan and was amazed how smooth it was compared to your previous visit....

You memory is going old man :D

Dave said:
AstroDan said:

You rode it with me Dan and was amazed how smooth it was compared to your previous visit....

You memory is going old man :D

You misunderstand me.

I have never had a major problem with Space Mountain. However, whenever I say I find the ride is OK (yes there's a jolt here and there, but nothing too bad) - others are quick to declare it the most painful ride at DLP and very rough!

I just think it's amusing that the moment DLP are adding vest restraints, suddenly everyone now thinks it's smooth :p

Ahhhhhhhhh

Forum fickleness at its best, it certainly will be improved with new restraints even if it isn't that bad.

Oh the ride certainly has problems. I'm midway through writing a review for it at the moment and one of my conclusions is that it certainly could have been better in terms of track and train fabrication. I don't think anyone has said the new trains are a bad thing (except for from an aesthetic point of view)

But I always feel the need to defend Space Mountain because it really isn't as bad as it's made out to be.

I found SM:M2 to be one of the most horrifically rough coasters I've ever been on. I couldn't begin to concentrate on what was going on outside of the car as I was too busy trying to avoid the constant pummeling from the restrains. I believe it thoroughly deserves its reputation as one of the world's worst coasters.

These new trains can only be a good thing as like many, I love the concept and the original theme of Space Mountain but there's no getting past the appalling ride quality in its current form.

As for Dragon Khan, it might be a height-related issue but I find riding the bus more uncomfortable than riding DK which is very smooth for an 18 year old coaster.

The theming on the current trains doesn't look as nice to me as it sounds like it does to other people. I think the covers over the running wheels look particularly naff. I'm certainly hoping that the new trains will be liveried and/or detailed better than the plain silver front car shown in that massively watermarked image on page 1, but if that doesn't happen I won't mind as long as I'm comfortable when I ride it.

Diogo - I remembered reading about your experience of riding Python when it had the Kumbak trains, but it took me too long to put that last post into a reasonable order without mentioning those!

CGM said:
I found SM:M2 to be one of the most horrifically rough coasters I've ever been on. I couldn't begin to concentrate on what was going on outside of the car as I was too busy trying to avoid the constant pummeling from the restrains. I believe it thoroughly deserves its reputation as one of the world's worst coasters.

These new trains can only be a good thing as like many, I love the concept and the original theme of Space Mountain but there's no getting past the appalling ride quality in its current form.

As for Dragon Khan, it might be a height-related issue but I find riding the bus more uncomfortable than riding DK which is very smooth for an 18 year old coaster.

I think rider height has a lot to do with it, I found Dragon Khan more painful than Baco, and 100 times more painful than Space Mountain. Dragon Khan is a horrid coaster that after 3 goes in various ride positions I refused to ride again.

My top five most painful coaster experiences are

1) Gouderix
2) Dragon Khan
3) Furious Baco
4) Saw
5) any Vekoma SLC bar Kumali

Space Mountain wouldn't even feature in the top 10 most painful.

Hey,

Thread-necro-ing here :)

I went to DLP a couple of weeks ago and was shocked by how rough SM:M2 was. I was sat in the back seat of one of the front cars, and banged my knee against some big of metal every time there was an inversion.

It's a real shame, because it was such a great ride in every way apart from that snag. Two questions:

1) Are the new trains in yet (i.e. is this as good as it will get?)
2) Any suggestions on what I was doing wrong? Are different seats better or worse?

Thanks!

Ugh SM:M2 is a horrible ride for roughness in my opinion. Maybe it's because I'm 6' 5" but I find it pretty much unbearable.

I haven't heard anything about the new trains in ages though, which is a shame.

I love the overall 'idea' of the ride, it's one of my favourites, but I agree that the rider comfort is questionable and varies massively depending on your seat and a host of other factors. It's almost a Furius Baco in that sense.

I am perplexed though. What has happened to these new trains!?

Being somebody who experiences a fair bit of pain from certain rollercoasters, I was surprised by the lack of roughness on SM:M2 that a lot of people here have been talking about. It has its moments but I certainly wasn't hit around that much on my last visit and the same goes for 5 years ago, then again Dave and I did sit towards the front on every go we had.

Well looking at the Rehab Schedule, Space Mountain isn't due any downtime in the coming months, so I can see us possibly not seeing the new trains until at least summer time, and even then I doubt they'll be taking the ride down in a peak period. My bets are next winter (Post October) at any rate.

Like Rowe, I've never had a problem with the ride, but it seems to be a bit hit and miss, with some people having both good and bad rides on it at different periods. The new restraints will clearly be the next logical step to try and make the ride constantly comfortable. However, it will no doubt take time to get it right with the new trains, especially if they're going to need to re-program SOBAT to keep the audio working as it should.

The new design looks a lot lighter than the old trains, so I can imagine them seeing the speed quite drastically change. When the ride was first built they supposedly had a lot of issues with the weight of the trains, and speed of the ride. The French inspecting body ordered the ride to be quite drastically slowed down to meet the legal requirements, so I wonder if perhaps they've tried the new trains on during the last rehab period, and realised how much they're going to have to alter in terms of the launch system, MCBR trimming, and safety timer trip outs.

I don't see this being as simple as just taking one train off and putting a new one on though at any rate.