• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Disneyland Paris : New trains for Space Mountain Mission 2

Pedro

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Expedition Ge Force
According to coastersworld.fr, Space Mountain mission 2 is soon going to have new train.
It has been rumoured for over a year now, but it is coming true. Trains are going to be changed in the next week.
And of course it will be new Vekoma train, including the new restraints!

541843_526523524097449_2117110333_n.jpg

I don't think they've put enough watermarks on that image.

That shell looks very plain compared to the current trains - hopefully that isn't the finished article. Still, I'm in favour of anything that makes SMM2 less uncomfortable as at the moment I find it a very unpleasant ride.

They look just like the concept:

ab11e94e.jpg

I do hope those restraints are more flexible than they look. And there doesn't seem to be too much legroom, if you ask me.

The restraints actually aren't too bad as I've tried Python at Efteling has the new Vekoma style restraints.

It's great that it's getting new trains. However I hope that isn't the final design of them. The shells look awfully plain and uninspiring when compared to the current trains. And everyone knows Disney can do so much better.

:)

Brilliant! I've said since this roumer first came out that these new trains might save SMM2. As it is, it's a horriffic headbanger, but with the same restraints as Python I might even like it! :p
Now they just need to fit them on RnR as well...

Yes!

I love SM in principal.

This could be its saviour.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I'm glad to see that Dave's first flight in December on Space Mountain: Mission 2 won't be as bumpy and head banging as mine was back in August 2008! Shame about the aesthetics though, needs more Jules Verne influence in honesty!

I honestly don't see the problem with the old trains. Sure they aren't B&M or Mack standards and I also welcome the new design but I really don't find the ride as horrendous as is described. I had assumed that it had somehow got worse since my visit in 2005 (when it had only just re-launched as Mission 2) but having ridden it again last month I found it firm but to my memory I didn't bash my head once.

The vast majority find it rough.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

When I rode it last year I found that either the right or left seat was rough, and the other was ok. I can't remember which way round it was though. I have certainly been on a lot rougher coasters than Space Mountain!

:)

DiogoJ42 said:
Brilliant! I've said since this roumer first came out that these new trains might save SMM2. As it is, it's a horriffic headbanger, but with the same restraints as Python I might even like it! :p
Now they just need to fit them on RnR as well...

Funny...I find RnR to be the smoothest Vekoma out there...

Still, glad to see SM getting it's new trains...gives me an excuse to get out to France again :p

Oh thank god. The prospect of SMM2 without MK1212 trains was one I was dreading, seeing as so many people have said how unpleasant it is with the existing ones.

I rode Python for the first time last year, and I got the feeling that MK1212 trains had probably turned it from an awful coaster into a completely average but perfectly OK one. If that doesn't sound like a glowing review it's because I found the layout rather bland, but the trains really were great. The vest restraints eliminate all the 'padding' on old Vekoma OTSRs and stay well away from your ears, so when the train gets inelegantly tipped into a direction change you feel a minor jolt and that's it; no ruined ear lobes. Legroom in the front of each car is still reduced by the bulges to accommodate the wheelsets, but that's not that big an issue. All Vekoma coasters built using that skeletal-looking track should have to run them!

RnR probably doesn't need them, true. I'm just a big fan of these trains and think they should be compulsary on all Jerkomas.
Dave, don't forget that Python had Kumbak trains before.... I never thought it was possible to be worse than Vekoma and Pinfari combined, but somehow they found a way.

I never found SM that rough, Dragon Khan at PA is FAR rougher.

New trains are always a bonus though :)

Oh Christ, don't let those be the finished articles! Along with the images we've seen for Ratatoulie so far these could be some of the blandest train Disney have turned out :/

Whilst I welcome anything which will hopefully improve others opinions on the ride, I'm very much like Tim, in that I've never once had a problem with the roughness. Sure, it's no B&M, but I can think of worse!

I just hope to god this upgrade doesn't come at the expense of more remnants of the original concept departing (The trains were wrecked enough during the MII upgrade, but at least some traces of the old charm remain). Oh, and of course, the onboard audio needs to be just as powerful, if not even more so on the new trains! :p

Please Disney, don't screw up one of your only coasters I really really care about :(

Tbh I never found space montain to be really rough. But didnt rode it much.
Its by far not the worst vekoma I've been on, and nothing like its neighbour goudurix.

Still glad to see new trains coming, tried it on Speed of sound in Walibi World 2 months ago and loved it!

While this is great, surely it's just a temporary fix, a plaster if you will...?

Just rip out the coaster California-style, and rebuild it as a track-for-track Mack Launch remake.

It'd solve all the problems permanently, would increase the throughputs, and make the ride better than it's ever been before.