• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

I think someone might have used this example earlier in the thread, but it’s worth remembering that Tussauds removed a fair few attractions from Alton Towers in their first years at the park because they didn’t feel that they were befitting of where they wanted to take the park. You never know what Looping Group’s plans might be.

Tussauds removed temporary funfair rides from Alton Towers and replaced them with custom, bespoke, high end attractions.

I am firmly of the belief that DMP are making a mistake: the best theme parks cater to all demographics. Then, the whole family can have fun. Becoming a young family park means as soon as one child is over the age of 7, Thomas Land is just not cool anymore.

Ultimately, if Apocalypse does go, there's not a sufficient number of reasons to visit the park for me anymore - so good luck to it I guess.

It may not even be Apocalypse up for sale... nobody knows. There's one other Intamin Drop Tower that opened in 2000, it's located in Spain at a park called Terra Mitica.

LR1vNhZ.png

Someone also contacted Interlink for more info, and they were able to confirm that it is Apocalypse up for sale:

Hugely Disappointing, I'm also on the side of a good park needs attractions for all ages. Drayton Manor is the closest park to me at only 25 minutes drive away, however I visit towers much more nowadays. This will really enforce that notion even more for me... Sorry Drayton, but I think this is a big error if it is not replaced by a thrill or family thrill attraction. Here's hoping they have something more planned than just some standard replacement flats or a Thomas Land expansion.

Also how the heck are they going to remove it and it surely must be expensive?! The concrete foundations extend a fair few feet into the ground.

The same way they built it, with a big crane. I would suspect the concerete foundations may be left in situ as there would be no point in removing them unless they needed to build directly over it. If they did remove the foundations it would be smashed up to how concerete is always smashed up, with a massive hydraulic jack hammer on a JCB.

This is sad news and I think a bad decision by the park, the latest in about 10+ years of pretty bad decisions.

And yet another notable park begins to fall.

I’m not sure whether this is/was a decision prior to the buyout but it’s a disappointing and concerning one without a doubt. Apocalypse is/was one of the few stand out rides at the park to those who aren’t in the Thomas Land camp.

2016 was my first and (currently) only visit to the park. It was alright but nothing stood out to me bar a few exceptions including Apocalypse. Regretibly I already missed a few earlier departures, but this one alike further weakens any reason to return to the park unless substantial investments are evident.

The U.K park industry really has gone down the Creek in the last few years. And if Drayton potentially shadowing the ongoing decline of Lightwater, it’s safe to say that Paultons, Flamingo, Fantasy Island and maybe Blackpool could be the only U.K. parks outside of Merlin to see new investments this decade.

Tussauds removed temporary funfair rides from Alton Towers and replaced them with custom, bespoke, high end attractions.

Yep, whereas Drayton had some bespoke high-end attractions but it feels like they will end up down the route of going to off-the-shelf and simple attractions more like WMSP.

In my opinion DM needed a new family attraction to replace Pirates and a new family coaster to replace G-Force to give something in-between Buffalo and Shockwave, similar to the old Klondike Mine train. Its bonkers to think that a travelling type coaster was probably a better ride and fit for the park than G-Force was.

Been a parent I think a theme park is really just for families with young children up to 12 years old. Now growing up in the 80’s and 90’s all my friends went to Alton Towers, Drayton Manor and American Adventure and we would talk in the play ground about the rides now most of them have never taken any of there kids to a theme park. Now my daughter spoke to a couple of her friends about theme parks and they not been since they were young when there not free anymore or the price jumps a lot. So many don’t get to the minimum height of 1.2m to enjoy the thrill rides at Drayton or any other park. They more happy playing online games with there friends or watching stuff on there tablet and parents are more than happy as they not spending any money.

Been a parent I think a theme park is really just for families with young children up to 12 years old. Now growing up in the 80’s and 90’s all my friends went to Alton Towers, Drayton Manor and American Adventure and we would talk in the play ground about the rides now most of them have never taken any of there kids to a theme park. Now my daughter spoke to a couple of her friends about theme parks and they not been since they were young when there not free anymore or the price jumps a lot. So many don’t get to the minimum height of 1.2m to enjoy the thrill rides at Drayton or any other park. They more happy playing online games with there friends or watching stuff on there tablet and parents are more than happy as they not spending any money.

All of my best theme park trips were when I was 20-30, going with friends. I had some great Drayton Manor trips in the 90s too, when I was 11-13 too (and my brother would have been 8-10). But all of my best theme park memories are without my parents. I'm sure its the same for others.

Don't discount child-free adults.

I would assume that they're only selling the tower, cars, op panels and electronics, and not the building. It'll be up to the buyer to construct a new building if they want.

Give it another few years, and we'll all be feeling envious every time a Six Flags park builds another Larson Loop. "Why can't we have one in the UK?", we'll all say.

On the flip side, the fun fair rides were all relatively modern, whereas the rides Drayton are selling are c.20 years old. I'd also add that you don't know what will replace these rides (if anything).

Lightwater is a park which is clearly doomed.

Drayton Manor could honestly go either way - although it's pretty clear it won't be as interesting to those frequenting this board moving forward.

Last edited:
I can’t honestly work out why people are comparing DM taking out one ride to Lightwater. The biggest draw for most paying punters to DM these days is Thomas Land that’s just the reality of the situation. It’s how the new owners embrace the park and decide what they want to add to the park but until then it’s all guessing games but reality of the situation no ride last forever and eventually they slowly disappear.

I can’t honestly work out why people are comparing DM taking out one ride to Lightwater. The biggest draw for most paying punters to DM these days is Thomas Land that’s just the reality of the situation. It’s how the new owners embrace the park and decide what they want to add to the park but until then it’s all guessing games but reality of the situation no ride last forever and eventually they slowly disappear.

Because they've taken 2 out, 1 being a big draw to the park. Akin to LWV removing Ulty and Raptor (And Claw)