• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

While we’re talking about Apocalypse, is it only me who found it a little bit overhyped? Don’t get me wrong, I thought it was a pretty good drop tower, and quite possibly my favourite ride there (the only other potential candidate I can think of is Shockwave, which I’ve got to say was a really pleasant surprise!), but I can certainly think of a fair few I’ve enjoyed more; rides like HangOver, Venom and Detonator come to mind.

It seems to be a lot of people’s favourite UK drop tower, so I was a little underwhelmed by it in that regard, even though it was still pretty good.

Apocolypse is the UKs tallest drop tower isn't it?

Although I know what you mean to an extent, it feels like Detonator packs more of a punch.

Apocolypse is the UKs tallest drop tower isn't it?

Although I know what you mean to an extent, it feels like Detonator packs more of a punch.
I think it might actually be Ice Blast that is Britain’s tallest drop tower (180ft, I think?), but Apocalypse is only 3ft shorter, so basically it nearly is, yes.

For me, while I really liked Apocalypse, Detonator felt like it was packing a bit more of a punch, and surprisingly, Venom felt punchier again when I rode that last October! I’ve got to admit I have a real soft spot for those Fabbri drop towers...

According to Wikipedia,
Apocolypse is 177ft, 54m tall and reaches 50mph
Ice Blast is 180ft 55m and reaches 80mph (but is a shot tower)
Detonator is 115ft 35m and reaches 50mph.

Ice Blast doesn't feel that tall, I think the bunker theming on Apocolypse makes it feel taller? Or just the slow climb to the top makes it feel taller compared to the quick shot of Ice Blast?
But why is Apocolypse so slow compared to Detonator, I would have thought the height means more speed?

Is Detonator launched down slightly, and Apocalypse a true free fall drop?
Apocalypse standing, floorless, no handed, screaming all the way down like the idiot that I am, is one of my favourite ride experiences.
Yes; Detonator and Venom are both launched downwards, which is what allows them to have such punchy drops without being huge rides (surprisingly, Detonator is only 115ft, and Venom is actually only 98ft; I’ll admit that surprised me, as Venom feels way taller than Detonator!).

The scary moment on most drop towers is hanging at the top waiting to drop, so in theory the taller the tower the scarier the height is. But if its the adrenline rush of the speed that gives the thrill then Detonator is better as it is punchier. So it depends what entertains you more, the fear of heights or the feeling of speed I guess.

While we’re talking about Apocalypse, is it only me who found it a little bit overhyped? Don’t get me wrong, I thought it was a pretty good drop tower, and quite possibly my favourite ride there (the only other potential candidate I can think of is Shockwave, which I’ve got to say was a really pleasant surprise!), but I can certainly think of a fair few I’ve enjoyed more; rides like HangOver, Venom and Detonator come to mind.

It seems to be a lot of people’s favourite UK drop tower, so I was a little underwhelmed by it in that regard, even though it was still pretty good.

I think it might actually be Ice Blast that is Britain’s tallest drop tower (180ft, I think?), but Apocalypse is only 3ft shorter, so basically it nearly is, yes.

For me, while I really liked Apocalypse, Detonator felt like it was packing a bit more of a punch, and surprisingly, Venom felt punchier again when I rode that last October! I’ve got to admit I have a real soft spot for those Fabbri drop towers...

Yes; Detonator and Venom are both launched downwards, which is what allows them to have such punchy drops without being huge rides (surprisingly, Detonator is only 115ft, and Venom is actually only 98ft; I’ll admit that surprised me, as Venom feels way taller than Detonator!).

Did you do Apocalypse on the stand up seats? Or did you only do the sit down seats? The stand up seats on Apocalypse are no comparison to sitting down on Detonator. Facing down and seeing the ground come towards at such a speed is just death defying, the deceleration is just OMG!

And for the floorless one, that deceleration with the support bar between the legs is a worry for one's manhood :eek:

Did you do Apocalypse on the stand up seats? Or did you only do the sit down seats? The stand up seats on Apocalypse are no comparison to sitting down on Detonator. Facing down and seeing the ground come towards at such a speed is just death defying, the deceleration is just OMG!

And for the floorless one, that deceleration with the support bar between the legs is a worry for one's manhood :eek:
I’ll admit that I only did the sit-down seats on Apocalypse, so that may have coloured my opinion on it somewhat. I only had the chance for one ride on it when I went.

Unless its December (because Hangover the Tower is mental) Apocalpyse is the best in the country. Must admit, I've never done sat down as I don't see the point with the stand up option being offered.

Ooh, I love HangOver! To be honest, that’s probably my favourite “traditional” drop tower so to speak (I say “traditional” because if I’m allowed to count it, my favourite would be Tower of Terror in Florida by a considerable distance; that’s probably my favourite non-coaster, and one of my all-time favourite rides even including coasters); I always hear people say that larger drop towers often don’t pack as much force as smaller ones, but HangOver, in spite of being really tall (nearly 300ft, I think?) is so, so punchy! I’ve got to admit I also found it quite funny how the operator on there teases you and interacts with you over the mic; I was held up at the top for what felt like an eternity!

Especially given it’s a travelling ride, that one was definitely a huge positive surprise for me!

With regard to Apocalypse, though, I’ll admit I do regret not trying the standup or standup floorless options. As a sit-down drop tower, I personally preferred rides like HangOver and the country’s two Fabbri drop towers.

Worrying times.
Maybe Looping Group are removing the thrill stuff in order to clear space for some new attractions more befitting of the park’s current target market, as well as to raise a bit of money along the way? They received some fairly substantial Middle Eastern backing recently, and some of their other properties seem to get fairly good investment (for example, WMSP is building some fairly expensive-looking lodges, as well as a new elephant habitat), so I think it’s plausible that they could be clearing space for some future family attractions, personally.

I think someone might have used this example earlier in the thread, but it’s worth remembering that Tussauds removed a fair few attractions from Alton Towers in their first years at the park because they didn’t feel that they were befitting of where they wanted to take the park. You never know what Looping Group’s plans might be.

I doubt there’s anything to be concerned about tbf no doubt the new park owners know what rides need to be replaced. But it makes sense in a way because if one area of the park is busy on a off peak day but the other side is quiet then obviously there’s an issue to address. It would be nice to keep all rides we enthusiasts like for nostalgia sake but time moves on and obviously the new park owners have an idea what route they want to take the park and only time will tell if it succeeds. In my honest opinion I wouldn’t say they are doing a lightwater type self destruction as they are not taking out a ride that’s a draw to park for most non enthusiasts.

The point being missed is it's a big drawing ride without a foot print. I can't think of a ride with a smaller footprint than a tower, plus the differing height limits allows it to cater to a wider range than just the 1.4s of a family.

The point being missed is it's a big drawing ride without a foot print. I can't think of a ride with a smaller footprint than a tower, plus the differing height limits allows it to cater to a wider range than just the 1.4s of a family.
Yeah remember that the height restriction for the sit down section is 1.2 metres, standup is 1.4.

I think its less that Drayton is going family than few UK parks have a thrill offering and that list is getting shorter.
In the Midlands that will be Towers, Fantasy Island and possibly WMSP. For a region with a population of 10 million.

At the rate the UK industry is going you’ll be able to count the options for a proper day out with any sizeable rides on one hand.

All the more disappointing if you ask me as Drayton was certainly not a park lacking in potential. There was a half decent start in place with the lineup it already had, it just needed a respectable thrill coaster to bring something fresh to the non-Thomas Land lineup in the short term, and a clearer long term plan for continued investment. Disappointing if Looping are intending to strip it all back.