• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

It'd be remarkable if the ride system returned to use after this long inactive; I know the Around the World In Eighty Days system returned after a few years inactive, but in that case the doors were shut and the ride was left untouched, whereas the Pirate Adventure building has been stripped and repurposed.

You're right though it is a very large prominent spot for a closed attraction.

They were trying to flog the boats at that auction last year, can't recall if any sold.

They were trying to flog the boats at that auction last year, can't recall if any sold.
Nobody at the auction purchased one so theoretically they should still be there unless they scrapped them. Drayton don’t seem to throw anything away though so they most likely still have them.

During the summer months I took the train to the zoo and the shutters on the back were partly open and you could see some of the boats in the Maintenance area so you never know the looping group could be looking at reusing the building and ride system.
I know it’s not been used for 6 years but the pumps and motors have been out of the water and Splash Canyon would have been in the worst state as that’s been left untouched outside for nearly 4 years and they getting that back open.
On the other hand the excalibur boats are been stored outside next to the coach car park. You can see them on google Earth.

I've just made the mistake of reading the newspaper comments sections. Lots of people who think they know better than the courts either saying that Drayton Manor are not guilty or that the fine should be higher and go directly to the family.
I suspect that the people on both of those sides do not know the full story.

The fine is for Drayton Manor Park Ltd
https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/00477404/officers
Which Colin was a director to a administrator company was appointed.
The Mellors was gonna run the theme park and rides under the name Drayton Manor Operations Limited then the owners called in the administrators.
The looping group brought the company off the administrator company for £15 million and was renamed Drayton Manor Resort Ltd so the fine goes to the company who was in charge in May 2017 but cause Drayton owed 20 million to banks/suppliers that 15 million was used to pay about 75% of the debt so the fine will be written off.

Last edited:
I've just made the mistake of reading the newspaper comments sections. Lots of people who think they know better than the courts either saying that Drayton Manor are not guilty or that the fine should be higher and go directly to the family.
I suspect that the people on both of those sides do not know the full story.
Yep and in this sort of case where (to the extent of what is known) the victim took actions that helped caused their death, whilst also the park didn't already have things in place (such as staff effectively watching cctv) that could have helped, it is a difficult case.
It is very clear why Alton Towers now insist on adults riding during school trip season but I also expect they have better monitoring in place already.

It is very clear why Alton Towers now insist on adults riding during school trip season but I also expect they have better monitoring in place already.
That is correct, there are lifeguards and rescue equipment dotted around the circuit now. :)