• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

That is correct, there are lifeguards and rescue equipment dotted around the circuit now. :)

I meant that even prior to the incident it’s probable that Alton Towers monitored the cctv better than Drayton Manor.
I think the additional staff around the ride was a knee-jerk reaction and probably isn’t needed really. But as DM were told in this case they should have assigned someone solely to monitor cctv and make announcements, as it seems AT were already better at doing.

I meant that even prior to the incident it’s probable that Alton Towers monitored the cctv better than Drayton Manor.
I think the additional staff around the ride was a knee-jerk reaction and probably isn’t needed really. But as DM were told in this case they should have assigned someone solely to monitor cctv and make announcements, as it seems AT were already better at doing.
Ahh I see, my bad. I think all major tracked/water rides with CCTV should have a dedicated staff member watching the monitors at all times, in case the ride needs to be E-stopped for any reason. It should be UK law tbf.

Ahh I see, my bad. I think all major tracked/water rides with CCTV should have a dedicated staff member watching the monitors at all times, in case the ride needs to be E-stopped for any reason. It should be UK law tbf.
Agreed it should be fully monitored for safety. Not sure how effective/quick an estop on a rapids ride would be? Pumps off/draining
I feel we overcompensate in the Uk with h&s, anyone who has ridden similar rides in Europe like radja river know how tame our versions are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed it should be fully monitored for safety. Not sure how effective/quick an estop on a rapids ride would be? Pumps off/draining
River rapids e-stops do indeed take a while due to drainage and can actually be dangerous if boats are in certain areas, as the boats would bottom on the trough and get caught in the bars/logs that create the rapids, potentially causing them to capsize.

River rapids e-stops do indeed take a while due to drainage and can actually be dangerous if boats are in certain areas, as the boats would bottom on the trough and get caught in the bars/logs that create the rapids, potentially causing them to capsize.

which is why it seems so strange you are encouraging their use.

the biggest lesson from the DM incident is that the ride op needs to properly monitor cctv and make announcements that people should remain seated as needed.

Surely the door gates solve the issue? Closing the gaps where you could fall out.
If you are going to fall out over the seat or gate then the force of the ride would come into question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Problem is you can’t estop a rollercoaster or water ride easily, estops only stop the motors or pumps neither of which power the cars on a water ride or rollercoaster.
There could be some merit in stopping the pump if someone is in danger of getting sucked down by it but the only way really is to stop people falling in i.e some kind of lap bar.

There's a huge ethical question over the fine not being paid, if that is the case.

Looping Group need to at the very least release a statement acknowledging the matter. It can be argued about liable registered companies etc, but the moral question remains unaddressed.

There's a huge ethical question over the fine not being paid, if that is the case.

Looping Group need to at the very least release a statement acknowledging the matter. It can be argued about liable registered companies etc, but the moral question remains unaddressed.
I would expect a statement about the improvements made to the ride and operations will happen before the park re-opens this season.

By statement acknowledging the matter, I mean the fact that (if it end sup being the case) the park isn't paying a penny of the fine, despite still existing as the same entity in reality.

Personally if I were the board of Loopings I'd be ordering a £1m donation of some kind.

By statement acknowledging the matter, I mean the fact that (if it end sup being the case) the park isn't paying a penny of the fine, despite still existing as the same entity in reality.

Personally if I were the board of Loopings I'd be ordering a £1m donation of some kind.
Been reading comments and many say the 1 million fine should go to the family of the girl. The company Drayton Manor Park Ltd once most of the debts have been cleared by the administrators. The company will be liquidated and Colin and his family can retire or move on. William is only the current Bryan family member on the board but he owns no shares in Drayton Manor Resorts Ltd.

Well then you might as well just pay the fine?

As unfortunate as it is, Drayton Manor run by the Bryan family doesn't exist. They had more debt than they could pay, this just adds to those debts. Yes to people reading looking from the outside it isn't obvious the ownership changed, but the news stories do mention it.

Its like if you bought a coffee shop that was closing down, you bought everything, the coffee machine beans, ovens, knives, chopping boards. But food standards had investigated the previous owner and closed them down for poor hygiene. Does that make you liable for their actions and therefore need to close down too?

Drayton Manor probably should have come back with a new logo or something after being bought out of administration to signify new ownership, but that doesn't change the fact the old company is gone.

Although, is it not just a fine to punish the company that did the wrongdoing, but since that company no longer exists it no longer needs to be punished. (You could say they already got punished by going into administration)

The second purpose of the fine is to set a precedent, so that all other companies make similar steps to ensure such failings never happen again. So in that sense the sentence will still serve a purpose

The fine wouldnt have gone to the family anyway, although hopefully they have been compensated somehow

It'd be remarkable if the ride system returned to use after this long inactive; I know the Around the World In Eighty Days system returned after a few years inactive, but in that case the doors were shut and the ride was left untouched, whereas the Pirate Adventure building has been stripped and repurposed.

You're right though it is a very large prominent spot for a closed attraction.

It's a fairly basic ride system, stranger things have happened. Would be very easy to bring it back to life if they wished. Splash Canyon is coming back after a long period of inactivity. So...

I thought the whole building was gutted including the ride system?

Thats the thing. We know the building was gutted. Unsure about the ride system. I didnt appear to have been in the pictures from the auction. But as they were selling the boats I suspect it has.

Pirate Adventure is no more sadly. That's never coming back. Best dark ride in the country once upon a time though and would probably still be in top 5 if it were still open.

Such a shame when we lose genuinely brilliant rides. Especially indoor ones.