• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

The £99 Annual Pass offer has been extended until the 7th March at 12pm now. I think its the cheapest annual pass for a single park including (nearly) every day its open and parking. Poultons is £250 or £150 for a weekday only version so quite a difference and Merlin park ones are now £119. Even when it does go to £110 it will still be amount the cheapest.

I've always wondered what the rationale is for extending a deal (not just Drayton specific). Does it mean it isn't selling well? Does it mean they are reviewing the 'post deal' price based on feedback? If it was selling very well, then why extend as it shows you can charge more?

I do agree - £99 is an amazing deal.

The building does take up a lot of land, so yeah, if they ever consider adding a new area, I can see the removal of the building happening.

As for a cheaper solution for the indoor attraction, i can see them buying a Flow Master from Garmendale (e.g. Tinkaboo Factory and Bubbleworks ride system) It'll definitely be cheaper to run and have a much higher capacity.
I don't see the building going anywhere as Themeparksandy1981 has said its too intertwined with too many other attractions/services. As for restoring the boat ride system, Mack could do it if Loopings wanted as they have recently regained the knowledge to do so with the rebuild of Batavia which included a lifthill/drop in it. I suspect the ride system could be restored, which is more likly both with Loopings as the owner and Mack now regaining the knowledge to do it. One thing I do wonder though. (Assuming the boat system is retained) Any thoughts on what theme it could have as a ride other then Pirates? I know a Thomas dark ride has been mooted but I'm struggling to see how a boat ride could be Thomas themed. I can't really imagine a theme other then Pirates working for a boat ride. Unless they completely retheme the Pirates Cove area to something else but personally think Pirates is a good theme for their current target audience.

The £99 Annual Pass offer has been extended until the 7th March at 12pm now. I think its the cheapest annual pass for a single park including (nearly) every day its open and parking. Poultons is £250 or £150 for a weekday only version so quite a difference and Merlin park ones are now £119. Even when it does go to £110 it will still be amount the cheapest.

Wow.. £250 for an AP to Paultons feels very steep. Only been once and we loved it but £250 is double the cost of a pass for Towers.

Are you sure that's right? If so I think they are over pricing it by a fair amount there.

Wow.. £250 for an AP to Paultons feels very steep. Only been once and we loved it but £250 is double the cost of a pass for Towers.

Are you sure that's right? If so I think they are over pricing it by a fair amount there.

I don't see the building going anywhere as Themeparksandy1981 has said its too intertwined with too many other attractions/services. As for restoring the boat ride system, Mack could do it if Loopings wanted as they have recently regained the knowledge to do so with the rebuild of Batavia which included a lifthill/drop in it. I suspect the ride system could be restored, which is more likly both with Loopings as the owner and Mack now regaining the knowledge to do it. One thing I do wonder though. (Assuming the boat system is retained) Any thoughts on what theme it could have as a ride other then Pirates? I know a Thomas dark ride has been mooted but I'm struggling to see how a boat ride could be Thomas themed. I can't really imagine a theme other then Pirates working for a boat ride. Unless they completely retheme the Pirates Cove area to something else but personally think Pirates is a good theme for their current target audience.
Maybe something similar to Toyland Tours, as families are now their main target audience. I could see something a like that being a huge success.

Or what about a more suttle theme, maybe have the ride themed to the Victorian/Industrial Revolution era? It'll be quite easy to retheme the area as there practically no major theming there.

I agree though, Pirates Cove really fits into the park well. If they don't want to retheme the area, they potentially could Reimagine Pirate Adventure, as you mentioned above with Batavia.

I've always wondered what the rationale is for extending a deal (not just Drayton specific). Does it mean it isn't selling well? Does it mean they are reviewing the 'post deal' price based on feedback? If it was selling very well, then why extend as it shows you can charge more?

I do agree - £99 is an amazing deal.

My guess would be extending as it is selling, but not as well as expected. Also can make a fuss out of it being extended, last chance type thing and people who were undecided might go for it rather than pay more later in the year.

If anything its still that the Merlin parks are too cheap. Paulton don't offer the 2for1 and half price offers like Merlin do. Its £39 per ticket for everyone and thats it, unless you get an AP. Whereas Merlin its £39 unles you get a Kelloggs box when it is two for £59 or you can get an annual pass.
Merlin hope to make up for the cheaper passes by selling stuff on-park (like Fasttrack), Paulton know that they need the money from the gate sales.

With Paultons children under a metre get in for free, and they can still get on the vast majority of the rides they'd be interested in, so effectively if it's one parent taking a small child all the time the price isn't as bad. Especially if you buy the cheaper option.

I must admit I like that there are no Fasttrack options at Drayton. Its one queue for everyone which is farest, not one queue for the rich and one for the poor. Also because its just a single queue it moves a lot quicker especially on flat rides. I'm franky amazed there isn't more resistance to "Push in passes" at theme parks. Poultons and Drayton do a good job at not flocking these for a quick buck at the expense of everyone else.

It’s more than likely most guests will buy the peak pass as they would go on a weekend or school holidays. Like I renewal my pass, my daughters (10) and my sons pass (2) and all 3 cost me £249 so cheaper than 1 pass at Paulton’s. My pass and my daughters don’t run out to mid Oct 2022 so I won’t pay the new price to Oct 2023. My son as I got it a week before his 2nd birthday is currently free to mid July.
If you see my pics from above there is something going on in the building even if it’s just cleaning the rest of the pirate theming out and checking out the ride system. They already brought the rapids back after SNBO outdoors for 4 years and retheming a 35 year old coaster for the new area so you can’t rule out the pirate adventure building been used again for a water ride again as it’s been kept drained.

I think the issue with PA is that yes the trough is still in there but that is just about it. There is no pump, no lift hill, no control system, no station, nothing. It will be as expensive as a new ride to get it running again, plus the fact that it will need re-certification as a new ride system and testing. The rapids still had all the electrics and mechanics still in, and therefore could be reinstated far faster and far cheaper. It's not impossible, but I wouldn't expect to see it until at least 2024 unless they started on it pretty much the day looping brought it.

It’s more than likely most guests will buy the peak pass as they would go on a weekend or school holidays. Like I renewal my pass, my daughters (10) and my sons pass (2) and all 3 cost me £249 so cheaper than 1 pass at Paulton’s. My pass and my daughters don’t run out to mid Oct 2022 so I won’t pay the new price to Oct 2023. My son as I got it a week before his 2nd birthday is currently free to mid July.
If you see my pics from above there is something going on in the building even if it’s just cleaning the rest of the pirate theming out and checking out the ride system. They already brought the rapids back after SNBO outdoors for 4 years and retheming a 35 year old coaster for the new area so you can’t rule out the pirate adventure building been used again for a water ride again as it’s been kept drained.
Depends how many times you visit the park I guess as to how good the pass works out. If a faily only wanted to visit Paulton three times then just paying for it is best, but at Drayton Manor an annual pass would wok out slightly cheaper and they are hoping you come back and spend money at a 4th visit. Paulton want an extra £39 for the 4th visit and they obviously think their park experiance is worth those prices and people are willing to either visit six or more times with an AP or less and just pay each time.

I don't see a ride going in pirate adventure this year, it is likely just work on the building.

I think the issue with PA is that yes the trough is still in there but that is just about it. There is no pump, no lift hill, no control system, no station, nothing. It will be as expensive as a new ride to get it running again, plus the fact that it will need re-certification as a new ride system and testing. The rapids still had all the electrics and mechanics still in, and therefore could be reinstated far faster and far cheaper. It's not impossible, but I wouldn't expect to see it until at least 2024 unless they started on it pretty much the day looping brought it.
The rapids had a whole new system put in.
A948CAC3-62F4-49F7-8CBC-A9C94616948A.jpegB5592699-3861-4F81-985B-05F88AA27544.jpeg
Photos taken in Jan 2020 show the station and Air gates were still in place and a boat in the station so 2 years ago the system was still in the building.

As much as I would love to see a ride like pirates return to Drayton (either similar to before or brand new) I can’t really see it happening.

However what I think would be good for a park like Drayton would be a good selection of indoor rides, similar to what Plopsa and Holiday park have. My guess is it would be themed to Thomas land. But could then easily mean the park could operate almost 365 with a large indoor area.

As much as I would love to see a ride like pirates return to Drayton (either similar to before or brand new) I can’t really see it happening.

However what I think would be good for a park like Drayton would be a good selection of indoor rides, similar to what Plopsa and Holiday park have. My guess is it would be themed to Thomas land. But could then easily mean the park could operate almost 365 with a large indoor area.
They really only close for 2 weeks in November to get it ready for the Christmas event then the whole park is closed from the 1st Jan to the start of the Feb half term which gives them roughly 6 weeks to do the maintenance on the Thomas land rides.

Happy they added a attached picture to the site now.
Anyway on to some stuff I found out yesterday. The annual passes are going up tomorrow and I was told all 3 age groups. 12+ £110 they couldn’t confirm the 4-11 and 2-3 price but the family pass is going up to £380.
Anyway on to a park update the gift shop /haunting exit been repainted
E58743F0-3965-4EB4-8B1F-417C6C95B8CC.jpeg
I tried to take a picture of inside but the shop been split in 2 with a wall inside there and it’s all been painted white. I asked staff and they had no idea what they were doing in there.
Pandemonium site is still the same since it was removed.
7D47855F-E9D4-4CB5-A779-CC048AD1683A.jpeg
EF4F3113-23A1-4FF3-92D2-1F62D53D432E.jpeg
There also looks like there more marking around the area
891CF6CD-A52A-432E-B286-2DF329EB896E.jpeg4727F8A0-F2DD-4867-9800-F7797E50C10D.jpeg07E08ECD-A41C-4C99-A1F1-4A16F7EE4514.jpeg
Pirate Adventure looks like look it’s having some work done to it as they blocked off the entrance and the substation on the side was open. I didn’t get a picture but there’s more skips round the back of the ride
575B7887-A234-4033-83F6-519A0C35A384.jpeg
Accelerator still having major work doing to it as it’s usually open during the Thomas weekends
3E8AC4FD-FD73-407E-97F8-30B863325113.jpeg98B7EE41-8148-435A-9418-33FB4DFBF672.jpeg
from what i know it isnt a gift shop anymore and it is more seating for eat drink enjoy

I remember the year before or two years before PA closed and i am sorry for the bad quality images but i thought i would share these for you all to see and i can just remember exactly what it was like back in the day and you can also see in the final image what a sorry state some of the ride was in like looking at some of the detailing on the bridge4430A318-FA7F-482A-9EDD-A359D78E0B7F.jpegEA626D1F-07E5-4560-AF1C-E9EF80158D5A.jpegDF429A5F-10EE-46A7-955A-307F23CD0103.jpegF3B53073-CEDF-4651-B885-3C2D8355C2A0.jpeg
Like i say sorry for the bad quality but these were taken off printed photographs that i have

They have re-routed Rocking Bulstrode’s queue (although original queue fence still there) and taken some of the original queue signs. I couldn’t see why - apart from some work going on at the side of the Pirate adventure building. Looked like the electric box was being worked on.

Not sure why they have put a temp queue in when the original one looked fine - not why they would move the ride info board u less it was a more perm change.

They have re-routed Rocking Bulstrode’s queue (although original queue fence still there) and taken some of the original queue signs. I couldn’t see why - apart from some work going on at the side of the Pirate adventure building. Looked like the electric box was being worked on.

Not sure why they have put a temp queue in when the original one looked fine - not why they would move the ride info board u less it was a more perm change.
I also thought that was weird as they were using the exit gate for both the entrance and exit.
I remember the year before or two years before PA closed and i am sorry for the bad quality images but i thought i would share these for you all to see and i can just remember exactly what it was like back in the day and you can also see in the final image what a sorry state some of the ride was in like looking at some of the detailing on the bridge4430A318-FA7F-482A-9EDD-A359D78E0B7F.jpegEA626D1F-07E5-4560-AF1C-E9EF80158D5A.jpegDF429A5F-10EE-46A7-955A-307F23CD0103.jpegF3B53073-CEDF-4651-B885-3C2D8355C2A0.jpeg
Like i say sorry for the bad quality but these were taken off printed photographs that i have
That map is still in the queue line. Think the fire in the last area was the start of the downfall of the ride. The Bryan’s could have decided to remove the pirate theme from the area when the Dodgems got rethemed but they kept the pirate theme and the theming added around the Jolly Buccaneer really makes me think they got ideas for the pirate adventure building.