• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

I just tried to book some tickets. First they asked me if I wanted to take out insurance against it raining. Then they asked me asked me if I wanted to buy a chocolate bar. I was starting to get a bit annoyed, but the lady dealt with it very well. "Sir, I know it might seem a bit greedy, but we have got some really exciting new rides from Zamperla".

New MD

Interesting read!

Seems she's got a wealth of experience, mainly in the UAE / Dubai parks. Be interesting to hear her views on the parks over there as most are really struggling for visitor numbers.

Drayton once again seems like it's in safe hands though. If they continue to look towards the family / family thrill market then I can see the park doing well. It's a market that will always be there for them as Towers obviously do look to cater for the thrill market with their larger investments.

50mm of rain has to fall to trigger it. That seems quite a lot!
...that's because it is a lot!
10mm per hour is usually considered heavy rain, 25mm is considered a heavy days rainfall total, so 50mm will only kick in with around five hours of hard rain...,rarely more than ten days a year in the midlands.
Rip off add on insurance...Currys would be proud!
Further checks...50mm is a months rainfall in the midlands, and as it usually rains every third day, there will be virtually no 50mm rain days at Drayton.

I just tried to book some tickets. First they asked me if I wanted to take out insurance against it raining. Then they asked me asked me if I wanted to buy a chocolate bar. I was starting to get a bit annoyed, but the lady dealt with it very well. "Sir, I know it might seem a bit greedy, but we have got some really exciting new rides from Zamperla".

At least they didn't try upselling you a Zamperla ride to take home with you as well for commission.

Given that Drayton Manor recently went bankrupt, it does make sense for them to change their business model, and look at new forms of revenue. They might have to make unpopular decisions to bring in more revenue. However, in this case they're charging extra for something that's normally free, and putting in unreasonably high obstacles to getting the 'compensation'. To be fair, The Looping Group have invested quite a lot of money into Drayton Manor so far, but things like this rain check don't seem like a good way of doing business to me.

Just spotted today they have reduced the opening hours slightly of main season on weekdays outside of holidays. Now 10.30-4.30 instead of 10-5

Just spotted today they have reduced the opening hours slightly of main season on weekdays outside of holidays. Now 10.30-4.30 instead of 10-5

On the really quiet off peak days 6hrs at DMP is more than enough time. I can go to Towers on similar days and get 20 odd rides in so I don't think Drayton will have any issues at all with those times. Actually makes a lot of sense.

I've removed a number of posts relating to a YouTube video that was posted. As per our Member Expectations we ask all members to abide by the following:

Using media in your posts​

You should ensure that any images that you upload to TowersStreet are either your own, or you have full permission to do so. If this doesn’t apply, please link to the image/website with credit. Any image uploads should also be suitable for all (including uploads within the Courtyard Tavern). The team reserves the right to remove any image uploads hosted on the TowersStreet server.

TowersStreet also has the option to add GIFs to your posts, please use this option sparingly. They should also only be used to add and contribute to the discussion. If members repeatedly use the GIF feature inappropriately, then the option may be withdrawn.

Media embedding, which allows videos from sites such as YouTube to be added to posts is also available on TowersStreet. Videos should only be posted if they add to discussion, and should also be accompanied by opinions or viewpoints of your own. Posting videos without your own views or opinions is considered spamming, and the team will remove posts if found.
Simply posting a link to a video with zero explanation, and where it doesn't contribute something new to the discussion is seen as spamming. Such posts will be removed by the team. Thanks :)

Couple of points relating to some earlier posts. Whilst I too was tempted by the ability to purchase an annual pass now but not access it until the end of my present pass this would mean that I couldn't use the free WMSP entry as this had to be used in advance. Still a £10 increase isn't too bad.

The change of hours during weekdays may not be too much of a disadvantage for day trippers, but it does impact for a post school crowd. Not big admittedly, but it was a real advantage for those that were local.

I do think that those that visit regularly, and there are a good cluster of loyal DMP customers, the issue is not so much the annual pass price, but the rise of prices within the park with a reduction in choice and value of offerings (and discount) is more of an issue. I think since prices have gone up I have actually spent considerably less per visit.

Well with me I saved £34 on mine, my daughters and sons pass buying it early. Then I just use the £20 vouchers as my wife only would go once or twice a year cause of working most weekends.
I had a pass since 2017 and before last season more attractions were removed than added and im more than happy with paying more for the passes with the level of investment over the past 12 months with even plans already in place for next year’s investments

Couple of points relating to some earlier posts. Whilst I too was tempted by the ability to purchase an annual pass now but not access it until the end of my present pass this would mean that I couldn't use the free WMSP entry as this had to be used in advance. Still a £10 increase isn't too bad.

The change of hours during weekdays may not be too much of a disadvantage for day trippers, but it does impact for a post school crowd. Not big admittedly, but it was a real advantage for those that were local.

I do think that those that visit regularly, and there are a good cluster of loyal DMP customers, the issue is not so much the annual pass price, but the rise of prices within the park with a reduction in choice and value of offerings (and discount) is more of an issue. I think since prices have gone up I have actually spent considerably less per visit.
I suspect if you claim your pass later you'll get a voucher to WMSP with a later expirey date

Some really exciting updates over the last few weeks. That interview posted a bit back was an interesting read. Good to see they are trying to push attendance north of the 1 million mark. Building a brand new area from what was a rarely used grassy area is a great start in this, as that means more people can physically fit into the park on a general day to day basis, perfect foundation for growing attendance.

I am very intrigued about this major project for 2023. If Apocalypse goes at the end of the season, it has to be removed, then the ground prepared before any construction can begin, so you would loose a few months right there. Possibly pushing an opening date of anything major further into the 2023 season.

I personally can see two ways 2023 could go:
  1. New attraction on the Apocalypse / Pandemonium area, possibly a coaster.
  2. Something new in the space of the Pirate Adventure. Not sure what that could be yet, never even say never to a coaster, but unlikely I would say.
If stuff is already happening around the old Pirates area, that could be a possibility of the first area for redevelopment. The area not being open to the public currently, means they have a lot of time to build something major there. A huge amount of time they simply will not get on the Poccy site if it operates until the end of the season if they wanted something major on there for 2023.

I guess it also hinges on what their definition of a 'very big project' is. But I cannot see much going there that is 'very big' in terms of space and time. The footprint of Poccy, Pandemonium and even Flying Dutchman, is not that big space wise. But I accept big can mean things other than space. But you still have time to contend with.

I think though, Pirates and Poccy sites are two of the highest priority areas for development in the next few years. I think both will be re developed, question is, which one first. Exciting times for sure and I am sure that question will be clear later into this season.

I think this year, a season pass for me and my 7 year old is a must.

With Drayton being the crown in looping groups jewel's though, this is certainly a park to keep an eye on. They have made it abundantly clear that they plan to develop and grow the park.

Last edited:
I thought SteVe was the worst abbreviation in this community but you've just smashed that out of the park with 'Poccy'.

Talking of smashing Apocalypse out of the park, I don't think it's all that complicated. Six Flags St Louis removed Superman in about 3 days. The ride and building are essentially bolted to the ground, by the time the steel work is gone, there isn't all that much on the ground that can't be covered etc? They would presumably just leave the anchor for the tower in place - there's no real benefit in removing it ?

Have you never heard it called Poccy?! That name has got to have been around and used since at least 2003. Probably 2000. Not my abbreviation, I am sure it was used by many people on the old ATA board and maybe even TT, back in the early 2000's - in any case, I like smashing things out the park :)

Yeah you raise a good point actually, I guess the real thing it hinges on are if the concrete slab anchor was in the way of their new development, but I would assume they would design a new attraction around that due to the size of it. But even so, being generous, a month for removal of everything bar the anchor, queues, old landscaping, smaller buildings. It doesn't leave much time for a 'very big' development, not if they want it open before the summer holidays, which I would assume they would. As you would have thought you would want to have the best ROI for the ride over the whole season, By high summer, you are what, more than halfway into the main season.

I guess again, it comes down to their definition of 'very big'. Can mean very different things I guess.