• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

The 3 new Thomas Land rides adds an extra theoretical hourly capacity of 1680 guests, however in reality I would expect it be closer to an extra 1000 per hour.

I expect the park would be looking to replace the following rides over the next few years- The Buffalo, Giant Wheal, Flying Dutchman, Pirates Adventure and Wild West Shootout.

ideally a new coaster will open on the buffalo site and has been the rumoured location for well over 10 years for the next coaster. From what I have heard Ben 10 was built so when they did remove the Buffalo they still had a family coaster. also the once planned launch coasters station was where the chip shop was, the chip shop was moved last season freeing up more space in this area. I just hope when they finally add a new coaster it's a thrill coaster/family thrill and isn't from Zamperla like a lot of their rides recently.

I went to Drayton yesterday for their War Of The Worlds fireworks show.
9.5 out of 10. Brilliant effort for such a small park. it was nearly on par with Altons shows fro choreography and use of fireworks. The video I took of the fireworks is below, Sorry that it doesn't like focusing on one thing and the cam work is a bit shaky. I didn't have my Tripod with me. Star of the show is the swan that swims past during the show totally oblivious to the fireworks going off around it.

I'm getting slightly concerned about Pirate Adventure- although the website says that they hope to have it back in operation soon, it's been closed for a very long time.

If it does open, I hope they get some more boats. Last I heard, they only had 2 in operation.

Generally I feel that if a ride is in good enough condition to open it should. However, with the awful state that Pirate Adventure has been in the last couple of times I've been on I'd say it's better off closed. It's terrible to see a ride that so much time and effort must have originally gone into looking so run down. Sadly it's probably too far gone now to be restored to any former glory it may have once had (I know it's generally not been well regarded for years, but surely when it opened it must not have been too bad?).

I know I keep banging on about it, but I really wish Drayton would get on and build a good thrill coaster. It'd both improve their park and benefit the UK industry, and as Towers are tightening their purse strings and appear to be unlikely to see significant investment for a few years at least, now would be as good a time as any.

Sadly in terms of tightening purse strings I think that all UK parks have suffered this year. Drayton Manor used to always stay open later if they were busy. When I visited in the summer the park felt way too busy for a 5:00 close but there was no extension made, it leaves guests with a very nasty taste in their mouth when leaving the park. Particularly since we didn't get to go on anywhere near as many rides as we had hoped to.

I don't know how much cash they have but if I was Drayton management I would be looking to build a decent and well priced thrill coaster for 2017. They could really pounce whilst Towers are failing miserably. Something from Mack or Gerstlauer would be great!

:)

Agree, but I'd stay away form Gerst if I was them, they wouldn't want any association with The Smiler you'd imagine. Maybe S&S instead. Hell, maybe another MS? Premier? MACK would be suited perfectly though.

Anything that is relatively affordable would be fine, just a decent looking thrill coaster that will attract the crowds. Woodies can be quite cheap, something from the Gravity Group would be good and it can be marketed a thrill seekers as well as some families.

I don't expect anything though. :(

:)

I think it has already been mentioned, but I could really see a Midlands power shift if Drayton Manor were to put up a B&M winged coaster in 2017. Drayton Manor already cover a wider thrill spectrum than Alton Towers, from the tame rides of Thomas Land, right the way up to Apocalypse, which is more white-knuckle than anything Alton has to offer. Just add another quality coaster, and I could see them poaching many Towers regulars.

I think it has already been mentioned, but I could really see a Midlands power shift if Drayton Manor were to put up a B&M winged coaster in 2017. Drayton Manor already cover a wider thrill spectrum than Alton Towers, from the tame rides of Thomas Land, right the way up to Apocalypse, which is more white-knuckle than anything Alton has to offer. Just add another quality coaster, and I could see them poaching many Towers regulars.
But then you have the tamest of rides in CBeebies Land all the way up to Nemesis and Oblivion!

But then you have the tamest of rides in CBeebies Land all the way up to Nemesis and Oblivion!

It's personal taste of course, but whilst I always have a degree of trepidation for the first ride of the day on Oblivion, Apocalypse is a ride that I have actually left the park unridden due to my own fear of it. Nemesis is a much better ride overall, but it has never intimidated me as much as Apocalypse.
Not to mention Drayton would not be able to afford a B&M Winged coaster in a million year. Something like Blue Fire would be more their target
That's true, you'd have to be very sure that you could poach enough customers to get the finance for a B&M.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to mention Drayton would not be able to afford a B&M Winged coaster in a million year. Something like Blue Fire would be more their target
I'm not sure if DMP are a cash rich business or not, but they'd just loan it if there was a return to be had for the investment (like they did with the hotel) but I am not sure that there is. They have spent a lot of money on the hotel, Thomas, general improvements etc - but not so much in thrills, perhaps because it doesn't provide a lot of return for them.

Thomas Land has done wonders for that park, but I do wonder if it has served to pigeon hole them in the family market somewhat, which isn't perhaps a terrible thing if they have a healthy bottom line.

Thomas Land has done wonders for that park, but I do wonder if it has served to pigeon hole them in the family market somewhat, which isn't perhaps a terrible thing if they have a healthy bottom line.

You're not wrong there, Thomas has nostalgia for today's parents, yet is child friendly. I cannot see the next generation of parents having such fond memories of Iggle Piggle.

Fairly certain Drayton Manor would struggle to secure funding for a large investment of this type, their finances are not exactly cheery

Fairly certain Drayton Manor would struggle to secure funding for a large investment of this type, their finances are not exactly cheery
£23m turnover drove a £1.2m pre-tax profit last year, what would equate cheery? They've got a lot of assets to secure funding against.