• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

I don't care for shockwave but considering they did quite a substantial paint job on the station building for adventure cove doesn't scream that they want to get rid of it to me.

Me personally I think it should have been changed to a sit down coaster a long time ago, I know stand up rides are very uncommon especially in Europe but imo there's a good reason behind that.

I don't care for shockwave but considering they did quite a substantial paint job on the station building for adventure cove doesn't scream that they want to get rid of it to me.

Me personally I think it should have been changed to a sit down coaster a long time ago, I know stand up rides are very uncommon especially in Europe but imo there's a good reason behind that.
If Shockwave was a standard sit-down it wouldn't be interesting as the layout is admittedly quite simple. The standing position makes it very different though, and unique for the UK. 🙂

I believe the park are not permitted to put another coaster in shockwave's site, it was built too close to the park boundary and it has been said that if the council had realised this it's planning permission would not have been granted.

Source?
I had heard that too (or at least the current layout shouldn't have had planning permission). I think it was from an Interview with Colin Bryan many years ago. He revealed because back in those days it was all just done with maps/pencils on paper once it was built locals complained it was too close to the edge of the park and complained thinking it hadn't followed the planning permission. It turned out the coaster had been built exactly to plan but the planning officers didn't realise how close it was to the boundary when they approved it. So because it had been approved as it was built it was allowed to stay as it. He also said it would never happen today as all planned out with computers now. He also said in the same interview its as tall as he could get it because its on the Edge of greenbelt land. 120ft I think. He originally wanted it taller.

I think they could build another coaster on the Shockwave site, but not as tall or go as close to the park boundary as Shockwave does.

When Shockwave does leave the park it can’t be replaced by another coaster as part of it was built on green belt land. The locals moaned about the noise so a new coaster wouldn’t be granted planning permission.

shockwave wont be gone for ages they have just spent a ton of money on making the track and station look fresh plus the markings on the top end of the park makes it clear it be there
I don't know about ages, maybe a few years but it will be coming to the end of it's service life in the not too distant future. Like i've said previously, the other major coasters that opened the same year are both getting pretty much complete re-tracks, while at the same time Shockwave has been removed from the park's branding with the new logo.
Given that it is in the new area of Adventure Cove it would have stood out like a sore thumb if it wasn't given a re-fresh with the rest of it, but I wouldn't say that guarantees it will be staying for that much longer.
The new coaster won't be it's direct replacement location wise, but could well be it's replacement as flagship ride of the park.

Before 1990 the Zoo was the main attraction then it was pirate Adventure to Shockwave opened but really since 2008 Thomasland been the flagship area for the park. Like u think the park would be having adverts out showing off adventure cove and the new area but it’s still the old ads with the new logo.

Again, we are talking about the new big signature coaster...none has been promised or announced, a new big project is planned, nothing mentioned about a coaster.
There is a lot of presumption going on here, I remember the big new coaster for the millennium...still waiting over two decades later.
And that was from the park's manager at the time.

Again, we are talking about the new big signature coaster...none has been promised or announced, a new big project is planned, nothing mentioned about a coaster.
There is a lot of presumption going on here, I remember the big new coaster for the millennium...still waiting over two decades later.
And that was from the park's manager at the time.
Explain the markings all round the top end of drayton manor. Thorpe and chessington had markings and ended up being a coaster and most parks end up the same

Last edited:
He is indeed.
Spray markings, anywhere, can mean lots of things.
Indeed it can which is why i have stuck to what I think Drayton should get rather than what I think is about to happen. Two different things. Spray marking can mean breaking drainage or anything, however personally I have my suspicions it will be some form or big attraction, mostly likely a coaster. Mainly due to the location and the removal of most of the rides around said markings.

Last edited: