• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

Bloody hell! If that's true, then I hope they sue his arse for at least triple what he stole. That should give them enough cash for a nice big coaster.

Coming soon: "Gordon's Express Coaster": a record-breaking world's fastest launch, 0-200mph in 3 seconds, for all the family!

It's also part of the reason why Pirate Adventure was closed the majority of the season. The fact it failed H&S but also the fact they practically couldn't do anything with it as no funding.

I can shed some light, we all know how Drayton act SOMEtimes* asin the attitude they don't give a toss aka customer service etc

ANYWAY, a budget was put aside for Pirate Adventure.. But it went missing. HR did some digging turns out one of the rides managers were taking a "bonus" shall we say out of EVERY new ride budget for himself including most recently Air Race!

And when questioned understandably he "suddenly" left the company. Shame that people like this work in this industry, I assume Manor are taking him to court. I know I bloody will! But what are the off chances of HR looking into his receipts and statements so on. Crazy!
That is shocking, I hope he gets what he deserves - what a disgrace to the industry!

It's also part of the reason why Pirate Adventure was closed the majority of the season. The fact it failed H&S but also the fact they practically couldn't do anything with it as no funding.

and if Pirate Adventure is redone its what the park needs, a family attraction for pretty much everyone. Thomasland is a bit boring for parents but Disney proves that dark rides that cater to all ages are a good idea. I think with a bit more effort on catering to older 8-10yr olds Drayton could easily be the family park that Chessington thinks it is.

I think if pirates ever does become anything other than pirates it will simply join Thomas land, especially with it being next door already.

Drayton has quite a few flat rides, but what it needs next is a coaster! (A adult one and not Thomas land!).

Sadly, I'd be amazed if Drayton build anything aimed at the over tens age group any time in the next decade. :(

I think the place could really do with a good.....tidy up. It's such a weird mess of rides, dotted around the oddest shape park in the UK.

Even Thomas Land is getting rammed full (of Zamperla's entire catalogue).

The area around Apocalypse and Ben10 reminds me of a seaside pleasure beach.

Drayton Manor does not appeal to me. I love water rides that don't get you fully soaking. However the rapids and storm force 10 get you soaked go the skin. The coasters don't look that good and seem poor in comparison to Merlin coasters (even Chessington). They seem to only invest in Thomas Land which is nice but I still prefer other kids area like Cbeebies Land or Peppa Pig Land. From the videos I have seen, the new part looks like a bunch of small rides put on some tarmic without much proper theming. The flat ride collection is very poor compared to Thorpe Park. The only reason why I would ever even consider to go is for Apocalypse. It looks good. However, the negatives for me clearly over weigh any positives. Therefore, I am not even considering to go there next year (only if they get an ENORMOUS RIDE). I am going to either Alton Towers because Galatica looks very good. I might go to Chessington because it has such an amazing atmosphere with all the good theming. Then there is Thorpe Park which I am really interested to see what Derren Brown Ghost Train looks like. Sorry to be negative at Drayton Manor but I feel it needs a serious revamp to make me ever want to go there.

Personally I think Drayton's flat ride collection is pretty good.

Maelstrom, Air Race and Apocalypse are all great.
In addition they've got Pandemonium, the pirate ship, Drunken Barrels, Jolly Buccaneer, Big Wheel, etc

Does anyone know if they are adding any new rides this year? I seem to remember talk of a further Thomas Land addition, or development of the farm area, but is anything happening?

The only thing I have seen them mention (eg http://www.draytonmanor.co.uk/blog/2016/01/getting-ready-for-2016/) is a new Tamarin Trail in the zoo.

Also, does anyone know what is happening with Pirate Adventure? Is it going to be open this year? I'm worried it still wont be given they haven't mentioned it in that post, but do talk about painting Maelstrom and working on the Haunting etc.

I didn’t realise that Drayton Manor had a blog. Apparently they had record attendance in 2015, presumably beating 1994. Their fireworks and Christmas events helped lift the numbers.
http://www.draytonmanor.co.uk/blog/2016/01/dmtp-0924/

It’s positive to hear this, as Ride Rater just reported that the company lost money in the previous financial year:
http://riderater.co.uk/5627/drayton-manor-accounts-show-255000-loss/

It’s interesting that they set this record in the same year that Merlin were reporting a big fall in visitors following The Smiler accident.

I don't know what Drayton Manor are adding this year, but a few parks are going quiet. A while ago people were reporting that Lightwater Valey would be adding some SimWorks tunnel this year, but there's no mention of it on the website. Heritage GB seem to have several other projects in the work for other attractions. Pleasurewood Hills have disappointed a few people with their wave swinger (although they have had several big year recently so we probably can let them have one or two quiet ones). Oakwood had a brief rush with Neverland, but has also gone quiet again having apparently dopped the Sleepy Hollow idea. In fairness to Flamingo Land they have announced a new project involving wood. On the downside they're not building a woodie. They're just planting some trees.

I am excited for Thorpe Park's Ghost Train, Alton Tower's additions and Paulton's Park's new area, but hopefully we'll have a couple of surprises in the next few weeks.

That’s really interesting that they made a loss for 2014, and I think confirms that they wont be adding a big coaster any time soon.

In 2013 they added the Winston ride to Thomas Land, and made a profit of £1.2 million (according to that riderater article).
In 2014 they added a thrill ride (Air Race), and made a loss
In 2015 they did a big Thomas Land expansion, and got record visitor numbers.

Given this sort of history, why wouldn't you carry on catering to the family market.

Personally I think Thomas Land is big enough now, and they should copy what Paultons are doing, and try and create a different themed area. While I can't see them putting in a big thrilling coaster, I think something like Dragons Fury at Chessington, could be a good addition.

While I can't see them putting in a big thrilling coaster, I think something like Dragons Fury at Chessington, could be a good addition.

Whilst I think something similar to Dragon's Fury would be a good addition, Drayton badly need a proper thrill coasters since the two they have are awful. Something like a Mack megacoaster (ala Helix or Blue Fire) would be perfect.

It’s an odd one. Generally theme parks tend to move in the direction of themed areas as they mature, but at Drayton Manor it tends to come and go. Action park had a fairly consistent wild west theme until they got rid of the Klondike Gold Mine. Fisherman’s wharf has a reasonably consistent theme as well, although the lands kind of spill into each other a bit. There’s also a few pirate themed flat rides near Pirate Adventure.

After Thomas Land I though immersive area would be the way they’d go, but outside of Thomas Land it hasn’t happened.

Whilst I think something similar to Dragon's Fury would be a good addition, Drayton badly need a proper thrill coasters since the two they have are awful. Something like a Mack megacoaster (ala Helix or Blue Fire) would be perfect.

Don't they also need a family-thrill coaster though?
Y'know, because they don't have one.

Don't they also need a family-thrill coaster though?
Y'know, because they don't have one.
I'd say Ben 10 but that would be stretching it. :p Anyway, the chances of them being either one or the other, never mind both seem pretty slim anyway and I wouldn't expect it for a while.