Drayton Manor Park

Discussion in 'European Parks and Attractions' started by Matty, 15th Jun 2012.

1. RussellH

RussellH TowersStreet Member

If anyone is interested in the Vekoma coaster @Maelstrom described, this looks pretty similar to a NL2 coaster currently on their Facebook banner.

TheMan likes this.
  2. TheMan

TheMan TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    NemiLerVion
    Hmmm

They may well have made the right decision. Looks impressive, but that interaction between tracks is poor and although just an animation, it's hardly inspiring.

I refer back to my earlier post about great value smaller coasters on the market that pack serious punch nowadays.

One of the mini RMC coasters would be a real feather in the cap unless Towers are planning on one... which I still have a funny feeling they may at some point.

3. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    They've probably realised that if you didn't want to pay for parking at Drayton you didn't have to. There were never any checks when leaving the car park for whether you had paid or not so anyone who knew thay could just drive out without paying!

:)

Jordan likes this.
  4. Gezz

Gezz TowersStreet Member

We got a promotional brochure through the door recently, and as well as the Tamarin Trail addition to the zoo (which opens tomorrow) they are also adding a high ropes course called Vertigo this Summer.
    This is going between the Buffalo and Entrance 2, and will apparently provide good views over the lake.
    It wasn't mentioned, but I assume this will be an additional charge.

Also the map didn't even mention the Pirate Adventure, lowering my hopes of this opening again any time soon. :(
    Does anyone know what the actual issues are with this?

skyscraper likes this.
  5. skyscraper

skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    on the website, it just says that Pirate Adventure is currently closed for maintenance, and they hope to have it back up and running soon.

6. Cheese

Cheese TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Helix, Liseberg
    It would take more than what would generally be termed maintenance to get that heap to an acceptable standard for operating. With the state it was in last time I rode I'd honestly rather have it closed. What's most disappointing about it, and I say this as someone who isn't much of a fan of pirate boat rides, is that clearly loads of effort went into it when it was new.

Jonathan likes this.
  7. Leah

Leah TowersStreet Member

Any opinions on when the best dates to visit are? Looking for a quietish day to get the coasters and apocalypse (maybe, possibly, I don't like heights;)) done. Thanks.

8. ThemeParkCrafter

ThemeParkCrafter TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Th13teen
    Why go to a park that cares about the rides? Seriously, I have no interest in the park. Apocalypse is good and Thomas land is alright (if you are a fan). Stormforce 10 and the rapids get you too wet and the water is dirty. The coasters (not troublesome trucks) are boring and old. Pirate Adventure will probably never open. Haunting is just a bad version of Hex (I know haunting was built earlier).

Go to Blackpool instead if I was I you. In summer, an extra 3.5 hours of ride time but of you do you to drayton, go midweek not in the holidays.

9. Dar

Dar TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    ^That's great, but if they've never been to Drayton, it's worth it so they can form their own opinion on the rides.

Plus, they're not going to get on a stand-up coaster this side of Italy :p

jon81uk likes this.
  10. Leah

Leah TowersStreet Member

I want to go because it's different. I've been to towers, thorpe, chessington, legoland countless times. I just want to try some different rides for once. They might not be great, but I haven't visited in six years and there's a few rides I'd like to try.

And I'm planning a trip to pleasure beach this year too ;)

ZeldaAlton and skyscraper like this.
  11. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    I always recomend Drayton over Chessy or LLW when work friends mention their younger kids want to go to a theme park.

12. ThemeParkCrafter

ThemeParkCrafter TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Th13teen
    Definitely recommend chessie and legoland. I love theming so these parks are great for me, but Drayton only care about Thomas land. I predict it will take up all the park in the future! :)

13. skyscraper

skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    I'm going to the Pleasure Beach for the first time on 1st may!

Last edited: 24th Apr 2016
  14. Ted

Ted TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Drayton's not the best park in the UK, but I say Poccy, Maelstorm, Drunken Barrels, Ben 10, Thomas Land and Stormforce 10 are all really good. If you've never visited there before, you'll have a good day as long as you get on these.

Leah likes this.
  15. tp

tp TowersStreet Member

@Leah I went last Sunday and it was really quiet - everything was walk on all day, bar Ben Ten. It's a great little park; maybe try a Sunday soon in early season if you can't do midweek (and if you *do* midweek, watch out! Lots of schools visit Drayton and those days get very busy!)

skyscraper and Leah like this.
  16. Cheese

Cheese TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Helix, Liseberg
    I don't think there's any particular time to avoid Leah really, or at least no more than any other park. Operations are usually alright, and the lack of fastrack means a queue gets the ride's full capacity. Perhaps a Sunday early in May? I've been once or twice a year since 2011, and it's been relatively quiet on most of those visits (at least outside Hit Entertainment's Mockery of the Railway Series Land). There was one visit though where it seemed massively busy on paths but queue times were acceptable; it was scorching hot that day, so I think a lot of people were just happy to mill about, and they extended by about 2 hours. We were amazed!

Leah and DiogoJ42 like this.
  17. Dar

Dar TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Do try and get to G-force early though, it's not got a great capacity! :p

18. Jonathan

Jonathan TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Helix <3
    And queuing for it inside the building for nearly an hour when it's rather warm isn't terribly pleasant. :p

19. Burbs

Burbs TS Site Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Untamed, Walibi Holland
    When we were there in August last year, it was a Sunday and the weather was beautiful. Didn't rush around the park at all, and I still got 18 rides in, even with the added faff of TowersStreet... :)

20. Leah

Leah TowersStreet Member

Thanks everyone :D great advice.

Will look into booking soon. Can't wait to get a credit for shockwave and stand up apocalypse :)