• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

Any up to date word on Shockwave. A somewhat unreliable source insists it's going soon but can't seem to find any real mention of it on Google.

Any up to date word on Shockwave. A somewhat unreliable source insists it's going soon but can't seem to find any real mention of it on Google.
I haven’t heard anything pointing that way myself; certainly nothing official, and I haven’t even heard any rumours.

Not sure if this is anything to go by, but Shawn Sanbrooke, who’s now sort of involved with the park through the official construction updates and the like, was talking about the possibility of it being retracked like Nemesis and The Big One in his recent vlog…

To be honest, I’m not sure I see Shockwave being retracked like Nemesis and The Big One are. I think both of those rides were far more iconic for their respective parks and well loved by consumers than Shockwave is, and Shockwave with its 1.4m height restriction is arguably somewhat of a stark contrast to Drayton Manor’s new family thrill target audience.

As far as I am aware their are now current plans for its removal. There were rumours just before the looping group purchased the park it could be on its way out, much like what happened at American Adventure and park focused on kids. Luckily the looping group have focused on the broader family market, with family thrill rides featuring and while shockwave is 1.4m it still has a place in the park. While we see Nemesis having a re track, nemesis has run around the track alot more than shockwave has over the same period and stresses on the track/supports will be very different as well. There are many steal coaster much older than nemesis/shockwave that are still running fine without having to have a complete re-track.

Not sure if this is anything to go by, but Shawn Sanbrooke, who’s now sort of involved with the park through the official construction updates and the like, was talking about the possibility of it being retracked like Nemesis and The Big One in his recent vlog…

He was not talking about the possibility of it being re tracked I do not think. He was echoing something that has been said on here many times before...

Which was, seeing as it is the only one of the big three to not have a re track, with it being the same age, the future of the ride is questionable.

Last edited:
The biggest problem now for Drayton is space. Was reading up and Drayton only got permission in 2020 to built on the area where Vikings is now as it was classed as green belt land.
I think the looping group have really messed up in the short time as replacing a family thrill coaster for a wave swinger, play ground and picnic area and it has fitted the whole of the area together nicely they only left with the top end of the park to fit a new coaster.
When they do decide to remove the Buffalo coaster what sort of family coaster will replace it?

When they do decide to remove the Buffalo coaster what sort of family coaster will replace it?
I remember hearing that they did design a duo of dueling launch coasters from Vekoma to go there a few years back, but the plans got scrapped for whatever reason.

There was also something from S&S mooted for the spot for 2018, allegedly, but those plans went out the window after the Splash Canyon incident.

I don’t think Jormungandr will be going any time soon, though. They just integrated it into Vikings at great expense (it even forms the entrance archway to the area), and I’d wager that putting Vikings upon the land next to it has given them significantly less space to work with if they were to replace Jormungandr with a new coaster.