• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

So I received an email realting to the halloween and fireworks event. I see that there are limited free tickets for annual pass holders so seeked to book. The only date offered is 30/10.

The code on my annual pass is not valid. Which is correct as it expires at the start of October. So I look to renew...but this means I will be "double pass"ed as the new pass would be valid from today. I won't be the only one experiencing this, any long standing members who were season pass holders pre-looping an pre-covid will have pretty much the same issue.
Yeah I’m in the same boat as mine don’t end to the 17th Oct and I already brought ours back in March before they put the prices up.
With the fireworks on at 6pm with selected rides only open to 7pm I think I may just go to the Halloween event instead and skip the fireworks as can see them at the Christmas event.

The size and where the coaster is doesn’t matter as it’s not seen from outside the park but the roar and the screaming can be heard and that’s what the locals were moaning about.

I've got the same Annual Pass problem not well thought out, though I'm going to park this weekend so I may just pop into guest services and see what they say about it while on park. Also if they have any free pins left.

Well there can’t be many who brought the new pass in March 2020 as a week later we were in total lockdown and the pass was extended to July 2021 after they reopened in July 2020 but cause of the 2nd lockdown in November 2020 to April 2021 they extended the pass to mid Oct 2021.

At Drayton today. Still no chute 5 on Apocalypse though it's connector was down unlike the other closed chutes so don't know if that's good or not. Asked about fireworks tickets for passholders. It seems if you don't have a new pass ie one you can enter online you can't get a firework ticket. That seems poor to me since they were selling old style passed until March so they should have a way for them to get fireworks tickets too.

At Drayton today. Still no chute 5 on Apocalypse though it's connector was down unlike the other closed chutes so don't know if that's good or not. Asked about fireworks tickets for passholders. It seems if you don't have a new pass ie one you can enter online you can't get a firework ticket. That seems poor to me since they were selling old style passed until March so they should have a way for them to get fireworks tickets too.
They were trying to get it to work on Monday morning as it a problem with the release mechanism that’s why it’s still down as it’s still connected to the car. They gave up around 1pm and opened with just the sit down side.
Think it’s gonna be a tough decision if they gonna keep the ride as it looks like all 4 sides will need major work to bring it back to life. It may work out cheaper to remove and bring in Jolly Roger (pleasure wood hills) or Venom (West Midlands Safari park) as a replacement and theme it to fit the new area.

It may work out cheaper to remove and bring in Jolly Roger (pleasure wood hills) or Venom (West Midlands Safari park) as a replacement and theme it to fit the new area.
I'd be very happy if they did that. I, perhaps controversially, actually prefer Venom to Apocalypse; it's my favourite UK drop tower!

I love those Fabbri towers; Detonator also sits very highly for me!

I'd be very happy if they did that. I, perhaps controversially, actually prefer Venom to Apocalypse; it's my favourite UK drop tower!

I love those Fabbri towers; Detonator also sits very highly for me!

Personally I think Drayton would be much better off getting a new drop tower rather than taking a ride from a different Looping Group park. Yes, they could take Jolly Rodger or Venom but then that means that would leave (metaphorically) a big hole in either of those parks that would presumably need replacing with another ride. I think that if you are removing an iconic ride in Apocalypse then you’d want to replace it with something else that will go in to be iconic and a feature attraction. An Intamin Gyro Drop Tower (such as the rotating tilting seat model) would be perfect if they have the budget for one.

But then again I do wonder if a long term strategy for Looping Group could be to eventually remove the zoo from DM with the animals going to WMSP and the amusement park from WMSP going to DM as part of a new themed area on the site of the zoo?

Personally I think Drayton would be much better off getting a new drop tower rather than taking a ride from a different Looping Group park. Yes, they could take Jolly Rodger or Venom but then that means that would leave (metaphorically) a big hole in either of those parks that would presumably need replacing with another ride. I think that if you are removing an iconic ride in Apocalypse then you’d want to replace it with something else that will go in to be iconic and a feature attraction. An Intamin Gyro Drop Tower (such as the rotating tilting seat model) would be perfect if they have the budget for one.

But then again I do wonder if a long term strategy for Looping Group could be to eventually remove the zoo from DM with the animals going to WMSP and the amusement park from WMSP going to DM as part of a new themed area on the site of the zoo?
If they got a new one they should go for a Larson Super Shot drop tower. These are apparently really forceful despite their small size, and there currently isn't one in the UK!

8-4.png

Drayton wouldn’t have the budget for a new coaster and drop tower.
I been reading more into the fireworks event and it’s totally not worth the money unless you got a pass.
The rides in Adventure cove and Viking’s will close the queues around 5 so they can get every out the area with the rides in Thomas land and the rest of the park at 5:45 so all attractions will be closed by 6pm then after the fireworks finish only the Viking area is reopening to 7pm with a DJ.

I been reading more into the fireworks event and it’s totally not worth the money unless you got a pass.
The rides in Adventure cove and Viking’s will close the queues around 5 so they can get every out the area with the rides in Thomas land and the rest of the park at 5:45 so all attractions will be closed by 6pm then after the fireworks finish only the Viking area is reopening to 7pm with a DJ.
By the way, do you think it's likely that Drayton will close on the 19th? I'm hoping for official confirmation via their social channels soon as I'm supposed to be going that day.

Why not? Looping Group absolutely have the money and their biggest competitor 30 miles up the road is now seemingly investing quite heavily.

Drayton Manor will need to keep up investments some what. I know the target markets are somewhat different, but they do overlap.

As others have said, I’m not sure Drayton is really a national player on the same level as Towers these days, at least in terms of targeting the more universal market.

You could make a case for Thomas Land being a solid competitor to CBeebies Land for the young family demographic, but other than that, I don’t think Drayton really competes in the same ring as Towers anymore, and nor do they aim to. Towers targets a fairly universal demographic and is a fair bit more thrill-focused and aimed toward older families, whereas Drayton is more aimed toward younger families like Paultons and Chessington, for the most part.

I’d also wager that a huge level of investment into Drayton wouldn’t be financially viable; the park only gets 1.2 million guests a year to Towers’ 2.5 million (both park-sourced figures for the 2019 season).

No body is saying they are a national player either.

The parks are 30 miles apart. It there abouts. They are relatively close.

They can and do very much compete with each other. Drayton has a much better kids offering and it does take familys away from Alton Towers. As Alton takes potential people from Drayton due to better thrill rides.

Not everyone wants to drive across the country they want something local. The two main Midland players are Alton and Drayton. People do chose one of the other based on their offering.

Drayton is a big player in the UK theme park industry it is one of the top attended parks as far as we know. It's definitely viewed by the public as one of the major parks. They do also have the budget for a big investment, if they don't then they can borrow, Drayton is usually very profitable (although it had problems after the rapids incident). There is no reason Drayton cannot be a Looping's biggest money spinner.