• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

That’s not worked all year. Think they removed her so they could install the light and smoke machine inside.
I was under the impression that the strobes and smoke activated while the animatronic was rising? The part at the end of the cycle where the swing is stationary with the effects operating is when it's supposed to rise. My mate told me when I asked him about it.

I was under the impression that the strobes and smoke activated while the animatronic was rising? The part at the end of the cycle where the swing is stationary with the effects operating is when it's supposed to rise. My mate told me when I asked him about it.
No. The maintenance team just isn't bothered as it'll take too much time to fix such a minor effect. They're most likely going to fix it in the closed season though.

Here's a fun fact I discovered today of the Haunting. The old Scrim that showed the vicar in the portrait before revealing the head is still there untouched. You can see the book on the bottom right of the Portrait where the lady is, and if you look carefully, you'll notice its silhouette. But when the backstage lighting is on, you can fully see the Vicar Painting. The projection only covers it.

Smoke machines weren't working on the ride today as well. The only time one of them worked is when we switched off all of the effects at the end of the day, and the smoke machine at the back of the library started to go full swing and we couldn't switch it off lol!! After a few minutes of non stop smoke flowing in the room, the smoke was at our necks and we couldn't see the floor at all, heck, not even our chests XD. Soon maintenance managed to fix it though.

Last edited:
Wonder if they could properly paint Jormungandr on a closed day? It's already peeling. Also doesn't help Vikings is a really poor area anyway.

I thought Vikings was pretty good as a whole. Ride wise, the flats are really nice. Though we stalled on Thor's hump for a few seconds (happens every so often and being investigated as it shouldn't be doing that) and I felt a bit queasy on Loki as it was a fair bit faster than expected.

Loki doesn't really have much force and it an operations nightmare, Thor is the inferior Disk'o layout, Sleipnir is sparse and Jormungandr you can't escape is knackered and needs to be replaced

Loki doesn't really have much force and it an operations nightmare, Thor is the inferior Disk'o layout, Sleipnir is sparse and Jormungandr you can't escape is knackered and needs to be replaced
Forgot to add that Jormungandr was very smooth for me, and I was near the back of the train.

It's smooth but oh god it screams and limps about. Needs the train binning and replacing with something more like RMTs setup with more motors so it actually moves

I was surprised at how much it appeared to struggle. It does pick up some good speed in places, but it appeared to really be struggling to get up many of the inclines, and on some of the higher parts of the ride, it didn’t feel much faster than walking speed. Or maybe brake run speed on your average coaster.

I wouldn’t call it rough per se, but I think it’s surprisingly fierce in places for something that small/slow. Some of the turns do whack you about a bit compared to the Mack Powered Coasters, and I should say that I was perhaps shielded somewhat from the ride’s maximum roughness due to being sat in a row on my own (therefore I slid about a little due to the shared lap bar).

I was surprised at how much it appeared to struggle. It does pick up some good speed in places, but it appeared to really be struggling to get up many of the inclines, and on some of the higher parts of the ride, it didn’t feel much faster than walking speed. Or maybe brake run speed on your average coaster.

I wouldn’t call it rough per se, but I think it’s surprisingly fierce in places for something that small/slow. Some of the turns do whack you about a bit compared to the Mack Powered Coasters, and I should say that I was perhaps shielded somewhat from the ride’s maximum roughness due to being sat in a row on my own (therefore I slid about a little due to the shared lap bar).
I was in a row on my own too, that's a good point.

That is because the ride is clapped out, as it was when I last rode it twenty years ago, when it was about to be replaced, because it was clapped out.

I feel like Drayton Manor have burdened themselves somewhat with retheming Buffalo Coaster into Jormungandr and making it such a prominent part of their Viking area. The ride seems like it’s more than ready to be put out to pasture and replaced with something more suitable for the long term. To be fair the retheme probably didn’t cost too much but ideally you’d have thought that it’s time for something newer and more interesting to take place.

The problem they got now is space as they could have built a good sized thrill coaster on the site of the vikings but now they added 3 rides in that area and another coaster going onto the Pandemonium and Test track site. They really only got the current coaster site and maybe some more of the lake area.

I am still boggling about the desription of as a poor area. You can pick fault with any ride in any park but I think that Vikings is a significant and positive addition to the park which will only get stronger as the naturual theming starts to bed in.

The points about the Buffalo are legit. I would have defended this ride as it was a fave but since the refurb I don't think it is worth the queue times which seem to rival anything else on the park.

The biggest bugbear about the area is the lack of a toilet.

On an aside I found that when I rode Loki on Monday - same day as Skyscrapers documented visit - it did seem more speedy and have more "pop" than on previous visits. Don't know if anyone else has found this.

I am still boggling about the desription of as a poor area. You can pick fault with any ride in any park but I think that Vikings is a significant and positive addition to the park which will only get stronger as the naturual theming starts to bed in.

The points about the Buffalo are legit. I would have defended this ride as it was a fave but since the refurb I don't think it is worth the queue times which seem to rival anything else on the park.

The biggest bugbear about the area is the lack of a toilet.

On an aside I found that when I rode Loki on Monday - same day as Skyscrapers documented visit - it did seem more speedy and have more "pop" than on previous visits. Don't know if anyone else has found this.
There are toilets on the other side of the Vikings park entrance. You just need to get a hand stamp as they are outside the park.