• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

Apocalypse was also open throughout fireworks nights last year. I guess one mitigating factor is the one operating chute faces away from the houses

Reading the comments from the main 1st event last night a lot of comments about how long they had to queue for the scare attractions.
Most people would have booked for the whole day so they would have gone on shockwave and Maelstrom in the day time.
Even during the fireworks event the ride queue lines will start to be closed at 5pm so they can get ready for the fireworks at 6pm then afterwards only the vikings area and Apocalypse will open to 7pm.
wasn't that bad if you timed it well waited 15 minutes for the haunted express 10 minutes for castle of screams and 45 minutes for the hunt but that was because a actor was assualted so they had closed it for about 30 minutes

Yeah years ago rides use to operate to 9pm but was reduced in 2019 to half 8. 2020 couldn’t go ahead and was half 8 last year but after the fireworks most people went home.
Anyway update from today as had to renew mine and my Daughters passes. Heads up on anyone wanting to go on the 30th there’s lots of tickets left.
So got to the park about half 1 and I never seen it so quiet.
59DF16B3-E084-4FFC-96D5-9BDC4D9B5CF7.jpeg3A16A6EF-CAAE-4240-9F74-4DFDA413424D.jpeg
I like that the looping group is always looking to improve the park and they currently installing lighting in the car park
79A8D2C1-D7A4-4192-8E27-A59017D78947.jpeg
They added a new entrance sign over the bridge
6288A4F5-63A3-4DF5-9097-C1BADABEC773.jpeg
In the surf shack they added more ride parts and there also Apocalypse T-shirts in there.
C940360B-AFD1-4391-B590-D1467E6B852A.jpeg1ADB0699-124E-4779-9038-5F9DB7E0BFA2.jpeg
Cause the park wasn’t that busy they were only loading Loki on 1 end only.
D6925D92-06A8-449A-84BC-1C9DCB1389A1.jpeg
Apocalypse ground has been levelled up
0FCDA429-1875-4F07-9565-5F9B8E73E57C.jpeg
Not noticed this before on the side of the pirate adventure building
887531E3-56BE-4842-8BE0-DE1E82E07401.jpeg

Anyway I think this was Drayton strongest Halloween event ever and we did the castle of spooks
107BA3C3-58B4-4242-8E63-EDF09BBD0156.jpeg
You were greeted here by a scientist who in groups led you into area where u met a good witch he also handed bags out for the kids.
27001230-A53E-4E08-B977-474828E29904.jpeg
The kids and adults had to help her make a spell for sweets and at the end kids got a sweet each.
The following area you met the court of the castle who taught you the dance moves you needed later and gave you another sweet.
You when met another witch who made you do challenges (kids vs adults) and the winner got another sweet (shock the kids won again)
243DD455-87B2-4A27-8403-5FF72B3E81CA.jpeg
After watching the vlogs from the castle of screams this is so much better put together and it lasted nearly 30 mins.
911B9561-473F-406C-9F36-5A73E6C70B62.jpeg
My kids then did trick and treat with Rusty, Dusty and Sir Topham Hatt and got another 2 sweets.
I got talking to the staff and they had sold roughly only 200 tickets for the night at the manor event tonight. They give u wristbands and security were leading non wristband guests towards the exit.

Night at the Manor is quite a poor event.

The ride line up, as discussed, is quite small and some unusual choices (Buffalo instead of Accelatator, no Drunken Barrels).

The Castle is OK at best. It's very short and all of the actors are behind huge metal fences which totally ruins the immersion. Some nice sets but I think that's mainly just what is in the building anyway.

The Haunted Express is a highlight. Very unique storytelling and the first use of headsets that I have found to be effective. Experience varies massively depending where you're sat on the train though.

The Hunt is absolutely abysmal. A nighttime walk through a (on Sunday) flooded zoo. The scariest thing was the possibility of getting your feet soaked as the attraction has no lighting (they ask guests to use torches on their phones). Seemingly only one actor in there for "scares" as well as a host.

I'm not sure if it's deliberate but the event was attracting large number of teenagers, rather than adults, to the detriment of the experience. The age restriction needs to be higher really for a separately ticketed event.

The park is utterly soulless, especially the area around Apocalypse and The Haunting. No audio, no atmospheric lighting, no guests wandering pathways (but plenty in slow moving queues).

Potentially something to build on, but not currently a good event.

th
Anyway I think this was Drayton strongest Halloween event ever and we did the castle of spooks
107BA3C3-58B4-4242-8E63-EDF09BBD0156.jpeg
You were greeted here by a scientist who in groups led you into area where u met a good witch he also handed bags out for the kids.
27001230-A53E-4E08-B977-474828E29904.jpeg
The kids and adults had to help her make a spell for sweets and at the end kids got a sweet each.
The following area you met the court of the castle who taught you the dance moves you needed later and gave you another sweet.
You when met another witch who made you do challenges (kids vs adults) and the winner got another sweet (shock the kids won again)
243DD455-87B2-4A27-8403-5FF72B3E81CA.jpeg
After watching the vlogs from the castle of screams this is so much better put together and it lasted nearly 30 mins.
911B9561-473F-406C-9F36-5A73E6C70B62.jpeg
My kids then did trick and treat with Rusty, Dusty and Sir Topham Hatt and got another 2 sweets.
I got talking to the staff and they had sold roughly only 200 tickets for the night at the manor event tonight. They give u wristbands and security were leading non wristband guests towards the exit.
thats interesting when I did it you met the witch another witch and a proffesor at the end

Night at the Manor is quite a poor event.

The ride line up, as discussed, is quite small and some unusual choices (Buffalo instead of Accelatator, no Drunken Barrels).

The Castle is OK at best. It's very short and all of the actors are behind huge metal fences which totally ruins the immersion. Some nice sets but I think that's mainly just what is in the building anyway.

The Haunted Express is a highlight. Very unique storytelling and the first use of headsets that I have found to be effective. Experience varies massively depending where you're sat on the train though.

The Hunt is absolutely abysmal. A nighttime walk through a (on Sunday) flooded zoo. The scariest thing was the possibility of getting your feet soaked as the attraction has no lighting (they ask guests to use torches on their phones). Seemingly only one actor in there for "scares" as well as a host.

I'm not sure if it's deliberate but the event was attracting large number of teenagers, rather than adults, to the detriment of the experience. The age restriction needs to be higher really for a separately ticketed event.

The park is utterly soulless, especially the area around Apocalypse and The Haunting. No audio, no atmospheric lighting, no guests wandering pathways (but plenty in slow moving queues).

Potentially something to build on, but not currently a good event.
also the hunt has had multiple changes over the days since the animal issues and one of the actors being assaulted on opening night

Had a fantastic day at Drayton today, my first time seeing Adventure Cove and Vikings in person and I was very impressed. It certainly feels like the park is on the up after a rocky few years. Queues were minimal but I wouldn’t say it was really quiet. Didn’t venture into Thomas Land so no idea what it was like in there. Longest queue was probably for Accelerator and we waited around 25 minutes.

Ride count as follows:
Shockwave x 3 (first, second and third row)
Apocalypse x 3
Maelstrom
Wave Swinger x2
Thor
Loki
The Haunting
Sleipnir (just the kids) x3
Accelerator
Air Race
Bounty

First time on Shockwave in at least 10 years for me, and I was pleasantly surprised. My only ‘rough’ ride was on row 3. I’d imagine it gets rougher the further back on the train you go. Front row ride was brilliant, that zero g roll is so fun.

Stormforce was closed for the majority of the day, only opening briefly this morning. I am starting to wonder how much life this ride has left. Maelstrom was running a really short cycle I felt, but still a great ride.

Bounty is a great pirate ship. Much prefer it to The Blade at Alton Towers. Loki was good fun, as was Thor.

Had to tear the kids away from Tidal Towers playground. Nice little play area, Towers could do with investing in something similar outside of CBeebies land.

It was really sad to see Apocalypse in the state it’s in now. Whilst I understand why they’re getting rid, it’s still a shame to see it go. Glad my eldest child got to experience it before it goes, she loved it. Got my Apocalypse T-shirt. Shops seemed to have a good stock of them behind the tills.

Thought I’d share a few snaps from today:

B174690A-1FAB-4530-96D9-C9E94DCAD6FC.jpeg
D07FA22C-E583-4C05-9692-0B5743B6B1CD.jpeg
46DC9C77-4BA7-4280-832C-43B256040A2E.jpeg
2C387C96-BF3C-4A46-874E-08999D800CA6.jpeg
5FF3E175-4326-4A19-938B-E4CE8F82C164.jpeg

I think they will keep it as long as possible but been 20 years old it’s outlived Alton Towers thrill flat rides.
The park for how long I been going have had a tall drop tower with the paratower from the 80’s to 96/97 then Apocalypse was meant to replace that but they opted to invest in the kids attractions and the log flume.

Last edited:
Weird, wonder why it felt so short to me today then ahh well. Still my favourite gyro swing that I’ve done.

I think Maelstrom is just about the best gyro swing in the UK ahead of both Cyclonator at Paulton’s and Eagle’s Claw at Lightwater Valley. Cyclonator I think actually gives a much more thrilling and intense ride than Maelstrom but it’s uncomfortable restraints let it down.

I find Maelstrom to be a very fun ride but try and get yourself on Loke at Liseberg sometime, that’s an Intamin Gyro Swing on the next level. The extra height, extra degrees of swing angle, near miss with Balder and the fact that it has lapbar restraints (as opposed to OTSR) make it an absolutely phenomenal ride and one that gives you a genuine “Oh s—t!” feeling the first time you ride it and experience the top of the of the swing. I’d love to see DM replace Maelstrom with its big brother model whenever the time comes.

Last edited:
Cyclonator at Paulton’s was very good when I rode it last year, but I agree about the restraints. Much prefer the ones on Maelstrom.

Liseberg is on the (very long) list of parks to visit for sure. Lap bars sound insane.

I think Maelstrom will be tough to replace with a different ride but if the former owners can replace the sky flyer for a up graded version of the ride in Pandemonium. I’m sure they could have Maelstrom 2.0 this time it’s stronger, faster and higher than before. Ride if u dare.